we plan to sell our deceased moms house in SOCO, her annual property taxes increased from $6,600.00 to $7,821.00, am i able to protest the taxes ?

Asked by david cast, Austin, TX Wed May 14, 2014

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Russell Spil…, Agent, Austin, TX
Fri May 30, 2014
Hi David or Danny,
First off let me say I am sorry to hear about your recent loss. I know that it can be overwhelming trying to determine which upgrades will bring you the maximum AFTER REPAIR VALUE. That is a term used in the investor community to represent what the expected sales prices of the home is after repairs have been completed. It would seem you already have plenty of things to handle so this should not have to be another burden on you.
I currently have 3 properties I am renovating (rehabbing) in the Austin area so I have a very good idea of what sells and what doesn't and how to get the best value. I would be more than happy to help you with your situation. I also have the ability to buy your home as-is for cash. I can close in less than a week in most cases, and it really doesn't matter what condition it is in. I have many ways to help sell your home. If you are in need of any legal counsel on the matter we have a local real estate attorney on retainer so just let me know if I can help.
Feel free to contact me and I will be glad to set a meeting so that we can discuss this in further detail. Also feel free to call or email me.

Russell Spillers
0 votes
Bruce Lynn, Agent, Coppell, TX
Sun May 18, 2014
you can protest, but why if you are going to sell?
#1 if you still have her over 65 exemption or homestead exemption you may loose this....and should anyway.
If you are selling in the next couple of months your are maybe talking about saving $200 if you can get them reduced.
Remember when you fight they can go the other direction.....they can go up.
0 votes
bstrout, Both Buyer And Seller, Cedar Park, TX
Sat May 17, 2014
Hi David, we protest the appraisal ourself, in person. There is a time limit to file a protest, so get on that right away. It should NOT cost you anything to protest. If you have any other questions I will be glad to answer. Bonnie
0 votes
Carrie Hiner, Agent, Austin, TX
Fri May 16, 2014
Yes! I just did myself. Tiger Tax here in Austin does a good job too. They don't charge up front but will require you to pay 50% of recovery after Travis Co favors your protest. Call me if you want some tips.

Carrie Hiner
0 votes
Susie Kay, Agent, Dallas, TX
Wed May 14, 2014
You can try by providing the county the comps for homes sold in the same area, providing that they sold for less. Sometimes people also protest by showing that the county charges less for a nicer home in the same neighborhood.

Good luck,
Susie Kay, RealtorĀ®
United Real Estate
III Lincoln Centre, 5430 LBJ Freeway #280
Dallas, TX 78240

Servicing your real estate need is my priority!
0 votes
My NC Homes…, Agent, Chapel Hill, NC
Wed May 14, 2014
You can but it has to be a fact based argument you present not simply a complaint about the amount. If the taxes were raised because the city re-appraised all properties (which is done on a regular basis) then you need to show that for some reason your property was treated in a manner differently from it's neighbors. It's also a possibility that the taxes were raised because the town or city increased their annual budget for any of a number of reasons. This would result in an increase to everyone's tax rate which again may explain the increase in taxes. Before you start the appeal process you need to make certain of your facts. Simply complaining is going to do you no good and is waste of everyone's time.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more