tax appeals process: What are good points to present other than I cant sell the house at that price.

Asked by A Heffers, 10271 Thu Apr 7, 2011

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Laura Giannotta’s answer
Laura Gianno…, Agent, Manahawkin, NJ
Thu Apr 7, 2011
You'll find this links helpful. Although it deals with tax appeals in Little Egg Harbor, the process is the same throughout the state.…

Get tax comparables from before 10/1/2010, but as close to that date as possible. Make sure you have the sold price, and sellers concessions and the deed recording date.

Laura Giannotta
0 votes
Jane Shebroe, Agent, Jupiter, FL
Thu Apr 7, 2011
An interesting story.......I remember reading about how one resident in Totowa hired a private assessor and found errors, and it brought the town to it's knees! Everyone in town got suspicious when they got word of it and also hired a private the end, Totowa had to pay it's residents back millions in back overpayments. This was about 20 years ago I believe.
1 vote
Diane Glander, Agent, Spring Lake, NJ
Thu Apr 7, 2011
You'll need at least 3 comparable sales to show the value of your home, too.
I'm sure an agent here can provide those for you.
Good luck!
Web Reference:
0 votes
Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Thu Apr 7, 2011
Ah, so they denied your first informal appeal.
What percentage lower do you think your home is wortth?

I do suggest you contact an appraiser.

Certainly, I, or any local agent, can pull comps for you.........but one would need to know your home to really make a case, and come up with the appropriate comps.

Feel free to reach out to me, andI'll see if I can help.
0 votes
A Heffers, , 10271
Thu Apr 7, 2011
Yes we did go to the "informal process" bringing in comps from their very own listings!! It was a joke. We went prepared with pictures, comps, sales in the area, listings. We brought up teh fact that the house is old, kitchen is over 15yrs old., the drawbacks of the older house. So the formal way is the way to go.
0 votes
Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Thu Apr 7, 2011
I have a question - did you question your new assessment when the Appraisal company first sent it out?

At that time, they offered an informal meeting where you could express your thoughts that the appraisal was too high. They were receptive, at that time, to making adjustments (I live in a nearby town, and had my assessment reduced after sitting with one of their employees and showing comps - other homes that were similar to mine that they assessed lower.
I did get a reduction, and they lowered my assessment.

If you didn't make use of that informal meeting, then you must now go through a more formal tax appeal.

This involves a lot more.
Simply stating that you can't sell the house at that price won't work.

You will need concrete proof that you are overvalued - it used to be that the overvaluation had to be off by 15% (15% higher than assessments of other homes similar to yours). Not sure ifhtat percentage is still being used.

You can always call an appraiser who may work on a contingency basis to handle your appeal.

If you want, please email me, and I can give you the name of a local appraiser who handles appeals for owners. At the very least, a conversation with him may help you understand the process and determine if it is worthwhile to attempt an appeal.

Best wishes..........and good luck!!

Debbie Rose
Prudential NJ Properties
0 votes
Murphy Wilson, Agent, Maplewood, NJ
Thu Apr 7, 2011
In addition to what has been mentioned, you'll want to provide evidence that the condition of the subject property would not merit the given assessment. My experience has been that provding photos of distressed conditions or dated kitchens and baths is very convincing. The due date for tax appeals is extended until May1 for towns that have had a revaluation this year. I have been successful in West Orange with tax appeals before. If you have more questions you can contact me directly. Good luck!
0 votes
Jane Shebroe, Agent, Jupiter, FL
Thu Apr 7, 2011
You can present as evidence recent sales in your neighborhood of comparable homes if they are lower than the assessed value. If you would like, send me an email with the town/section in question, and the style of home (colonial, cape, ranch, bi-level, split, etc.) and how many bedrooms and baths, to and I will reply with a link to a list of recent sales that you can compare with.

0 votes
Mary Ann Mai…, Other Pro, Cliffside Park, NJ
Thu Apr 7, 2011
In order to be successful in the tax appeal process, you need to provide evidence of sales that are comparable to your home. The sales must be within the timeframe for which you are appealing and they must be sales that your assessor did not disqualify. Providing an appraisal by a licensed appraiser is the best way to make your case for a reduction in your assessment. An appraiser that is versed in all aspects of tax appeals is the best source. I would be happy to give you additional information if you contact me directly.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more