where can I found out about legal roof and garden rights to build new in jersey city dowt?

Asked by Elena, 07302 Wed Jun 4, 2008

i own a four family house building (4 stories) in jersey city downtown and i would like to know if i can build an extra story and expand the apartments using the garden space. anybody knows where or how to get this information and also can reccomend building contractors? thanks a lot

Answers

3
Kenneth Verb…, Agent, PRINCETON, NJ
Wed Jun 4, 2008
Suggest you speak to local architects, with the move towards more green buildings you may be headed for a lot of resistance.
Cynthia Sams…, Agent, Jersey City, NJ
Tue Mar 29, 2011
You may need to get a sprinkler system done as well. First, get an architect who knows the most accurate building codes. Get plans drawn. Have them approved by the Building Dept. and Historic Dept. It takes alot of planning and time. You can get more information at the Building Dept. 4th floor at 30 Montgomery St. And also, go to Historic Dept. on 14th floor at 30 Montgomery St. for more information.

Cynthia Samson
RE/MAX Villa Realtors
201-946-2700
Nader Rezai, Agent, Jersey City, NJ
Fri Nov 5, 2010
Hi Elena, If you are in an historic neighborhood building up might get tricky if it is an option at all. You can start with the building department and/or the Historic Board to better understand your limits. I have done extensive renovations in downtown Jersey City and work with local developers. Feel free to contact me directly if you want to discuss further. My contact information is at http://www.hudsongold.com. Best of luck!