Question removed

Asked by Jane, Raleigh, NC Tue Mar 29, 2011

This question was removed by its author.

Answers

15
Mark Pelshak, Agent, Morrisville, NC
Wed Mar 30, 2011
Jane,

It really depends on what you and your agent agree to. Some clients prefer not to be informed as much in regards to their property and only really care to be informed when an offer is submitted. Then on the other hand, some clients like to be up to date on everything that is going on. I have a client now who I speak to 3-4 times a week and that is okay because that is what makes him comfortable. It sounds like you are requiring of your agent to involve you more as to what is going on regarding the sale of your property. I would suggest calling him/her up and letting them know what level of communication you are comfortable with.

Mark P.
Andrea Mills, Agent, Sebring, FL
Tue Mar 29, 2011
Have you discussed this issue with your agent when you listed your property? Keep in mind that each of us has a different approach to doing business. I know of agents that will only contact their customers if there is activity on the property, showings, web traffic etc.
I like asking my customers beforehand how often and how they expect me to contact them. Everyone is different. Some customers prefer to be briefed a couple of times per week, others feel bothered by a weekly call.
Because the first couple of week on the market are the most crucial, I would say that no contact for 4 - 6 weeks is unacceptable - at least to me.
Brandon Will…, Agent, Cary, NC
Tue Mar 29, 2011
It sounds like there is not any activity on your listing. You may want to reach out to your agent to reduce the list price. If the home was showing regularly and there was activity on it, your agent would probably be in contact with your more. If the home is not showing and it is listed then there is either something wrong with your listing or it is priced too high. If you have looked at your listing online and it looks good and it is still not showing then it is priced too high.
Terri Vellios, Agent, Campbell, CA
Thu Mar 31, 2011
This is as per your discussion with your agent. Each Seller has a certain expectation and each Agent set's up their communication differently.

I offer my clients a phone call each week at a established time of day. They also receive a weekly email update on the market value of their home. In addition, they receive an automatic email when ever a competitive home comes on the market, goes pending and closes escrow. For some Seller's this may be too much, in which case we would adjust. My weekly phone call may sound like this, "Good Morning, this is our weekly update. There have been no calls on your property. The website had 50 hits. And nothing else in your neighborhood has sold or come on the market. Are there any changes you would like to discuss?"

In our area if nothing has sold or been shown in 10 to 14 days a price adjustment is advised, by 30 days or less.
Web Reference:  http://terrivellios.com
Nathan Wolf, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Thu Mar 31, 2011
Depends on your property, price point, and your expectations of your agent. Phone, text and email go both ways. I have some clients that like to check in with me weekly. And some who don't.

If you're not getting any calls or showings after a month or six weeks, then you're priced too high. Simple as that. All houses will show and all houses will sell. It's just a matter of price. Call your agent if you want more interaction. And lower your price if you want more showings.

Townhomes and condos are even slower in our market.

Nate Wolf was recently named a FIVE STAR REALTOR by CHARLOTTE MAGAZINE.

Over 11 Years serving in the High-End Charlotte Market: Uptown/Center City/Fourth Ward. Eastover / Myers Park / Dilworth. SouthPark / Glen Eagles / Piper Glen. Ballantyne / Weddington / Waxhaw. Huntersville / Davidson / Cornelius / Lake Norman. Lake Wylie / Fort Mill.

http://www.clthome.com
Web Reference:  http://www.natewolf.com
Tina Hackett, Agent, Raleigh, NC
Tue Mar 29, 2011
I am in contact with my clients via email on a weekly basis, even if nothing has been happening. After all, you want to know your agent is still alive and still in the business; right!? ;-) I think even once every 2 weeks would be fine. If you are concerned, let your agent know it. Let them know how often you think is reasonable. Good luck! Tina
Michael Colv…, Agent,
Tue Mar 29, 2011
Hello Jane
This is something that I discuss with my clients, how often we have contact and form of contact, all clients expectations are different in this regard.
Michael
Sharon Lewis, Agent, Garner, NC
Tue Mar 29, 2011
I contact my clients at least once a week, usually more, because the home is generally not on the market for long and clients deserve to hear from us, we represent their interests.
Are you with a discount broker?
I would suggest you contact your agent and sit down and talk to them about your expectations, tell them what you want . Remember this, YOU are in control of this situation, the agent represents YOUR interests Every phone call they receive about the property has to be told to you. They have an obligation to fully represent your interests the way you would like them to be represented. You can always talk to their broker in charge, if you feel you are not getting the service you like, or the North Carolina Real Estate Commission
which is set up to protect you, the consumer.
Jane, I hope that helps you.
David Cooper, Agent, Los Angeles, CA
Tue Mar 29, 2011
Dear Jane. Maybe it's me, but when I list a home for sale, I expect it to be SOLD yesterday. The listing agent get's a call from me EVERY DAY. I treat the agent as my employee and I want to know what effort was taken to get my house SOLD. I let the agent know this up front, and if they don't like to work that way, I hire someone who will. Fire your agent.

David Cooper Las Vegas Foreclosure Investor, Bank Owned with Cash Flow. Freee List +1-7024997037 davidcooper@lasvegaswinner.org not a real estate agent
Sherwin "Sea…, , Coral Gables, FL
Tue Mar 29, 2011
Hi Jane. Your agent should be in contact with you a minimu of every two weeks, preferably every week. All it takes is a simple call, "Hey, how are you doing and do you need anything?" Anything less than that, in my opinion is poor customer service.

Sean Mena
Vice President, Business Development
Coldwell Banker Advantage New Homes
Tyler Grubbs, Agent, Raleigh, NC
Tue Mar 29, 2011
Jane,

It all depends on the agent. In my opinion a month with no contact is unacceptable. I contact my sellers at least on a weekly basis. I also send out weekly activity reports to inform my clients of the marketing activity on their home. It is best to establish a contact schedule when the home is listed. That way the agent and seller both know how often to expect contact and what contact method works best for both parties.

Tyler Grubbs
Broker, eCertified
Prudential York Simpson Underwood
919-280-7288
Jim Laudate, Agent, Cary, NC
Tue Mar 29, 2011
To resolve your question about time, contact your agent and discuss with him/her.The frequency of contact is something I discuss when signing the agreements. Some sellers want more than others. Call your agent and discuss all the feedback you have received on the showings, that will give you a good feel for how buyers view the home and what changes, price, paint, clutter, etc you need to address to help move the home. Then discuss how often you expect to be kept up to date.
Barrett Powe…, , Cary, NC
Tue Mar 29, 2011
It really depends on the understanding you and your agent have. It sounds like you and your agent may not be on the same page regarding communications.

Your agent may be thinking he / she will communicate when they have something to tell you. You may be thinking you would like to hear from them more often. It is very difficult in a situation like we have today where activity may be very low. You are in the dark and your agent doesn't have anything to pass along.

Send a note to your agent or call them and say you just want to check in. Then ask them what their communication process is regarding a listing. Ask if they do regular updates on the property even if there is no activity. Don't be afraid to tell them you would like to be contacted on a regular basis, if for nothing else just to get an update on the market or area activity.

I have some clients I don't contact unless we have something to discuss. They prefer it that way. Then there are others I communicate with many times a week. It just depends on the clients preference.
Drew Ludlow, Agent, Apex, NC
Tue Mar 29, 2011
Even with no activity on your listing, your agent should be in contact with you every two weeks. Perhaps to share some online stats, current market trends, things you could do to improve the home, or even to suggest a price reduction.

If there is no activity on your home, then most likely the agent forgot about you which is a common mistake many agents make. Out of sight, out of mind. Some believe that the listing will not sell, and therefore there is nothing they can do.

Regardless... the move right now is yours. Tell your agent what you expect. If there are plenty of showings and no offers, your agent should tell you what you can do to get that offer. If there are no offers and no showings, then your agent should tell you what you can do.

Bottom line though... I can tell you that if you have nothing for 6 weeks, you are overpriced. Your agent knows that too.
Web Reference:  http://www.drewludlow.com
Mark Massey, Agent, Corolla, NC
Tue Mar 29, 2011
It is important for both parties to stay in touch during the listing period to continually evaluate / strategize the marketing approach, to monitor market activity, and for the Seller to know their property is being properly serviced.

If possible, it is best to set the expectation of both Agent and Seller in the beginning, but never too late to do that now. Depending on lot or home, and location of parties, I would expect updates and status reports at a minimum of every two weeks.

Mark J. Masse, BD&A Realty, 252-202-4335