Can an apartment complex refuse to renew a lease?

Asked by Brenda, Dallas, TX Thu Oct 30, 2008

My complex has been renovating the property and units this year. My lease expires in Jan 2009 and I recently received a letter from management stating that they are giving me a 60 day notice to move, encouraging me to lease a newly renovated unit. The renovations are purely aesthetic and the rent increase would be approx. $175/mo for the same floorplan I currently have. I don't want to move and I'd like to get them to negotiate on rates. Can they refuse to renew my lease for no good reason? Do I have any recourse? What's the best approach to getting them to lower the monthly rent if I choose a renovated unit?

Answers

6
Mhglass, Renter, San Diego County, CA
Mon Jul 19, 2010
Can the owner of an appartment complex in CA terminate a lease early and not give the reason?
Viktor Taush…, Agent, Dallas, TX
Thu Oct 30, 2008
Sure they can. This is right of the lanlord.
Scott Godzyk, Agent, Manchester, NH
Thu Oct 30, 2008
Unfortanately they can. Brenda you can simply talk to them, tell them you like it there, you realize they are trying to move you out of your unit so they can renovate it, and you appreciate the opportunity to mov to a newly redone unit, can they leave the rent the same. Be nice, even if you have to bite your toungue, if you get no reply then ask for a manager, tell them the situation and see if you can ppeal as a person not just a number to them good luck with trying.
Web Reference:  http://www.ScottSellsNH.com
Bruce Lynn, Agent, Coppell, TX
Thu Oct 30, 2008
Brenda,

Push as best you can, but they don't have to do this. You might see if you can stay in your place as long as possible, but that might just be a matter of a month or two or three. Maybe they could rennovate yours last. Just as you don't have to renew the lease and could move if you wished at the end, they can also do the same. From the owner's view it makes sense to rennovate if they can get another 175/month, but I know if you want to stay it is not a good situation for you. No recourse that I can think of....in Dallas we don't have any rent controls that I know about. How full is the complex. I'd be surprised if they can kick out everyone and refill it that fast. Negotiate if you can, make an offer they can't refuse.
Web Reference:  http://www.teamlynn.com
Josh M. Boggs, Agent, San Antonio, TX
Thu Oct 30, 2008
Brenda,

Unfortunately you seem to be stuck between a rock and a hard manager. As for your original question, yes they can refuse to re-lease to you. You may have really great reasons for renting and I'm sorry that our stuck with this situation, but that's again one of the many reasons why owning is so much better than renting. Baring an act of God or Imminent Domain, your living comforts are not ever forced to change.

If anything, I may suggest speaking with the regional office about this if you aren't getting anywhere with the manager. Show them that you've been an excellent tennant and try to plead your case that way.

God Bless,
Josh
Web Reference:  http://www.eXposedHomes.com
Fred Glick, Agent, Mountain View, CA
Thu Oct 30, 2008
Hi Brenda,

When you signed a lease, it had a beginning and ending date. That means that it ends. They are not obligated to renew the lease for any reason.

It looks like they are trying to "upsell" you. Ask them what they will do if you move. Will they fix your apartment up and get the higher rent? Also, ask them if they have any of the non-renovated units that you can move into.

Best of luck!

Fred