Ivan Hurlsto…, Home Seller in

which agent sells the most houses for top dollar in 92104

Asked by Ivan Hurlstone, Mon Apr 21, 2008

Hi Ivan,
I do not know that market so I cannot recomend an agent. However, I will tell you a few pitfalls to watch out for and give you my advice if you havnt gone to market yet.
Your absolute best bet for finding a good agent is a referral from a friend who has sold locally. They will tell you the agents that didn't work for them and the ones that did. Ask everyone you know.

Sometimes the big agents who have LOTS of listings price their listings way too high. I've seen it a lot. Of course, not all of them but some. They tell anxious selleres what they want to hear and the seller signs up. I see it all the time. And the seller ends up on the market for a long time, making 2, or 3 price reductions doing what I call chasing the market. They start too high (bad pricing) and by the time they reduce, the market is (a) less interested because the listing is stale and therfore perceived as "something wrong with it" and (b) the market has gone down in the meantime so they are STILL priced above market. At some point the seller has to give up completely and fire sale the house to get it sold. In fact, if it had been priced properly from the beginning they likely would have sold faster and for a better price.
Her is the pyscology; Buyers like bargains(perceived) and what they really like are houses that other people want. It's human nature. So, price it well.
So, I guess all of this is to say is interview a few agents (whether the biggest or someone else) look at their method for coming up with the price and (do a little of your own research and compare it to the answers you are getting), ask about how many open houses and their marketing plan, and then make your decision.
Your gut will know what to do.
One more thing. In my opinion the 3 things that sell the house are proper pricing (price to sell) and how the house looks. I cannot over emphasize making the house look great. Get rid of 50% of the stuff in the house. No kidding. The little nicknacks people have in their homes make it look cluttered. It's a huge turn off to buyers. Keep you house spotlessly clean. And FLOWERS!!! I have found, that when a buyer pulls up to a house that has blooming flowers in the garden that become entranced and seem to overlook faults in the home.
So, to sum up, price, clean uncluttered home and flowers.
This is the core of advice I give to all my sellers. But I could talk endlessly. If you have any questions feel free to drop me a line or give me a call.
I wish you lots of success!

Sarah Dupree
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat May 24, 2008
Here's a questions to ask yourself? Is commission an issue?
to find the best agents. go to foxtors.com
Are you looking for an Realtor/Broker to sell your home top dollar ? Keep me posted if I can be of help to sell your home.
Ruben Sanchez: Realtor/Mortgage: Broker
Web Reference: http://www.RuBenRealty.com
The agent who sells the most houses is not the criterion you should be using. To be frank with you, in this
market you need an agent who (1) can price the house right and be able to convey to you through fact that your house may or may not be worth what you think it is. Today in my opinion 80% is the price. The majority of buyers want more for their money than they did years ago. One needs to be fully aware of what is happening not only in sales, but what the oncoming foreclosure picture looks like. For example if a house 2 doors down from you has an auction date of July 1st, that house will be on the market by August and probably priced below yours..so in this market being aware of the oncoming homes is a valid tool in pricing (2) Selling the house is a numbers game. You need an agent who has the marketing down pat..from the web to networking.
TOP DOLLAR: in todays market would you rather get 500k and sell your house in 1 month. Or Get 525k and have your house on the market for 6 months--while paying taxes and mortgage?
Remember, interview a few agents and hire based on who fits your needs, not who has sold the most in your particular area. Good Luck to you!!
Web Reference: http://www.abellre.com
Hi Ivan,

I am a North Park resident and an agent in the North Park office of Ascent Real Estate -- I'm sure you see our signs around the neighborhood. We represent many buyers and sellers in North Park.

I know North Park extremely well (good pockets and bad), regularly attend broker's caravan so I know the homes on the market here, and have a great feel for the market value of homes and condos in the area.

I was honored to be selected a “Five Star: Best In Client Satisfaction” real estate agent for 2008 by an independent research firm that surveyed 24,500 recent home buyers in San Diego as well as industry professionals. Those selected represent less than 3 percent of the more than 12,000 agents in the San Diego area and we were featured in San Diego Magazine.

It would be my pleasure to provide you with the same exceptional service that earned me this honor. Please visit my web site and give me a call!
Web Reference: http://www.peggywalkush.com
Hello Ivan,

Keith hit the nail on the head.... You want an agent that can effectively fulfill your needs and provide highly personalized service. Our team, Cotter & Associates, would love an opportunity to interview for the position. We are a small boutique practice that has become deeply established in the metro San Diego market place. Please review our website and let us know how we can help.

Best of luck to you!
hi Ivan

I'd like to mention the Redfin blogger who writes about North Park, Hillcrest and Ocean Beach. Her name is Carol and she keeps her finger on the pulse of these communities. Redfin bloggers are primarily focussed on communities and do not promote particular properties or agents. We try to be unbiased. Nevertheless, we invite you to consider a Redfin.com agent to aid your search.
That information is available from a Realtor in your area.

Word of caution: Just because they sell the most dollar volume doe snot necessarily mean that they are the best Realtor for your needs. I encourage you to interview a few Realtors and make you choice on a broad criteria:
1. Do they understand your situation and objective in selling the property
2. Do they know the local makret trends
3. Do they have a marketing plan that can be tailored to your needs
5. What are the expected resutls, what happens if those resutls are not achieved

Keith Sorem, Real Estate Pro in Glendale, CA