why are the home prices so low in valley center?

Asked by Roger Baughman, Escondido, CA Mon Jun 28, 2010

Answers

4
Resident Sin…, Home Owner, Valley Center, CA
Tue Jan 4, 2011
I live in Valley Center and the reason home prices are so low is we are far away from everything. Figure you're 20 minutes from the grocery store, 20 minutes from the freeway, 20 minutes from school. There are no large grocery stores here. We are prone to wild fire (2 in 5 years) so its hard to get insurance. Utilities are expensive. There are fees on the water bills equal to the cost of water to pay for the pumps to get it to your house. It's hot in the summer (100+) and cold in the winter (below freezing) so figure you're going to use more power to be comfortable. No gas, only propane deliveries. Developers have seen cheap land and plunked Los Angeles style developments in an area with 2 lane mountain roads and not enough fire and police service. Remember that 20 minute comment? It will take the fire and police department longer to get to you too. Figure you're on your own and live accordingly. We have mountain lions, bobcats and coyotes and they like to eat pets. It is a lot of work to live here and many people can't cut it. - 10 year resident
Diane, Home Seller, Carlsbad, CA
Sat Jun 16, 2012
Honestly, I don't know. I have lived here for 10 years and after growing up and living by the beach for nearly all my life, living here has been a dream. The weather, except for the hottest days in summer, is wonderful here. Mild and beautiful. In the winter nighttiimes can be cold, but not that bad most of the time. The air where we live @ 2,000 elevation is clearer and cleaner, it seems. Our views of the mountains nearby are spectacular. There is real room between homes so you can have your privacy, or get to know your neighbors if you're so inclined. We have our horses here on our land, and our home is beautiful. When people come to visit they really don't want to leave because the feeling you get while here is one of peace and tranquility. Yes, I know. It takes us 25 minutes to reach the freeway, 15 minutes to reach the first grocery store. Our little market here is ok but nothing spectacular. And yes, you do have to be hardy, because you have land you have to take care of, and trees, weeds, bushes, etc. We have a great fire department right down the hill from us, no more than 7 minutes away. When we called for ambulance two years ago they showed up in less than 10 minutes. I hear our schools are great, and we have 4-H and things for children. We have had fires here I think twice since we've lived here and the fire department and volunteers were organized, helpful and very kind. Everybody chips in and helps when needed. I love it here. I will never move.
Kari Shea, Agent, San Diego, CA
Mon Jun 28, 2010
Hello Roger,

Any question regarding pricing is based on a complex set of variables. Here are the basics about the Valley Center market which is 92082:

1. For all SFR there are 91 listings, avg SF = 2,819, avg LP = $621,516, avg DOM = 107
2. There are 40 properties in escrow. avg SF = 2,367, avg LP = $504,654, avg DOM = 65
3. 100 properties closed escrow in the past 6 mos, SF = 2,754, avg LP = $435,162, avg SP = $427,813, avg DOM = 95

The conclusions we draw from the data are:

1. Smaller lower priced properties are selling. Avg SP is 32% less than LP, that is a big gap for 2010.
2. Higher priced larger homes are not.
3. There is a high volume of REO & Short Sales.

We hope this helps as you can draw your own conclusions as well.

Mark and Kari Shea
Real Estate Experts Serving San Diego County
Specialists in Investment Properties, Foreclosures, Short Sales,
Development Opportunities & Traditional Real Estate
Joan Wilson, Agent, San Diego, CA
Mon Jun 28, 2010
Everywhere in San Diego county is lower than before. Actually, Valley Center has held up better that a lot. If you want to maximize your sells price....give me a call.

It is my Goal to Increase the Success and Profitability of Those I Serve

Let me know if I can help you in any way!

Joan Wilson (Realtor, SRES, Ecobroker, Certified REO and Short Sale Specialist)

California Cool 4 Sale
Prudential California Realty
Direct Phone: 760-757-3468
800-975-7481 x 111
Fax: 760-946-7894
JoanWilson@prusd.com
License # 01341483

Find Your Dream Home:
http://JoanWilson.PrudentialCal.com