Question removed

Asked by Tracy, Spring Creek, NV Wed Jul 23, 2008

This question was removed by its author.

Answers

6
Don Tepper, Agent, Burke, VA
Thu Jul 24, 2008
Well, I see lots of reasons.

First, on owners.com, someone looking at price is going to gravitate first to the cheaper 4 bed/2 bath at $209,900. So, as is advised below, definitely check the comps. Get a CMA.

Second, I see you listed yourself as "Make Me Move" on Zillow. But there are two issues I immediately see. First, it appears you're surrounded by vacant lots. And second, on Zillow the "Similar Homes" include one at 579 Ashcroft for $199,900--also a 3/2, but with more square footage than yours--and one at 522 Spring Creek Parkway--also a 3/2--for $184,900. Both have been on the market for a while. Whether or not those are true comps, that's what visitors to Zillow will be comparing your house to.

Third are the interior shots of your house. In the kitchen, hide the trash can and the rag on the stove. Declutter the family room. On the exterior shot, get rid of the trampoline out front. And your house is very bland, externally.

I also concur with the comments below.
Keith Sorem, Agent, Glendale, CA
Thu Jul 24, 2008
Tracy
You are under the misperception that because most buyers start shopping on the internet that by putting your home online it will sell.
When you purchased this home, did you use a Realtor as a buyer's agent? Of course you did, because we work for "free". You got a neighborhood expert who found you the home you bought, negotiated favorable terms and price, and you were happy.

As it turns out, over 90% of buyers use a Realtor to represent them in the purchase. So your problem is that the Realtors don't know about your home. And even if they did, there is probably enough inventory that is well-priced and easy to show that they would not show yours as a first choice. Most owners selling without professional representation do not have homes that are easy to show.

So it would not surprise you that the most owners eventually list with a Realtor (86%). They sell to someone they know 5% of the time, someone they don't know 5% of the time. The homes sold by Realtors average 16% higher price than those sold by owners on their own...which makes sense because they are only selling to 10% of the market.

So I suggest interviewing three REaltors, ask for an Estimate of Seller's Net Proceeds, then run the numbers. In most cases you'll end up listing with a Realtor and net more. If you can sell on your own, that is great.
Erika Krebs, Agent, Santa Barbara, CA
Wed Jul 23, 2008
I think it depends on what websites you have it listed. There are numerous websites that get absolutely no traffic - so make sure you do your research. I strongly recommend hiring a Realtor. However, another alternative is to pay a set fee to have it placed in your local MLS. I'm not from your area, but I believe your local board of Realtors is http://www.nvar.org. Call them and ask about posting your listing as a non-member. You may save money by not hiring a listing agent, but if you really want your home sold, this is a great way to get your home seen by all the selling agents in your area.
Also, don't forget open houses! Call your local newspaper and have your open house placed in the weekend directory.
Good luck! :)
Web Reference:  http://www.erikakrebs.com
Sylvia Barry,…, Agent, Marin, CA
Wed Jul 23, 2008
Tracy:

You should have a good comparable done for your house against properties similar to yours to make sure it is priced right. Also, although you have it listed on seven websites, the site Realtors (who have most buyers) use most is the local MLS. My assumption is you are doing FSBO and listing your property on FSBO sites. Realtors don;t ususally look at those sites so you might be missing out on a lot of buyers. Realtors also have their own network which brings more buyers.

if your house is listed on MLS and your Realtor is doing full marketing, I guess it goes back to pricing and showing.

Sylvia
Larry Story, Agent, Greensboro, NC
Wed Jul 23, 2008
Tracy,
I am guessing that you are for sale by owner? If so some of what you are running into is that your home will not pop up on the MLS service. Now you can always hire a flat fee discount brokerage to at the very least get your home in the MLS. This will at least get you in front of all the buyers agents. Just be prepared to at least pay the buyer's agent's commission.

Hope this helps
Brent Covey, Agent, Tahuya, WA
Wed Jul 23, 2008
I'm not an expert in your market, but if you are getting drive-bys without showings, it is usually because the price is at least 12% too high. Are you listed in the local MLS?