Are you guys familiar with the name Randy Scott Harper and Marcia Harper?

Asked by Adanna Bullen, Brooklyn, NY Sat Aug 30, 2008

They are trying to lease an apartment in this building for $800. Apparently they want me to sign a lease agreement before I even check the place out. I thought that was a little fishy so I decided to do some homework myself. Harper Properties is the name of their lease agreement. I guess they're living in the UK and would like someone to occupy the place for 6-8 yrs. Just thought I should do a background check before I go into anything with them.

Answers

8
Amanda’s answer
Amanda, , Pennsylvania
Sun Oct 26, 2008
No, I never got my money back. I'm still trying to get it by just annoying the hell out of them by calling and emailing constantly. They have stopped answering the phone and I haven't gotten a return email for over a month now. If I ever get it back, I'll be sure to let you all know!
Z, , Brooklyn, OH
Tue Sep 9, 2008
I was on the verge of contacting the police and setting up a "sting" since we figured the scam out before we lost any money but unfortunately my experience with police is that they don't have the time to take care of things like this in NYC (and I'm way too busy myself right now)... Maybe I'm wrong, so if someone has the "Harper's" on the hook, maybe they should contact the police and see what can be done. Someone still has to pick the money up at Western Union, no?
Andrew, , New York, NY
Tue Sep 9, 2008
hey guys, it is clear that this is a scam, I have been a victim of the Harper's as well, but it seems that they are also using different names to continue the scam. This question is for Amanda, were you able to get back your money, if so how did you go about doing that? For every one else, how do we stop these criminals, it is clear that thye are taking advantage of unsuspecting people with there story. Is there anything that I can do to resolve my problem?
Juliet, , BK, ny
Sat Sep 6, 2008
I have also been in contact with "Valerie Harper" and they wanted me to western union them $200 to send the keys and lease to me, although I haven't seen the place either. It definitely looked too good to be true.
Z, , Brooklyn, OH
Mon Sep 1, 2008
My gf and I have been emailing back and forth with Randy Scott Harper and his wife, "Valerie" regarding an apartment at 145 Prospect Park West for $800 and a multi year lease... I too am doing a background check and am glad I found this info. We haven't been offered a lease yet, but it looks like we won't even bother anymore. We've been skeptical from the beginning as there were weird discrepancies with the address. (145 PPW is Park Slope Prime, not Windsor Terrace). We actually stopped by the building yesterday to scope it out, and "Harper" was no where to be found on the door buzzer. This apartment is in too great of a location to be rented out for only $800 a month, (equivalent of winning the real estate lottery).
Amanda, , Pennsylvania
Mon Sep 1, 2008
I tried interacting with these people and after they had my 1st, last, and security, which they wanted before giving me the keys or lease (so that I couldn't make off with the keys) they told me that a family friend was going to live there instead. I've been trying to get my money back for nearly a month. I've reported them to the UK as a scam.
Florbela, , Brooklyn, OH
Mon Sep 1, 2008
I saw that listing - I think it's a scam. First, it's too good to be true. Second, one should never sign a lease before viewing the space. Third, their email reply was really fishy.
John Youker,…, , Beavercreek, OH
Sun Aug 31, 2008
Your best bet is to hire an attorney, no real estate agent could legally help you with this situation. Good luck.