selling & need to replace older septic. health dept lists my house at 3 bedr when its really 4-- tax dept. has it at 4? could it be a big issue?

Asked by Leann, 07869 Wed Jul 17, 2013

Answers

8
Cindy Mansey, Agent, Randolph, NJ
Thu Jul 18, 2013
If your septic needs to be replaced and you have a four bedroom home, putt in a four bedroom septic. :)
Douglas Tuck…, Agent, Morristown, NJ
Wed Jul 17, 2013
It is best to list the home with the number of bedrooms that the health department says the septic is rated for. In the cases that the seller wants to list it for more bedrooms- state health dept says 3, seller states 4. Otherwise, when you get a contract and it goes to the attorneys, they will always look up the health dept rating and they will always catch it and it will always become an issue! If you are replacing, weigh the benefits of replacing with a larger septic system. Ask your realtor to cost it out for you. A $ bedroom septic will cost more, it may be worth it.
Barbara Bert…, , Sparta, NJ
Wed Jul 17, 2013
She may also need a whole new design depending on the existing septic field capacity. It is best to contact a reputable septic installation company for advice and a quote.
Elisa Buckley, Agent, Morristown, NJ
Wed Jul 17, 2013
If you have an offer and buyer is asking you to replace 4-bed septic, it could be an issue. You'll likely need to have a percolation (perc) test done to support a 4-bed septic and your local health department will likely need to be onsite during test for approval.
ok they are coming to do soil tests with engineer, so hopefully whether it was never listed correctly or just never up to code... hopefully all with go smoothly
Thank you!
Flag Wed Jul 17, 2013
Deborah Madey, Agent, Brick, NJ
Wed Jul 17, 2013
Replace with a septic large enough to meet the 4 bedroom requirement. Then, AFTER the larger septic is in place, list it as a 4 bedroom house.

If it is listed, identify it as a 3 bedroom and ask your agent to make the proper notes in the listing.
Barbara Bert…, , Sparta, NJ
Wed Jul 17, 2013
Ron, in NJ, you cannot list a home for sale as 4 bedrooms if the septic only accommodates a 3 bedroom home. Laura, I don't know what needs to be done with your septic system but you may want to consider installing a 4 bedroom system if it is important for the sale. Yes, it could affect the interest of buyers as people will see it as a "more expensive" 3 bedroom when in reality it has 4. However, it is not an uncommon situation. The buyers just need to be educated by their Realtors. We, as agents in NJ, are not permitted to list your home as a 4 bedroom but can, in the comments, state that it has 4 bedrooms with a 3-bedroom septic. At any rate, yes, the tax department does not care about the septic size so you will be taxed as a 4 bedroom but the septic records will state that it is a 3-bedroom septic. I hope that helps.
Barbara Bertone
I am the third owner...House is older 1965 and sold to me as a 4 bedroom and the time I did my septic inspection 7 years ago it wasn't listed by the inspector how many bedrooms( i looked at the report)... Now that the systems failed by my buyers inspector...I need to have a new system installed anyway- so is there a big cost involved if i already have a 1000 gallon tank- will the town not allow me, just because they have it at a 3 for some reason or another? And it also could be a mistake on the towns health dept to have it listed as a 3...There was a repair done to it 7 years ago and I saw that had written that permit had it listed with 3 bedrooms. How do I get the original information on the install and how many bedrooms it was permitted it then?
Flag Wed Jul 17, 2013
Andrew Tisel…, Agent, Clifton, NJ
Wed Jul 17, 2013
even it is a 3 put in the septic for a 4 to be safe. If it is a 3 they owe you back taxes because you are paying too much.

In general most towns can not dictate how many bedrooms you have. If the bedroom is up to code it can be what ever you make it.

To make it up to code you need a standard window a door and has to be bigger than 8X8 Then if it is septic you need a septic that can handle the number of bedrooms.
Ron Thomas, Agent, Fresno, CA
Wed Jul 17, 2013
Not if you show it as a 4 bedroom in the LISTING.
If will be corrected in the County records when your sale closes.
Buyer will plainly see that it has 4 bedrooms, so will the Appraiser.