when stating sq. footage do you include two car garage or is it just living space.

Asked by Diana, Asheville, NC Mon Aug 1, 2011

Answers

15
Tanya Donaghy, Agent, Nebo, NC
Mon Aug 1, 2011
Only living space is included in square footage. However, there are certain criteria that has to be met in order for it to be considered finished living space. For example, Finished square footage must be space intended for human occupancy. It must be heated by a conventional, permanent heating system. It must be finished, with walls, floors, and ceilings that are constructed from materials generally accepted for interior construction. It must also be directly accessible from another portion of the living area. If you've got sloped ceilings, as in A-frame homes or in the attic where ceilings are usually sloped at a sharp angle, you can't just measure room dimensions where sloped walls meet the floor. Include only the square footage for the portion of the room where the ceiling height is at least five feet. To be included at all, a minimum of one half of the finished area of the room must have ceilings at least seven feet high.

These are just a few examples, but there is quite a bit more that needs to be taken into consideration when calculating the square footage of what you're selling. If you have a multiple level house with stairs or bay windows, there is even more to this calculation.

Here's a link that might help you... http://www.netplaces.com/real-estate-investing/for-sale-by-o…
Victory Prop…, Agent, Raleigh, NC
Tue Sep 15, 2015
When you read a real estate listing, the square footage will only include living area. If you see "GLA" this means "Gross Living Area." It should only include the above grade living area and should not include the finished basement unless three of the four sides are above grade.

Seeing "GBA" stands for "Gross Building Area." This will include the square footage for all livable areas including the basement but not areas such as sheds or garages - since no one wants to actually "live" in those areas.

I hope that helps.
Sean, Home Buyer, Hollywood, FL
Sun Sep 13, 2015
I live in hillywood fl
the realtor that lives in my development says my house is only worth $290,00 my house is 2400 sf new baths floor kitchen 60000 in up grades .
the house two doors away sold for 274,000 2000 sf
and a few door down the house just sold for $250,000 1600sf .
she tells me the appraisers do not count square feet
Randy Duck, Home Buyer, Lecompte, LA
Fri Feb 13, 2015
A contractor told me you have to include everything including garages and porches when calculating total square footage. His price per square footage is much lower than most when he builds a house. He charges around $70.00 per square footage for the majority of his houses. But he is a building contractor and not a realtor so theirs a big difference. I can see his point since it makes it a lot easier for him to come up with a more accurate total price. Does anyone know if a sunroom attached to a home which wasn't included in the original house plan count as part of the total square footage?
Hi Randy,

Everything has to be included for tax purposes, but as Tanya explains realtors only count heated spaces and those spaces must be contiguous. For example, you have a nice family in the basement, but you have to access it through an unfinished part of the basement....you cannot include the square footage of the family room. It would be called a bonus room. The sunroom can be counted if it is heated and is accessed through heated/finished space. An example would be enclosing a screen porch and installing a permanent/not mobile space heater.

Hope this helps.

Debbie

Deborah H. Francis, PhD, CRS, GRI, ABR, ePRO, SFR
Asheville Area Realty
Broker/Owner
Asheville, NC 28805
cell: 828-553-9019 email: deborah@dhfrancis.com
Please visit my website; http://www.LiveInAshevilleHome.com
"Your Move is My Mission….Proactive Problem Solver"
Flag Wed Feb 18, 2015
Jeanne Feeni…, Agent, Basking Ridge, NJ
Mon Oct 22, 2012
Square footage should not include garage or basement --- even if finished. Here in NJ you rarely find square footage listed - but buyers do ask.

Good luck and best,
Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service, Unsurpassed Results
Web Reference:  http://www.FeenickHomes.com
Toni Romano, Agent, Spring, TX
Tue Aug 9, 2011
You only use living sq. footage.
Bonnie Baird, Agent, Grand Rapids, MI
Tue Aug 9, 2011
You can only calculate living area, garage area is not included.
Daniel Fisher, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Tue Aug 9, 2011
square footage is reported as heated square footage, unheated square footage and other square footage. Generally, the heated, finished, and accessible areas of the home are considered heated, a garage is usually unheated and the open porch is other square footage
Sharon Lewis, Agent, Garner, NC
Sun Aug 7, 2011
So many great answers. When you do go to purchase the home, double check the square footage.....just saying :)
Debbie Franc…, Agent, Asheville, NC
Mon Aug 1, 2011
Diana,
In addition to all that was said below, the square footage for the garage is included in the tax records, but not on the MLS. I have seen some realtors count extra space in the garage as unfinished living space, but that is not really accurate. As explained below, any new finished space must be contiguous to existing space. This can occur when a garage is enclosed and finished off. Now if you have an oversized garage, you may want to highlight that on the MLS sheet, but you would not include the square footage.

Hope this helps.

Debbie

Deborah H. Francis, GRI, ABR, ePRO, SFR, GREEN, Fine Homes Specialist, CRS Candidate
Prudential Lifestyle Realty
Associate Broker/Realtor®
7 Orchard Rd., Suite 101
Asheville, NC 28801
"Your Move is My Mission"
Keith Norris, Agent, Asheville, NC
Mon Aug 1, 2011
Hi Diana

Any type of garage, carport or unfinished basement would not be considered
in a square foot calculation. Only heated, finished, and accessible space can be
considered for the square foot calculation.

Keith Norris
Realtor® ABR®
j.d. Jackson Associates Inc.
190 Merrimon Ave.
Asheville, NC 28801
828-258-2222 office
828-279-5242 cell
828-251-0877 fax
Heidi DuBose, Agent, Asheville, NC
Mon Aug 1, 2011
Hi, the stated square footage you see in home ads here refers to the heated living space. Garages, basements and other non-heated areas are listed separately or not at all. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance!
Kathryne Alo…, Agent, Asheville, NC
Mon Aug 1, 2011
Normally the garage is not counted in total sq. footage since it is not living space and usually not heated.
Brandie D. H…, Agent, Asheville, NC
Mon Aug 1, 2011
Dear Diana,
Excellent question! When stating MLS or listing square footage, it would only include the heated, finished, directly accessible space with ceiling heights of 7' or more. The garage would not be included as it would no be considered heated, finished space. Feel free to contact me directly for your real estate needs.
Respectfully,
Brandi D. Huffman, REALTOR
Nancy Doyle, Agent, Cape Coral, FL
Mon Aug 1, 2011
Here we offer both. Under air would exclude the garage, it is sqft under air conditioning. Or in total sqft you would count the garage. I hope that helps!!

Have a great day,
Nancy