should I fill in an existing swimming pool before putting it on the market?

Asked by Josephine, Saddle Brook, NJ Fri Apr 8, 2011

Answers

7
Michael Shet…, Agent, Ridgewood, NJ
Fri Apr 8, 2011
Josephine,
Could the pool be used in existing condition or with minor repair? If not, I would generally recommend having it removed before listing it. But because we are in the middle of the spring market when you have the best chance of getting a great price for the home, I recommend getting the house on the market as soon as possible. March, April and May are the busiest months in real estate.
What you can do if the pool is not in good shape is get written estimates from contractors to remove it. Buyers don't know how much it will cost to remove the pool and by getting written estimates you can alleviate the buyer's fear of it being too expensive. You can also offer a "credit" to buyer's to cover the cost of having it removed, so it becomes a real non-issue.
I'm an agent in your area (I live in Glen Rock.) If I can help you sell please give me a call at 201-421-0506.

Michael Shetler
Web Reference:  http://buyinginbergen.com
Wayne Odenbr…, Agent, Mountain Lakes, NJ
Sat Jan 14, 2012
Unless the pool is in bad shape, open itfor the spring season. DOn't over think what buyers are looking for. The money you spend may not be recovered when you sell.
Edith Karoli…, Agent, Winnetka, IL
Fri Apr 8, 2011
It really depends on the condition of the pool, if in good working condition, leave it the way it is, find out
what filling it will cost and what the village requires and then offer that option to the potential buyers...
You never know what they prefer.

If on the other hand the pool is in not working condition or really really old, then discuss filling it and landscaping the area with your Realtor, he or she will know what buyers are asking for in your particular neighborhood.... this is really a case by case decision when you need to trust your Realtors guidance.

Take care and good luck to you..
Edith Karoline YourRealtor4Life & Chicago Connection
EdithDoesItRight@yahoo.com
David Lagoma…, , Closter, NJ
Fri Apr 8, 2011

If the pool is usable open it for the season. You can get estimates for removal, just in case. Knowing current zoning laws you may be taking out a pool that can never be replaced. If there is an existing pool it can be refurbished or replaced easier. If you are looking for a Realtor, please contact me at 201-916-0431.

Best of luck,
Dave
Laura Feghali, Agent, Stamford, CT
Fri Apr 8, 2011
Hello Josephine,
I agree with Michael that it depends on the condition of the pool whether to have it removed. If it's in good shape then have it filled with water and let it sparkle and be an added amenity to the home.
If it needs a lot of work and particularly if there are leakage issues then I would have it demolished. I can tell you that when we purchased a home with a pool in CT, the pool needed a lot of work so we decided to demolish it and now have a lush green lawn instead.
The swimming season is shorter here in the Northeast so obviously, pools are not as much in demand as in other warmer areas of the country.

Laura Feghali
Prudential Connecticut Realty
Marie Souza…, Agent, Centerville, MA
Fri Apr 8, 2011
Hi Josephine - This all depends on the condition. Buyers either love or hate the idea of a pool. Michaels answer below sums it all up! I would give him a call!
., , Rochester, NY
Fri Apr 8, 2011
Josephine,

Yes, fill the pool. It will show your home better. Also, potential buyers would probably speculate why the pool was not opened thinking it may have a defect. As an agent I would be advising my clients to put "opening and inspecting the pool" right in the purchase offer as an addendum.

Kristen