what percentage of the homes that need house levelilng also need serious repairs by plumbers?

Asked by Tony, Windsor Park, Austin, TX Sun Nov 13, 2011

Answers

3
Betina Forem…, Agent, Austin, TX
Tue Jan 24, 2012
That will all depend on the amount of leveling needed. If the foundation is in serious condition you may also want to budget for electrial, and sheetrock and window repairs. It took many years for the foundation to get out of alignment so moving the foundation in one day causes things to move suddenly and cause cracks and other damage. Be sure to budget for this. Good luck!
Jackie Ogier, Agent, Austin, TX
Sun Nov 20, 2011
Hi Tony --

I've helped both sellers and buyers in East Austin regarding properties with foundation issues. There is always an extensive list of potential repairs that could be needed after leveling. Besides plumbing, windows, flooring, and walls could crack, doors/window become inoperable, etc. The severity of the foundation deviation and age/material of the plumbing may give you some insight. Ask your foundation company for their statistics or have a plumber give you their assessment before you begin work. I think their expertise would be beneficial to you. Also, the foundation companies my clients have worked with offer a plumbing check after the level to check as for leaks/damage as part of service. I wish you all the best!

Jackie O.
REALTOR, GRI
"The First Lady of Austin Real Estate"
Mission Realty
JackieO@JackieORealEstate.com
512.507.8167 direct
David Matthys, Agent, Cedar Park, TX
Sun Nov 13, 2011
Hi Tony
While the possibility of plumbing issues certainly arise when there are foundatuion movement. It would truly depend on the extent of the movement. Also factors such as soil movement, plumbing pipe type, and is the home a pier and beam home or a slab home. After selling for 20 years, I have senn it to be true that about 10% of homes with foundationm problem need another type of repair such as plumbing.
I hope this was helpful. David