Already have a section 8, but want to buy a house with it . How do I go about it?

Asked by tomcordasco, Encinitas, CA Wed Jun 5, 2013

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Cory La Scala, Agent, San Diego, CA
Wed Jun 5, 2013
Hi Tom,

The first step is to contact the Public Housing Authority to begin the process. When you've qualified, you can contact an agent who will work with you and the housing agency. As you can see by the lack of responses, not many agents know the program, or will take the time to understand it to work with you. Find an agent who will. But, first there's a lot to know, and this is only touching the surface.

You'll have to qualify for a fixed rate loan to purchase a home, meet income and employment requirements of the program and of the lender, meet the program's guidelines and attend homeownership counseling sessions. Assistance may be in the form of monthly payments, or as a down payment assistance grant if funds are available. Requirements include receiving rental assistance through the HACSD’s Housing Choice Voucher program for the last 12 months, qualifying as a first time homeowner, having $1000 in a savings account for a year or more, plus a lot more. Then if you qualify, you'll be added to a wait list. Those who have the largest amount of non-committed seasoned savings (over a year) to apply toward down payment and closing costs, will get top ranking in the list, but there are other considerations.There are several regulations you must follow while living in a house with this assistance, as well, even though it wouldn't be a rental.The assistance is limited to 10 years, so it doesn't last the life of a standard 30-year loan.

It's a process, but it's never to early to get started. Good luck to you!

0 votes
James Pinson, Agent, Oak Lawn, IL
Wed Jun 5, 2013
Not sure I understand your question - you are a renter and want to buy a house with your section 8 voucher? Or do you own a property rented with section 8 and want to buy another property using that income? Please explain further or better yet, contact a loan officer, explain the situation and see what he/she can do for you.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
How To... in La Mesa Zip Codes

Email me when…

Learn more