Question removed

Asked by Rick, Phoenix, AZ Mon Jul 21, 2008

This question was removed by its author.

Answers

7
Chris Courtn…, , Eugene, OR
Fri Jul 25, 2008
Hi home seller,

Short answer is: YES to those statements in the report that are accurate and to the extent of what is comprimised. A home inspection is somewhat subjective, so some opinions are just opinions. You are best to take action of course.

Solution: Correct issues and have a reinspection by the same company for them to sign off.

Reason: Seller's property disclosure statement which can be your 'Achilles Heal'. Now that an inspection has been performed, correct what is accurately wrong (replace the missing thermostadt cover...it does not good sitting on the kitchen table although trivial but provides a finish surface, extension cords are not permanent wiring)...such that the next inspection never takes place as you will have a copy of the first inspection, and certification of all repairs.

Chris Courtney
State Certified Residential Appraiser - 15 years
Oregon Real Estate Broker - 10 years
http://www.HouseNow.com
(541) 284-2511 tel
(541) 912-1405 cel
Web Reference:  http://www.HouseNow.com
Other/Just L…, , Fleming Fitch Grant, Holly Hill, FL
Fri Jul 25, 2008
Lending note:

The items you mention - missing thermostat cover, extension cords used in attic - will absolutely be required to be corrected prior to an FHA approval. So if any of your buyers wish to use FHA's 3% down payment option, you'll have some work to do to bring your home into compliance for HUD.

The thermostat cover would most certainly be noted by an FHA certified property appraiser (who is NOT a home inspector, by the way), the extension cords in the attic may escape his/her attention. But anything in the home inspection should be corrected before entertaining offers from buyers using FHA insured purchase mortgages.
Tom Hoffman, Agent, Portland, OR
Fri Jul 25, 2008
I agree with the others. Talk to your agent. In my Tommy's World, we would review the inspection report, go over the Property Disclosure, and renew it if needed. It is better to err on the side of over disclosure in my opinon.

More importantly, issues that come up should be repaired, they will come up again. Be ahead of the game, and remove potential objections before the next buyer inspects the home.

A functional Thermostate is OK, but if the cover is off... it is broken as far a a buyer is concerned.

I once had a real Junky Chevy Vega, among other things it had a worn out transmission. I had no problem shifting it, but any one else, could not shift it at all. I was ok with it the way it was. But no one else would drive it, much less want to buy it, because of the lousy shifting tranny.

What is acceptable to you, may not be to a buyer, your agent should be encouraging you to think about what a buyer sees when they tour your home.

Good Luck with your sell.
Web Reference:  http://www.tomshometeam.com
Gloria Matth…, Agent, Vancouver, WA
Thu Jul 24, 2008
as before....work with your realtor. The disclosures should be updated or redone, to reflect any defects that have not been remedied. If the thermostat works, and not defective, that does not need to be disclosed. If there are no extension cords in the attic...that does not need to be disclosed. The use of extension cords may be a potential safety issue, but not a defect. Certainly they could be removed.

Please work thru the list, with your realtor. Those things remedied are remedied and do not need to be disclosed, any real defect not remedied must be disclosed. It protects you too, for having disclosed them.

any future purchaser should get their own inspection, and their realtor will recommend one they are comfortable with. New inspection, new report.....go from there, just do your best to remedy the things you can, disclose defects you dont, and any new buyer will get their own inspection and report.

one step at a time...best wishes
gloria matthews
Jensen White Real Estate
Vancouver WA
Tom Inglesby, Agent, Portland, OR
Mon Jul 21, 2008
What does your agent say? If there are noted code violations I would say yes you have to note this on a addendum after the first one you filled out.. A buyer can ask for a copy of the inspections and I would give it to them. They didn't pay for it so they have no recourse to the inspector later if something was missed and they bought your house. Buyers can see threw the little things and sellers are always mad about the little things. Don't worry about them. The inspector is looking to be very tough with the inspection. I would also fix what is noted or say you will not fix the noted problems on the inspection. Disclose even the little stuff. Good Luck.

Tom Inglesby, Broker
RE/MAX Equity Group Inc
503-495-5416
Keith Sorem, Agent, Glendale, CA
Mon Jul 21, 2008
Rick
I agree. You should be talking to your agent.
However (this is not legal advice,) disclosures from one buyer are generally considered to be added to the disclosure list...not uncommon. However, talk with your Realtor.
Ed Burnham, , Portland, OR
Mon Jul 21, 2008
Hi Rick-

I'm not a lawyer, so I can't give you a legal opinion, and Tom's right: the first person you should be talking to is your agent.

My advice to my sellers: If the three most important things in real estate value are location, location, location, the three most important things in a real estate transaction are disclose, disclose, disclose.

That, in my opinion, puts the ball of responsibility squarely back in the buyer's court. Let the buyer-- this buyer or future buyers-- and the buyer's home inspector-- investigate the items cited and decide for themselves what's true, misleading or wrong in that report.

Home inspections reports are a tough time for both buyer and seller. Hope you and your agent have by now resolved any inspection issues with this buyer and the transaction is moving ahead.

Best wishes!

ED