working for a builder instead of a brokerage?

Asked by Chris, 95037 Sat Nov 21, 2009

anyone ever do this and pros and cons please

Answers

5
T.E. & Naima…, Agent, Dallas, TX
Sat Nov 21, 2009
You can make a living working for a builder with desirable homes and locations. You will find the limitations of selling only the builder's homes can be frustrating. You, for example, may know there is a home in your builder's neighborhood that matches perfectly what the buyer prospect wants, but you can't sell it.

You may also find that the sales systems and sales management of a builder can be strange and counter-intuitive. You may have to close the office on days and times when you know people are looking. The forms and computer-based reporting may be arcane and hard to deal with. When you're your own boss, you decide when to open and close, what documentation to create and how to handle it. You'll have to fit in with the builder's systems and policies, including things like cross-selling credit.

If you do decide to go private, you will likely want to keep your license active, just in case.
Web Reference:  http://www.MyDFWLakeHome.com
Chris Tesch, Agent, College Station, TX
Sat Nov 21, 2009
I like TE's well thought out answer, but I would add that one of the upsides would be predictable hours and a chance to not answer the cell phone 24/7. Some days I would treasure the ability to be "off". No email, no phone, no anything....that doesn't happen except Christmas and Thanksgiving typically.
Web Reference:  http://www.ChrisTesch.com
Lesliemck86, Home Buyer, Goose Creek, SC
Mon Jun 19, 2017
I have been job searching both for MONTHS. I have seen that a lot (almost all) home builders in this area require an active real estate license. And they are also asking on job postings for some kind of experience in the real estate industry.
T.E. & Naima…, Agent, Dallas, TX
Wed Nov 25, 2009
Most builders will ask you to put your license in inactive status. This is to avoid any conflict of interest. You will find also that most builders prefer to hire a housewife with no high school diploma than a seasoned Realtor with a college degree. This is simply because of liability reasons, as a Realtor you know too much and they prefer to have someone that they can "mold" according to the company's culture.

One of the biggest downside is that you have to work on weekends. If your spouse is on the same schedule that's great otherwise it can become a strain. The money can be very good with the right builder and the right community.

Naima
Janine Love, Agent, The Woodlands, TX
Sat Nov 21, 2009
The pro is you don't need a real estate license. The con I'm sure would be that you get moved from community to community.