Question removed

Asked by E Orlando, Miami, FL Sun Aug 26, 2007

This question was removed by its author.

Answers

17
Ruthless, , 60558
Sun Aug 26, 2007
I'm not even going to read the other posts because I can guess the answers. Even though I have been on the rampage today (more so than other days) defending FSBO/discounters, there is no doubt that a full service agent will sell your home faster than FBSO or a reduced rate listing service.

The advice to sell it the quickest is to be patient. Take your time interviewing agents to find the right one. Take your time to make sure every little detail of the house is perfect: paint, curb appeal, putting your stuff in storage. Your Realtor will help you with all of this. While taking care of the details your agent can get marketing put together for a BLITZ when the house is ready. It will sell much faster that way than if you put it on the market now and work on those things during the process.

It's sort of like driving in rush hour traffic. If you get on the road at 5:00 pm you might not get to your destination until 7:00 pm. But if you start at 6:30 pm you still get there at 7:00 pm. I don't know if that is the case in Miami, but it sure is in Chicago.

Ruth
Web Reference:  http://www.oak-park-il.com
Sylvia Barry,…, Agent, Marin, CA
Sun Aug 26, 2007
A selling agent who has the experience and knowledge about your local market condition will be able to help you to prepare your house for sale, price your house correctly, use the network and marketing tools he/she have to help you sell your house much faster than if you do it yourself.

They will also be able to help you with negotiations and guide you through the escrow process until closing.

Remember that this is their job and how they make a living and they are all set up to get you started on the right track. Your transaction will be much faster that way!

Go now and get some referrals from your friends/families on a few agents, interview them to find the one that will work the best for you and get started.

Sylvia
Greg Traub, Agent, Orlando, FL
Sun Aug 26, 2007
Like others said, for the quickest way to sell is to hire a full service agent. Statistically, offering a higher than normal commission to the buyers agent is also a good way to sell a property quickly.

Everything is relative, speed also, in my market the average days on market just hit 100. To sell quickly....ie within 30-60 days, you WILL have to price aggressively no matter how you decide to sell. Again a good Realtor will speed the selling process by exposing it to all qualified buyers in the area. I know a few great people down in Miami Dade that can help you, contact me to discuss your specific area and situation so I can match you up to the best one.

Another option to sell quickly is to Auction. You are just about guaranteed a sale. It takes 30-60 days to market and then the home is auctioned, as-is, where is, no contingencies, and buyer pays ALL closing costs. Closing takes place no longer than 30 days from auction or sooner. There are benefits to auctioning, and some drawbacks. DEFINITELY not for everyone! We have an in house Auctioneer at our Orlando Office, and he can cover all of Florida, if he is not available he can find you a local auctioneer as well.
Cathi Weaver, Agent, Chicago, IL
Sun Aug 26, 2007
Hi Zeke,

When you say similar homes are going from 550k to 625k, are those homes that have recently closed or what some active homes are on the market for presently?

The best thing to do is have an agent do a comparative market analysis. They can give you and idea of where to price your home because of the homes that have already recently sold.

If you are going to choose between a flat rate agent who will just list it in the MLS or an agent who will work to market your home. Go with the latter. I just talked with a woman locally who is using a flat fee company and is getting no assistance whatsoever. I gave her some of my input and am in the process of getting her a person to take care of a few issues in her home. These companies are doing a great disservice to people in my opinion.

Cathi Weaver
Web Reference:  http://www.cathiweaver.com
MS-I, Home Buyer, Miami, FL
Mon Sep 3, 2007
At SIX percent commission these real estate agents or PRO's will tell you to sell your kids through them. If you approach them with this attitude - one of them will low ball you and have his buddy buy the house from you at below market and less his 6 percent commission.

It is your money - unless $100 K is a small change for you, do your own homework. Do not trust any of these "Friends" who want to take pity on you and help you out of your misery of selling the house.

Enlist some family and friends - share part of the commission with them for helping you.

Price appreciation in real estate is about 2.5% year. If you want 10% returns each year you owned the house, it will not sell. Contrary to popular belief - there is lot of land available in miami for development. Eeven manhattan has new construction going on at all the time

Randi Rapp, , 33180
Mon Aug 27, 2007
Zeke, Ines has said it perfectly in her answer below. If you are in a hurry make sure your property is priced right.. below the others in your area. Make sure the agent that you choose doesn't tell you what you want to hear just to get the listing. Properties are sitting on the market for 4-6 months right now,although if priced right and if using all the tools such as internet , MLS ,and direct mail, etc, your chances are greater at obtaining a buyer that can close. This is also key make sure that the person is qualified and working with a reputable lender. Good Luck !
Web Reference:  http://www.ewm.com
Ines Hegedus…, Agent, Miami, FL
Mon Aug 27, 2007
Zeke - you have gotten great answers below and of course I smile at all the Realtors responding because we all have to push our services. But even with that in mind, you have to realize that in this difficult buyer's market, you need all the help you can get and placing a house on the MLS with a couple of Miami Herald ads is not going to help you at all.

To find a good agent to help you with the sale make sure you Google their name and see what their Internet presence is like - remember that almost 90% of buyers start on-line. Also make sure your agent tells you the truth about the market and don't hire an agent based on the "highest price", unless you want your listing to sit unsold.
Take a look at this article written by a great Colorado Agent for Miamism and good luck!
Wayne Hallad…, , Walnut Creek, CA
Sun Aug 26, 2007
Thirty years ago I had an inexpensive accountant. He cost me thousands in tax dollars. From that I did in fact conclude that a highly qualified paid professional is the better value. Check references and longivity. Also make sure that you are comfortable with that person. Then step aside and let them do the job they are trained to do!!!
Pam Winterba…, Agent, Danville, VA
Sun Aug 26, 2007
Zeke.....If you are in a hurry please consult with a local Realtor or if you went to get the best price. Either way your Realtor will have the tools and experience necessary to properly price your home property, help you get it ready for sale and market your home. They will help you negotiate and close the transaction and allow you to make the transition. Good luck
Web Reference:  http://pamwinterbauer.com
Jim Walker, Agent, Carmichael, CA
Sun Aug 26, 2007
The only successful FSBO's I have known in my career were either active or retired real estate agents, professional builders, or non-agents who sold to some one they already knew like a neighbor, friend, son, daughter, or employee.
Keith Sorem, Agent, Glendale, CA
Sun Aug 26, 2007
Zeke
What is your objective?
To sell as quickly as possible?
To net as much as possible?
Do you watch the news?

Which is more important: time or net?

Here is my advice:
Sell it your self.
List it at YOUR price.
Then WAIT forever.

Or.

Hire a REALTOR
Make THEM DO THE WORK
The Hagley G…, Agent, Pleasanton, CA
Sun Aug 26, 2007
A Realtor does much more than lists your house. A local Realtor can guide ou through the entire process. When you talk to prospective agents, ask how many homes they have soldin the last 90 days, as well as average days on the market. And don't make your decision based on commission only. You get what you pay for.
Web Reference:  http://www.cindihagley.com
RN, , Miami, FL
Sun Aug 26, 2007
Hi Zeke,
By owner is NOT the way to go, especially in this market. First of all, you have to maximize the marketing of the property, and have a strong web presence. That takes time and money. If you have lots of time and lots of money, then certainly educate yourself about the recent sales data, and go for it. But if you have a job, a family, then you owe it to yourself and to them to spend the money for a professional to handle all that--just as you would spend the money on a doctor or a lawyer to handle a specialized case--so you can live your life. Do you have the ability to qualify buyer prospects? This is crucial nowadays with the lending industry being in such disrepair. In fact, you don't know WHO is tromping through your home, and for what purpose. I don't bring buyers into my customer's homes unless I have met them, interviewed them, and QUALIFIED THEM! Fewer and fewer shoppers will turn out to be real buyers, and as a for sale by owner you just don't have the resources--or the time to waste--to go to contract with someone who may not ever qualify for a mortgage.
By owners on the average spend more time on the market and sell for a lower price than brokered sales. About 80% of them, too, end up with a broker after a couple of frustrating--and depreciating--months trying it on their own.
As for the actual price you can sell for, I would need to know what specific area, section, and subdivision you are in. Miami is a big place. You sound like you might be in south Palmetto Bay or Cutler Bay, from the price, or maybe even out in Kendall somewhere. I can, and will, do a market analysis for you, no obligations or pressure whatsoever, if you serious about selling. Sound information is what you need to make this crucial decision. Lots of money might be at stake in the long run.
Feel free to call or email .. 786-205-1133, or rams.homes@gmail.com
Mott Marvin…, Agent, Sunny Isles Beach, FL
Wed Aug 6, 2008
The way the market is now, I would suggest that you hire the best, most active agent in your neighborhood. A good agent will get you the hisghest possible price by marketing your property in an aggressive manner. The just listed plans are very good under different market conditions.
Web Reference:  http://www.hybridmls.com
Wenceslao Fe…, , 33140
Mon Jun 2, 2008
In a hurry? Many mistakes are made when "in a hurry". There are many questions for you to answer before many of the answers below become valid. The most important of which is motivation.

As a Realtor and Investor, we see hurry-type transactions as opportunities. Yet, I find that many who claim they need to sell quick or in a hurry don't fully understand the process and what's a stake.

There is a price to pay for everything and you must define your needs based on your current situation before making a harsh decision like selling quick while in a hurry. But if you are facing a seemingly unavoidable situation that is causing this much stress to you and your family, you must consult with a professional and this venue, with the amount of information you've provided is not meant to answer specific questions.

Diagnosed with brain cancer, Mr. Kennedy went to a brain surgeon. Hopefully all will go well, but at the time of this writing he was in surgery. Did he go to a Realtor? No. Did he get a mirror, a few tools (signs), posted an inquiry online about brain cancer and then proceeded to operate on himself based on the responses? No. He went to a professional.

Need legal, tax or investment advice? Who you go to will determine the outcome. And yes, all the professions on earth (including the oldest - and I won't go further than that), have good, bad, mediocre and great eminences. Real estate is no different.

So, do your soul searching first and find out your true motivation to sell and what the consequences may be for not taking action. Then seek the advice of professionals to receive guidance. Then make an informed decision that will get you through these tough times. Whatever happens, remember this...THIS TOO SHALL PASS.

Stay calm, remain focused and cooperate fully with whomever you may choose to work. Meanwhile, allow me the opportunity to possibly help you or guide you by providing me more information about your situation. I may not be your guy, but I promise to help you think through this. Just visit http://miamirealestateking.com/9404/dsp_agent_page.php/45860… to receive a completely confidential and complementary home evaluation.

Wenceslao Fernandez Jr, BS, CDPE
Nice Profile, , Miami, FL
Fri Apr 18, 2008
I get this question all the time. The Real Estate industry plays a big part on the economy in the US. The National Association of Realtors is in business because of us professionals. 98% of sales are made with an agent, either representing the seller, the buyer or both. I am a Realtor in Miami and no matter who you use to sell your property, you must have a Realtor represent you. Your home is not on the market unless you hire a professional. Putting a sing in front of your house will only show your neighbors and the local traffic that you are need help. Did you know that homes that sell with a professional on average sell 12-16% higher than a unrepresented home. And if you really think about it, if you find a diamond on the street and tried to sell it on your own, how do you think people will react. They will probably think, the diamond is fake, they might think you are a scam artist. Now if you hire a professional diamond dealer, you are guaranteed a sale at the highest possible market price. So think about it and hire a professional. Good luck.
Web Reference:  http://www.ForSaleAgent.com
Ines Hegedus…, Agent, Miami, FL
Tue Sep 4, 2007
There is some truth to Ms-I home buyer's answer. If an agent would offer at a listing presentation, to purchase your house or for a friend to purchase your house, it would raise a red flag. There are fine lines that can be crossed when it comes to business relationships and many times, those would even be considered a conflict of interest.
The best bet is to interview a few local agents (local being the key), make sure you Google them to make sure their Internet presence is strong - if you have any doubts about price, you can even pay for an appraisal (although know that prices are changing so quickly, it may not mean you get that amount at the end).