Question removed

Asked by Debra Stewart, Jacksonville, AR Wed Aug 3, 2011

This question was removed by its author.

Answers

17
Erich Whitem…, Agent, FL,
Wed Aug 3, 2011
Hi. Cleaning the carpets with a deodorizing shampoo works best, since the most odor will be there. Liberal application of Odoban, Febreeze, etc will help as well baking soda left to soak up odors overnight after being sprinkled on the carpet, then vacuumed.

There are scented baking soda products from Arm and Hammer just for descenting carpets, from cigars to pet odors.

For pet odors, a bacteria based odor/pet stain eater works best in my experience.
Nicole Marks…, Agent, Boca Raton, FL
Wed Aug 3, 2011
Hi Debra. In lieu of removing carpet and repainting, I would have the home professionally cleaned and put strong room fresheners all over. If you accompany on showings you can put some slices of apple, cinnamon and vanilla in a small pie pan, place it in the oven on a low temperature. It will smell like apple pie.

Good luck with that.

Nicole Marks Mason, Realtor
Web Reference:  http://www.BuySellBoca.com
Shirley Cheng, Agent, San Jose, CA
Sun Dec 4, 2011
Okay, the cheapest and most economical way of doing this is buying a few cans of Febreze. I have used it in open houses and it takes the musty smell and/or pet smells out. Now I would definitely use the extra strength stuff and during open houses, respray every hour or so when there is no clients walking around. Good luck with this one if it's still on the market or maybe keep it in mind for future listings.
Web Reference:  http://www.dolcehomes.com
Caroline York, Agent, St Petersburg, FL
Mon Nov 28, 2011
Step up to the plate and tell the seller they have to paint. If there is carpeting then it will have to be professionally cleaned or removed. Odors will drive buyers away as quickly as dirty woodwork and bathrooms. I think of our job as being one that is to help our sellers sell and get the best price. This smell is lowering the value fo the property to every buyer that enters. Don't sit back and try to cover it up. Paint and clean down to the bones. Good luck.
Radinka Ilsi…, Agent, Lakewood Ranch, FL
Wed Aug 3, 2011
oh Nicole, yummy, what a great idea! Will do that on my next open house!
Wed Aug 3, 2011
http://ewww....thats always a tough one! Repainting the walls, removing drapes, changing out carpet seems to be the only effective remedies I know of. I also have used those ionic air fresheners you can get a Bed Bath & Beyond.
Leisa Frye, Agent, Cumming, GA
Tue Oct 14, 2014
I put out cups of white vinegar everywhere to eliminate odors and it works. I have a lot of strong cooking smells in my area and the vinegar somehow absorbs the smell and evaporates in the cup over time. I hope you are successful with selling the home.
Jeff Holloway, Agent, Sebastian, FL
Sat Feb 9, 2013
You can rent on ozinator... turn it on high... no occupants... should blast it out with in 8-24 hours depending on severity! You will never know someone smoked there. It is the most cost effective answer. Also... it will not come back as it neutralizes the paint, carpet, drapes, furniture ect. It will also neutralize all other odors. The only time you will smell it would be if someone comes back in and smokes.
Vincent Vall…, Home Buyer, Palm Coast, FL
Sat Feb 9, 2013
Stale tobacco smell, clings to clothing, permeates wall paint, saturates upholstery, and brands everything it touches with that unmistakable scent. An all-natural paint additive has been developed. Air-ReNu, turns any newly painted wall surface, into an effective and permanent air purification system, no electricity or filters required. The Air-ReNu all-natural, technology permanently maintains healthy indoor air quality and continuously removes offensive odors.
Jeff Holloway, Agent, Sebastian, FL
Sun Dec 4, 2011
Use of the ozone machine is NOT a quick 5 minute fix. Minimum would be 24 hours, then maybe a day or so as needed. Quality of the machine also makes a difference. The ozone does penetrate walls and carpeting. I had a house where you could not find the smell. It turned out to be a dead rat IN the wall.
Jim Zeck, Agent, Watertown, SD
Sat Dec 3, 2011
have all carpets and draperies professionally cleaned.If it is real bad you will probably have to do some repainting . you could try something a little cheaper by renting a room air purifier to see if that will help
Jeanne Feeni…, Agent, Basking Ridge, NJ
Sat Dec 3, 2011
I too used an ozone machine which the owner had rented - but while it helped, it needed to run for longer in my case. This can be one of the toughest odors to deal with. We also took up all carpets and painted. But the odor survived - ozone machine was the next step. So based on my experience, use it allowing for adequate time for it to work.
Web Reference:  http://www.feenick.com
Don Tepper, Agent, Burke, VA
Fri Dec 2, 2011
Get the carpets professionally cleaned.

If there are drapes, have them cleaned or replaced.

Professionally clean or replace any other fabric in the room.

Have the walls washed. You might have to repaint--use Kilz as the primer.

Jeff mentions an ozonator. They're good; I've used them. But they're not perfect. It's likely that if you try it without taking the other steps mentioned above, you'll be disappointed. The smell can return. (Without getting technical, the ozone will neutralize a lot of odors. But it has to reach them. If the odors are embedded in carpets, for instance, the ozone (which has a very short "life") may not be able to reach it. And if the odor is in the padding (cat and dog urine are good examples of how that can happen, though smoke could, too), there's no way that the ozone can reach it.

And Caroline is 100% correct: Fix the problem. Don't try to cover it up with candles, room deodorizers, etc.

Jeff Holloway, Agent, Sebastian, FL
Sun Nov 27, 2011
Forget professional removal and air freshners! The BEST and low cost solution is to have an ozonator unit put in the unit! OZONE will neutralize ANY odor including cat urine and smoke. You can rent the units or buy one. You want the occupants to leave while it is doing it's job. Then can reoccupy. The ozone will disapate. The odor will be gone forever unless the source of the problem comes back. Call me with other questions. Jeff 954-646-8483
Highland Rea…, Agent, Glasgow, KY
Wed Aug 3, 2011
We have a company in Ky called Serv-pro that does this kind of work.
Debra B Albe…, Agent, Port St Lucie, FL
Wed Aug 3, 2011
This is difficult.

An ozone machine can help, however, you may need to have it painted, draperies removed, etc.

Debbie Albert, PA
Keller Williams Treasure Cost
Mott Marvin…, Agent, Sunny Isles Beach, FL
Wed Aug 3, 2011
~A good friend and colleague is in the specialty candle business.

He carries a variety of product that will help eliminate odors~

I may also suggest that you fill the house with 10-20
Web Reference:  http://www.plusya.com/mott