Question removed

Asked by Trying to Sell, Plano, TX Tue Sep 2, 2008

This question was removed by its author.

Answers

14
Robert J Rus…, Agent, Dallas, TX
Wed Sep 3, 2008
Benny - I have 2 questions for you.
# 1 is it listed with a REALTOR or is it FSBO ?
# 2 how is it priced compared to what has SOLD in the neighborhood ?
Please answer these 2 questions for more clarification so that I can answer this better.
Barbara Asco…, Agent, Metuchen, NJ
Tue Sep 2, 2008
Hi Benny,
My first thought is for you to ask yourself, what it was about your home that excited you enough to make the purchase. List those features or benefits and share them with your agent so that he or she can share them with potential buyers. The agent may be overlooking a hot button for buyers.
I can totally understand your frustration, since I am currently representing a client that has a very similiar situation. You've mentioned that you are priced right according to comps. I learned through an appraiser that homes located on a main street adjust down about $10,000. So, if you are neck to neck with the competing homes in your area, then perhaps you are not really priced right.
I'm trying to imagine the layout you've described and I wonder if planting some tall slender evergreen trees, spaced closely together might give your home a more private feel.
Since you are receiving great feedback, I'm sure you have a lovely home. However, location is not something you can change, so I guess it boils down to price. Truthfully, it's always the price!
Robert J Rus…, Agent, Dallas, TX
Mon Sep 8, 2008
If your house is Listed with a Realtor - talk to them and find out what you can do to overcome this. If your house is not listed with a Realtor and you are trying to sell your house yourself, then step back and consider how much money are you losing by not using a Realtor's Resourses such as marketing, networking with other Realtors, Advertising ( we advertise in over 2000+ websites,) and knowledge of how to positivly overcome obsticles such as this.

FYI - if you think this is a problem - wait til you come into other unexpected things like an emcumbrance which can REALLY slow the whole process down.

GET A REALTOR to help you is the bottom line - every month you are losing money by not having one.
Trevor, , Sydney, FL
Sun Sep 7, 2008
Hi Benny

It sounds like a common problem in todays market, where buyers are looking for a great deal in the perfect location. with that said i agree with Ronda below, some people do prefer to live without neighbours beating down the fences. You could try marketing the property a little differently, highlight the key features of the home and don't hide the fact that you are near a main road, there is no point as people just look on google maps now before they come out and generally know where you are anyway. Perhaps give YouVu's Virtual Showroom a go http://www.youvu.com.au, you can really drill down into your properties key fixtures fittings and unique features - Really push the positives, after all you bought the property because you liked it so it stands to reason that others will to.
Web Reference:  http://www.youvu.com.au
James Joseph, , 06281
Sat Sep 6, 2008
Hi Benny,
Take a deep breath and relax. The fact that you are getting action is wonderful and it is only a matter of time and numbers before the right buyer comes along. After all you bought it backing up to a main st and so will someone else.
James Joseph
The R/E Maven
Ronda Allen, Agent, Plano, TX
Sat Sep 6, 2008
Hi Benny, buyers tend to have strong feelings about homes backing to roads. Some buyers actually prefer that location because they don't have another neighbor right behind their house. You didn't mention if your home was a single-story or two-story, or whether you had a 6 or 8 foot fence. Others will always feel that a home on the interior to the neighborhood is their best investment. It is true that homes backing to roads can take longer to sell. The same is true of homes with odd floorplans, homes with inconsistent themes or too many bold color choices, and homes with condition issues. Take another look through your feedback. Work to overcome any objections. You mentioned getting a nice amount of showings. If that isn't at least 3-5 showings every week in Plano, you aren't yet seeing real demand for the house and a price reduction may be in order. But, if you are getting the right level of showings and just not getting picked, your pricing may be fine and you just need to enhance the backyard environment to overcome the objection. There are million dollar homes in Plano backing to the Tollway. Just about every one of them has installed an outdoor speaker system or fountain feature to drown out the road noise and make their location more positive.
Web Reference:  http://www.judgefite.com
Henry Ramirez, Agent, Plano, TX
Fri Sep 5, 2008
Hello again Benny,

FSBO is just an acronym for "For Sale By Owner". Have you gotten the answers you needed? I hope all this is helping you. I had a home listed that backed up to Coit and a small consideration was given for that from the beginning. In this market, buyers are looking to get the best deal. After a while the street kept coming up. In time my seller considered it's location and priced the home to sell quickly, just to avoid the continued expense and the ability to move forward with her plans.
Trying to Se…, Home Seller, Plano, TX
Fri Sep 5, 2008
Robert what is FSBO? I just reduced the price.
Terri Hayley, Other Pro, Dallas, TX
Tue Sep 2, 2008
Hi Benny,

While all of these are great answers the best way to mask a noisy road is a beautiful water feature. We saw one recently that was an outside oasis. There was a fountain, some small fountains on the fence, outside speakers piping in relaxing music, etc. Marketing is all about putting your best foot forward. You may try having your showing times scheduled around less busy times. Obviously, people are going to come back at different times to gauge the traffic, neighborhood, etc. However, you'll have the opportunity to show it at it's best for their first impression.

It's also nice to be able to come right in to the community and you don't have to wind around to get home. It's easier to give people directions and actually get the pizza you ordered! ;) There are some nice things about the spot you chose to have your home. Think about them and write them down and leave it out for people to read.

Happy to help,
Terri Hayley
Josh Thomas, , Austin, TX
Tue Sep 2, 2008
Benny,
I can relate to your situation as a buyer. I fell in love with a home that backed up to a main road. It was priced competitively with other homes I was looking into and actually beat them all in floorplan, style, quality, etc. In the end, I went with a different home because I could not deal with the traffic noise in the back yard (I like my peace). Echoing Barbara's advice, some buyers will deal with the noise for a discount. Some (like me) will simply not consider it no matter how low you go. The "perceived value" is not there.

Think of it like this...people pay premiums for corner lots and greenbelt lots. It only makes sense that they will assess "penalties" if you will, for lots with main roads behind them. Your best bet is to make a price concession for the location and get an offer before your days on market start to affect your negotiating strength.

Best of luck.
Margaret T.…, Agent, Conroe, TX
Tue Sep 2, 2008
Benny,
Your comps need to reflect other homes thar back up to a main street or they are not comps
Margaret
Josh M. Boggs, Agent, San Antonio, TX
Tue Sep 2, 2008
Benny,

Not a problem, you just need to market your home as the "car-lovers" paradise. Or in fact; you could advertise that your home was recently voted as the "best home in the Plano area to start a rock band in"; you can rest assured there will no complaining about the noise coming from the garage if the highway can blanket over any amateur drum player any day......

Ok.. obviously I'm being a bit facetious here, but the fact I'm getting at... McDermott was probably there when you bought the home, so find exactly what made you love about the home and forget about the highway noise and there you will find your buyer... You can't move your house, so figure out what other GREAT characteristics the house has and go with that.

oh.. and price at this time may also help you find that similar buyer MUCH Quicker!

Best of luck
Web Reference:  http://www.eXposedHomes.com
Bruce Lynn, Agent, Coppell, TX
Tue Sep 2, 2008
Do something to hide the street if possible and dampen any noise. Bamboo...or some other quick growing plant or some kind of trees might help. If there is noise from the street install some speakers in the back and pipe in some nice music. You can even get wireless speakers from Brookstone that might help. Is the fence brick or wood. If it is a brick fence and the HOA maintains you might remind the buyers of that.
Web Reference:  http://www.teamlynn.com
Henry Ramirez, Agent, Plano, TX
Tue Sep 2, 2008
Hello Ben,

I would contact your agent and see what you can do about the right price reduction to take that into consideration. I have listed homes with similar amenities and yes their is a buyer out there that will consider your home at the right price. Time is also a consideration at this time of the year. Your home is just not priced right in comparison to other homes in your neighborhood that do not back up to McDermott. The best of luck in the sale of your home!