Adding on the Deed?

Asked by JH Teddy, Bellevue, WA Sun Jan 4, 2009

Any recommendation on how to add a person on a New Jersey house's Deed of Trust. The house located under the Hudson County.

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


William Leigh…, , New Jersey
Tue Jan 6, 2009
Beebe: I am a Real Estate Broker, not a lawyer. To be honest, I don't even know what a "Deed of Trust" is. A deed is a conveyance. It says that the grantor alienates the property in favor of the grantee. It is a legal document and must be produced by an attorney. Individuals may be able to generate their own deeds but I know for sure that Licensed Real Estate people cannot do this.

Once a deed is passed between parties, it is usually filed at the County in which the property is located. This filing is done in the county clerk's office. If the deed is not filed, the last filed deed will be the indication of ownership and the party to whom property tax bills are sent.

Therefore, "adding" a name to a deed would mean a conveyance to additional owner(s.) I would assume that the deed would have to be generated by an attorney and then filed. Obviously, if you have pledged the property as security for a loan, the lender will have a great deal to say about any change in the ownership and therefore the deed. This may be "fixed" by simply adding the new owner to the mortgage. On the other hand, it may be that the lender will not accept an additional owner under any circumstances.

The bottom line in all this is that you need legal advice and you need to clear any change in ownership with anyone to whom you have made any security pledge or who has an equitable interest in the property. You should start there, not with a Realtor.
1 vote
Scott Godzyk, Agent, Manchester, NH
Sun Jan 4, 2009
Usually you can quit claim someone on but you should really contact a real estate attorney, closing or title company to do it for you. in most cases a deed will be $150 plus recording fees which are miinimal. good luck
Web Reference:
1 vote
John Sacktig, Agent, New Jersey, NJ
Sun Jan 4, 2009
In most cases, as stated below, speak to a real estate attorney or just go down to the township and ask how to go about doing it.

Can hurt to try on your own.
0 votes
Walter Burns, Agent, Hoboken, NJ
Sun Jan 4, 2009
I recommend speaking with a NJ real estate attorney. I have several that I can recommend to you in Hudson County. If you are interested in their contact information, please let me know.


Walter J. Burns
Weichert Realtors
1 Newark St.
Hoboken, NJ 07030
201-653-8488 Ext: 230
201-694-8946 Mobile
201-653-4154 Fax
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more