what makes a kitchen 'gourmet'?

Asked by Sharon1, 17402 Mon Aug 23, 2010

Answers

18
Robert Lee, Agent, Arlington Heights, IL
Wed Mar 2, 2011
It all depends on your personal tastes. I, personally would prefer granite table countertops, bar stools, double sinks, sky lights, are just some of the ammenities that make up a "gourmet" kitchen
Ranj Mohip, Other Pro, Chicago, IL
Tue Jan 25, 2011
There is no legal definition of "gourmet." It's a fluff term like "spa bath."

The information in this answer provided by Attorney Ranj Mohip is general information and is not intended as legal advice, nor does the attorney intend to create an attorney-client relationship with any reader by answering this question or otherwise contributing as a member of Trulia.com.
Dorene Slavi…, Agent, Torrance, CA
Thu Aug 26, 2010
Dear Sharon1,
A "gourmet" kitchen would have some of the features that a professional or gourmet cook wants These would include
Spacious Kitchen area
Professional multi burner gas stove(Viking or other pro brand) with convection
High powered exhaust hood
Pro brand refrigerator(Jen Air or other)
very generous counter space with easy to clean surfaces,
John Walin, Agent, Libertyville, IL
Tue Feb 1, 2011
The answer is relative to what is considered highly upgraded for the same neighborhood or community. For example, if you live in a gated community 0f 500k-$1M homes, you might need to have the high end stainless appliances and venting, custom cabinetry and large granite work areas. Whereas in a modest home, gourmet might mean having Kenmore stainless appliances and standard cabinets with corian tops, with no island.

Gourmet means "fancy" in real estate parlance. One thing you don't want to do is put in super fancy fixtures in a modest home inconsistent with the area. A $8,000 oversized range and $2,000 vent don't belong in a $200k house!
Please select "best answer" if you like my response...

Tue Jan 25 2011, 08:07 - Delete this answer
Suzanne Hami…, Agent, Orland Park, IL
Mon Aug 23, 2010
The other answers are true - a lot of times it is fluffy language used by the realtor. However, a true gourmet kitchen means several things. First, it means size. It needs to be large enough to accomodate a large island and have plenty of cabinets and counter space. Second, a real gourmet kitchen used to mean high end commercial appliances, like a cook would use. That line has blurred a little.

The generic term these days I have seen in listings means a larger kitchen with nice finishes and plenty of room to cook. If you do cook "your a gourmet" you would like the kitchen.
Ty Dwyer, Agent, Richmond, VA
Mon Aug 23, 2010
Upgraded, expansive, good stove and fridge, with a good layout, higher end finishes, lots of room to spread out food and people if necessary. GAS is important, pot racks, good lighting, smart design. and island, double sinks. upgraded upgraded upgraded, but it must be designed so that cooking and preparing food is smooth as silk. That's my opinion off the cuff. :)
Alcazar9, Home Buyer, Miami, FL
Fri Jul 3, 2015
A gourmet kitchen is a kitchen with professional appliances of high performance. Easy-to-clean surfaces, and storage for specialty items. A spice collection. The kitchen should be set up by stations where to prepare food, cook, clean and serve food. A big variety of good quality professional pots
The cutting and chopping station needs to be able to move around and up and down according to the size of the chef using it. A gourmet kitchen should be of high performance.
John Walin, Agent, Libertyville, IL
Sat Jan 19, 2013
dual fuel oversized range, and fancy hood typically stainless elegant and beautiful. i've seen 25 yr old original kitchens called gourmet with basic appliances but because they have granite call it gourmet
Avi Maganda, Agent, Orlando, FL
Wed Jan 9, 2013
A "Gourmet Kitchen" would be where Chef Wolfgang Puck or Chef Emeril Lagasse cook something like: "Foie gras with mustard seeds and green onions in duck jus"...

A "High End Kitchen" would be where Martha Stewart will bake a "Shabadubidoo 5-minute Four cheese pizza" in the newest stylish VIKING oven...
Mike Stodola, Agent, Libertyville, IL
Mon Nov 29, 2010
The agent or the seller saying that the kitchen is a "gourmet" kitchen. No two people's definition will be the same.

Mike Stodola
Michael Ofsa…, Other Pro, Grayslake, IL
Thu Aug 26, 2010
Generally lots of counter space and high end appliances but there are no real parameters.
Jerry Grodes…, Agent, LOda, IL
Wed Aug 25, 2010
There are no parameters. It is often savy to use it in advertising and gain consumer interest in the property.
Jim Starwalt, Agent, Grayslake, IL
Wed Aug 25, 2010
This is a funny question, it's like asking what all of the abbreviations used in listings are and what do they mean? I read the description in some listings and scratch head trying to decipher them and I have been a full time Realtor for 14 years now:). The term Gourmet Kitchen really means nothing, there is no set of rules to determine when to use it or not. Same with saying
Edith Karoli…, Agent, Winnetka, IL
Tue Aug 24, 2010
Hi Sharon1, I assume all the other answer have their own merit.... So I do not want to repeat them and just give you my perspective as a cook, actually I consider myself a gourmet cook....

Having said that, I can cook up a storm in a normal full-size kitchen, I need a stove top, an oven, a micro wave and may be a really good larger toaster oven, I might have also an electric separate grill, which all would fit into a relatively small kitchen, would I consider that kitchen a gourmet kitchen, potentially no..... So does it have anything to do with how the kitchen is equipped (as long as it is standard good equipment?) probably not.... Does it have to do with the size of the kitchen, potentially yes....

In my view gourmet kitchen really only becomes gourmet with a gourmet chef, but if entertaining in the kitchen, cooking while spending time with the guests in the kitchen itself, and then the kitchen will have a walk in pantry, a butler area, a desk for cook books phone computer etc, an extra large refrigerator, an island and lots of counter space to spread out the finished gourmet foods, and enough space for the guests to gather around, i.e. a large eat in area or large bar/counter area..... then I would call that kitchen a gourmet kitchen....

But it really should just represent that a gourmet kitchen is SPECIAL, it is different from just a general SIZE kitchen, just for cooking! Does that help? If a normal size kitchen has especially expensive equipment,
top of the line oven, cook top, etc. etc., then one should mention those in addition...... but remember the cook will make it gourmet!!!!!!

Not sure why you asked the question, as your reason behind your question may help us to better answer your question.

Edith YourRealtor4Life
Your Chicago and Northern Illinois Expert
Web Reference: http://rubloff.com/agents/glenview/edith_karoline__jass...
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Mon Aug 23, 2010
Sharon,

You have asked a very interesting question and one that one would speculate has no definite answer. "Gourmet" seems to be a term used to draw attention to a kitchen area with high end features that aid individuals that enjoy being creative in the kitchen....most of which are standard in any home.

Essentially an over used and misunderstood term........

Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Mon Aug 23, 2010
Much will depend on what "gourmet" means to any specific buyer, keep in mind tastes do vary--some may consider an updated kitchen with good appliances gourmet, while others look at the overall size, counterspace, cooking space, etc., as gourmet.
Greg Anderson, Agent, Libertyville, IL
Mon Aug 23, 2010
I would agree with Mike. Most often if the kitchen is a bit more upgraded than the average kitchen, agents will often call it a "Gourmet" kitchen. You see this a lot with 2 1/2 car garages. Not all of them are 2 1/2, but some agents seem to put this in all their listings if you can squeeze in a garbage can or refrigerator with the 2 cars.
Mike Stodola, Agent, Libertyville, IL
Mon Aug 23, 2010
To be honest, usually the creativity of the agent. This is a very subjective term a lot like "cute", "move-in contition" etc...

Mike Stodola