Sgnup268, Home Owner in Philadelphia, PA

should we keep the furniture in our home until it sells?

Asked by Sgnup268, Philadelphia, PA Fri Aug 2, 2013

we already bought and moved into the new house. should we keep our furniture in the old house until it sells, or can we show it empty

Answers

11
Not only will a house show better with some furniture in it, but a vacant home can sometimes lead a buyer to think a seller is more desperate than another home that is occupied. Most often the time, that probably is the case. When it comes to decorating, I always tell my seller more is less. Try and eliminate as much clutter and bulky furniture as they can.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 28, 2014
I had never thought about the impression no furniture could have on trying to show a house. My parents were trying to sell their house a few months ago. They took out a lot of the clutter and kept it very minimal in style. They have sold a few homes before so that might be something to keep in mind when time comes for us to sell our house.
http://www.wynansfurniture.com/
Flag Tue Jan 6, 2015
I am dealing with a similar issue. My wife and I are building a new home and getting all new furniture in the process. We want to sell a lot of our old furniture and give some of it away to friends and family. We have talked about just getting rid of most of the furniture and keeping a few "necessity" pieces in the old house. I'm still looking into everything though before I make a decision.
http://www.alexanderbrothers.berrysites.net/systems
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 5, 2014
Some furniture always helps. Home staging (when done right) increases buyer appeal for the property.
Exactly. You don't need to leave all your furniture, especially if it's cluttered, but some is a good idea. Even if you have to buy a cheap couch or table for your main room, it more than makes up its cost by selling the home faster. Buyers are most interested in knowing what the home would look like if they lived there, and furniture helps with that. | http://www.directfurnituredeals.com
Flag Wed Feb 4, 2015
Furniture and furnishings do help sell a house but be careful on how you define these terms. Look on the web for how homes are staged to sell. Does your home look like this or do you have boxes, kids toys, clothing, laundry and papers lying all over? There is a huge difference between strategically placed attractive furniture and a cluttered and unkempt home.
Having the home staged with furniture can help buyers visualize the space better.The main rooms people want to use to consider a home are the living room, kitchen, dining , family rooms and master bedroom. Be sure not to have too much , leaving some rooms empty is even OK. Taking all personal items like photos , trophies and hobby or collections help to de-clutter.
Furniture in a home helps potential buyers visualize what the place will look like with their furniture.

The main thing is to be as minimal as possible so as to avoid too much clutter an provide a good flow.
Yes, you should. Buyers need to visualize themselves living in that home. It is easier to do that when you have furniture in the rooms, even if it is one or two pieces. Think of yourself when you just bought your new home, what did you think when you first walked through the door of your new house? Hope this was little helpful. Good luck!
It depends.

Melissa gave a good answer. Usually, a house will look better with SOME furniture in it. But you definitely want to remove all the clutter. You also don't want junky furniture in there.

The best person to give you advice would be a home stager.
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Burke, VA
Your realtor should be a good resource for information specific to your listing, because as you'll see from all of the answers, it's going to depend on the house and the buyers you are attracting. Of course we send a professional stager to all of our listings right before the professional photographer gets there to take the photos that 95% of all buyers will be looking at before even deciding to walk through. If you have any question I'd be happy to help.

William Cush
RE/MAX Keystone
836 N.Easton Rd.
Glenside,PA 19038
wjcush@yahoo.com
Cell: 215.285.2011
Direct: 215.825.7720
A lot of times a home will look bigger with furniture in it but it really depends. If you do leave furniture in it make sure that it looks nice and not cluttered. And make sure that the furniture isn't to big for the place. Talk to your agent about it. They should be able to give you some advice about this.
Interesting question, as this issue just arose for me this weekend for the first time ever. Normally I always suggest that the home is empty so buyers can envision their belongings in the vacated areas. However, I had a buyer this weekend sourly disappointed that the home was vacant of belongings.

She said this was to see how cluttered a place looked when filled.

First time I ever had a buyer angry about furniture not being present during a showing, but it exists.

My suggestion is a happy medium. Keep it at a minimum. No clutter, and keep the basic stuff behind.