Can I revoke the contract?

Asked by Michael, Georgia Tue Sep 23, 2008

I bought a defective TV from a local seller. The TV does not working properly. Its voice activating feature misunderstands my commands all the time. I want to revoke the contract but do not know whether doing so is appropriate. Please help me. Thank you

Answers

6
answer
, ,
Thu Sep 25, 2008
When all else fails, "Read the directions."

That applies especially here on Trulia.com, since we discuss real estate here and hope not to have to waste our and our readers' time answering inane, inappropriate questions.

All of us trying to "answer" this moronic question are merely wasting our time, treading water, since the questioner is clearly not a serious person and will never return to read our answers.

Where's the moderator (is there one?) to delete such foolishness before it somehow captures our attention, like a cat watching a shiny object?
Joshua Jarvis, Agent, Duluth, GA
Fri Sep 26, 2008
That's actually laughable.

You want to revoke a contract because you can't operate the TV correctly. Is the TV worth more than the house?

It's not April 1st...

I apologize, I can't even take this question seriously. Thanks for the laugh though.
Lee Taylor, Agent, Decatur, GA
Thu Sep 25, 2008
I wrote an article called "Society is Indeed a Contract" back on May 25th, and it is an appropriate reference for your quaint malady right here, right now. Here's the link:

http://intowninsider.com/2008/05/society-is-indeed-a-contract/

You may want to reference this pontification, before you tackle those guys over at Geek Squad. Being inappropriate is preventable.

"Each contract of each particular state is but a clause in the great primaeval contract of eternal society, linking the lower with the higher natures, connecting the visible and invisible world, according to a fixed compact sanctioned by the inviolable oath which holds all physical and moral natures, each in their appointed place."

You, Michael, have been appointed the most intriguing question so far this week.
James Dudley, Agent, Suwanee, GA
Wed Sep 24, 2008
Great question Sarah!

It's good to know that we Realtors are really looked upon as the go to source for everything!

As I read Michael's question again you can really see that communication is the key to everything. I would hate to have to have an argument with my TV!
Sarah S. Tur…, Home Owner, Atlanta, GA
Wed Sep 24, 2008
You do realize you're on a real estate website, correct?

TV contracts and real estate contracts are two different kinds of contracts. I would suggest reading over the contract yourself, and see if you find any verbiage that suggests any kind of warranty or repair clause that would give you indication as to whether you money is refundable or if you can get a repair guy out there for free to repair the TV. You'll have better luck calling the store you bought it from, speaking to the Manager, and asking this question; rather than fielding it to a bunch of Realtors.

Good Luck Michael & if you have any real estate questions or need a Realtor to represent you through the home buying process; please don't hesitate to contact me.

Sarah Turner, Realtor
Sanctuary Real Estate
300 North Highland Avenue
Atlanta, GA 30307
404 323 9976
sarah.turner@yourownsanctuary.com
Lise Desorme…, , Atlanta, GA
Wed Sep 24, 2008
Voice activation systems are often very sensitive and need to be programmed a few times before they work well. Speaking clearly and naturally during set up is critical. For example: you may be trying to speak slowly and loud so the system will understand you and then when you've completed the set up and are attempting to use the system the system does not understand you because you are now in a normal mode. Try redoing the set up with this in mind.

I'm not sure what kind of contract you have, is this a monthly plan? Does the local seller have a repair policy? Or a return policy? How long has it been since you purchased he TV? I am assuming this is on a monthly plan since it appears as though you want to cancel payment to the local seller. In that case there must be a cancellation clause in the contract.

Hope this helps!
Web Reference:  http://rmr-usa.com