what can i do to make sure a buyer know about major mold and stucture issues on a house next door to me?

Asked by 123456, 31024 Sun Mar 25, 2012

Answers

2
chris oliver, Agent, eatonton, GA
Thu Aug 23, 2012
It is good to want to be a good neighbor but don't jump in the deep end & end up well over your head. Ga. Real Estate law demands that both the seller & the sellers' agent/broker disclose what is considered any material defect - something mold would certainly qualify as. In addition, todays' buyers almost always have a home inspection done which should turn up any problems. Where you could get in trouble is if you tell someone there is a problem & it doesn't exist, or has been disclosed properly, or has been fixed with the repair having been disclosed. Should information you provide be proven inaccurate, you could be on the hook for a failed sale. If you happen to know a prospective buyer you might consider asking them if they have seen a disclosure yet &/or recommending they get a home inspection. Anything more aggressive than that could come back to bite you later.
Barbara Cart…, Agent, New Paltz, NY
Sun Mar 25, 2012
I would speak to the listing agent and make sure they are aware of the problem. The listing agent would be able to discuss it with the owner and together they can decide how to handle the problem. If you get no where then mention it to the buyers agent.

If there are in fact mold or structural issues the buyer should be made aware by their agent or it would be picked up in a home inspection. Depending on the issues, mold can be remediated and the sturcture can be addressed.

Either way I think it would be best to let the agents know and let them handle it.

It is kind of you to be concerned.
Best Wishes
Barbara Carter