Question removed

Asked by Jennifer, San Diego, CA Thu Feb 28, 2008

This question was removed by its author.

Answers

75
Orleta Wehla…, Home Buyer, San Fernando, CA
Tue Aug 5, 2008
I live here in the park and the rent is way to high, that's the problem here. I'm trying to sell my home and i could if the rent was lower. I have nowhere to go if I loose my home because of the rent. I'm a single parent and my entire check goes for rent and some out of the next check.
Mickey, , San Bernardino County, CA
Mon Apr 6, 2009
Jennifer and Donna...please contact me at badlease@gmail.com when you can.

Jennifer, Both Buyer And Seller, San Diego, CA
Fri Apr 3, 2009
Hi all,
I saw another post recently that indicates this question might be hurting some of us trying to sell. Honestly I don't think it would make any difference if these posts were singing the praises of Terrace View. As you can tell I've pretty much lost hope of selling.

Anyway just in case I am going to delete the question next week, any last comments speak now or forever hold your peace.
Thu Feb 5, 2009
Yes thank you Mickey, I just read the side article about how they (Tatum and Kaplan) were sued in 1991 when they first took over the park. Obviously our issues with them are not new.

We didn't sign the new lease addendum, I purposely made sure when our lease ran out not to sign a new one, but guess what the "management" told my dad when our place sells the new tenants have to take over the lease (and get a 10 percent fee/increase for doing so). I guess they think because my dad is older they can trick him, but I know I'm not under a lease. Unbelievably they are trying to make it hard for me to sell my place, spaces are emptying left and right and they want another empty spot?!

Here is something I have been meaning to pass on, my real estate agent infomed me there is a home in the park listed at 39,900 that has been on the market a year, it has had numerous inquiries but everyone of them lost interest when told the rent was 1075.00. I saw it, it is a really nice home, a newer manufactured home worth more than 39,000. I am trying to sell mine which is also a manufactured home, not as new, and my rent is 1200. I have already had one rejection do to the rent, I expect many more, the odds are I will have to sell my home at an extreme loss to get out of this park. I literally have to work extra to pay off the remainder of my loan so I can sell my place cheaper (its already priced far below what I have invested in it), I don't know yet how low I will have to go but I am praying for a miracle.
Donna Wright, , 92021
Thu Feb 5, 2009
Good Morning Mickey.

Thank You so much for the web reference. I knew Tatum and Kaplan owned numerous parks. I just didn't know how many. This is some of the info that I was looking for. Now it's just trying to get more people to pay attention to what is being done to those of us who have the misfortune to be their tenants. It's amazing just how low Tatum & Kaplan, and by extension MCM can sink!!!!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately, I think some people in our park may have already signed this document just trying to hold onto their homes.
Mickey, , San Bernardino County, CA
Wed Feb 4, 2009
http://badlease.blogspot.com/
There's a lot of info here regarding your park owners and MCM.
Bet Mar, Home Seller, 92021
Thu Dec 11, 2008
hey donna, and fellow T.V.M.E. gang members here is my e-mail betmar1@att.net. Donna i don't have alot of time but e-mail me and i'm sure we can come up with a forum to talk openly, i have a few ideas. if everyone else sends me an e-mail we will get things rolling.
Donna Wright, , 92021
Wed Dec 10, 2008
Hi Bet Mar,

Supposedly, there is a book in the office that shows what each lot’s cap is. Two tenants who were out when I was walking my dogs told me about this book a few months ago. I know the park does NOT offer to show it to you. When I finally remembered to ask the assistant manager, she told me she did not know where it was kept. From what I remember being told when I moved in, individual rents would hit a certain amount and then slow down. I don’t recall being told that they would ever stop. I think, as for the so-called “emergency rent stabilization program”, they want it to look like a kindness being offered. It’s even worse than an insult. It’s like being punched repeatedly and having someone ask if you like it.

As for qualifying? I’ve received letters in the past, which have said that your house and lot have to meet certain standards to “qualify” for anything that they’ve offered. Even though the park is not conforming to the same standards. How kind that we are being offered lower increases when we are 3-500 dollars higher than everyone I've found. Except for Rancho Valley (although they are still lower priced)! I’m pretty sure it wasn’t just offered to us because I got it and I know of at least 2 others that got it. In fact, before I had opened my rent statement, I had another neighbor ask me if I had gotten it.

I’m trying to figure out a way that we can communicate back and forth besides here. I am guessing, from the lack of response to the email that I sent you directly about a month ago, you may not have known who it was from! The address would have started out Donna_………….? That way; maybe we can take some of this offline.

I’m not so much worried about the people in management seeing this, I just think that there are things happening or occurring that could or should be discussed in a less public forum.
Bet Mar, Home Seller, 92021
Sat Dec 6, 2008
"Rent Cap Program" ? Voluntary ? with what we pay it must be a program that raises your rent to the cielling, i mean the "Cap", cause it sure doesn't mean a freeze on raising rent ! But not to worry !! Emergency measures are being taken, an "Emergency Rent Stabilization Program" , voluntary, does this mean that someone for the last 3-4 years sneaked in to thier office and raised the rents, to the max , and managment has just caught it? Or or or , they just suddenly realized, "oh my god, look what we have been doing to these people!, we must stop this desreputable robbing!! i think it is thier way of saying, that they, will choose, who will and will not get cheaper space rents.

For me, i see it as an insult, in the most expensive park around how can they even claim to have a "Rent Cap Program, if we qualify????? Who the hell isn't paying a high rent!

Or, it's a sneaky way to update thier (our) personal records.. i wish we had another place to communicate other than here, this is a realestate forum, one that the people we speak so highly of probably brows themselves. I think we should check to see if this was distributed park wide, or just to us ...... : )
Donna Wright, , 92021
Fri Dec 5, 2008
Jennifer,

I'm glad I'm not the only one that saw it that way. It was like another slap in the face!

I wish I had a way to send info to youI I'd share copies of flyers that show what some of the other parks in San Diego are paying. I sent our district manager copies. Unfortunately, I sent it off the same day this "kind offer" was dated.

Let's see how that is taken
Fri Dec 5, 2008
Just what I read on that strange paper they included with my rent bill. I read it twice then had a good laugh at their audacity! Other parks that charge less to begin with gave their tenants a year without a raise due to the economy, our park which is already higher than other parks is only willing to give a discount on the yearly raise (and only if you qualify)! It is so ridiculous you just gotta laugh.

I didn't go talk to management to see if I qualify. Frankly I figured out if I were to move my home to another park the amount I would save per month would pay for the cost of moving it in one year. ONE YEAR! If my house doesn't sell by June (when my increase comes due) I'm just going to have it moved.
Bet Mar, Home Seller, 92021
Fri Dec 5, 2008
Heads up T.V.M.E. crew, anybody know anything about a "Rent Cap Program"? How about a "Emergency Rent Stabilization Program"?
Angel, Both Buyer And Seller, El Cajon, CA
Tue Nov 25, 2008
is there a way to maybe redo the lease at a lower cost?
Donna Wright, , 92021
Tue Nov 25, 2008
Hi Jennifer,

The newest one that I know of, on the street to the right off of the middle road (when entering), was put there by the lady who already lived on that space. If this is the same home, I was wondering why on earth she would stay in the park. I know of one other couple who moved out of the home that they were in and bought a newer, larger home. Maybe they're being offered incentives to stay? In earlier posts, you questioned what might be in store for the park. It seems if the management company had any plans, you'd think that disclosure laws would require them to tell any new tenants. If buyers are getting 30 year loans and the park land lease is only for another 15 years , I think I'd be a little leary of buying something brand new

The person that I had call and inquire about space rents in here was told that the rental increase formula is 4% plus CPI, so if we can figure out how to look up CPI, that should tell you what your increase will be. It must be falling some (go figure with the economy) because I actually had just a little bit smaller increase this year. It still came to approx $78.00
Mon Nov 24, 2008
Hello everyone,

I heard when they put that new one in on the middle row, its space rent was in the 700's. I also heard the new real estate person was getting these reduced rents in order to bring in tenants.

I know someone who was offered, a reduced rent while his house is on the market but he had to agree to pay the rest when it sold. Not exactly helpful.

I have already been told to expect my next increase (their planning ahead, since its not due til june) which will increase my rent to approximately 1300 a month. If mine doesn't sell by then, I will just take the 5-6,000 and have mine moved to another park. I could make back what I spend on the move in one year at the lower rent.
Donna Wright, , 92021
Mon Nov 24, 2008
Good Afternoon BetMar.

You are right on the mark about my feeling that this could possibly be construed as discrimination (just a hunch at this point). How could it be seen as anything else if existing tenants are being penalized for already living here and if incoming tenants are being offered rents 4-500 dollars less? The only problem is getting proof! I spoke at length with the district manager back during the summer months about what the other parks in this area charge and I told her I could supply this info if she wanted. Because she didn’t take me up on my offer, I’m guessing MCM has finally done comps on the area parks. I know that $750 is somewhere in the low mid-range. I also had someone call anonymously to ask about space rents here and she was told that they are between $900 and $1200 but that she would need to fill out an application to know the exact amount.

I think I’m still missing a piece of the puzzle here because it doesn’t all add up. I can honestly tell you that the response you got from the realtor you spoke with is going to be pretty common for agents familiar with Terrace View. I know this because of my personal experience with the agents I work with. Most of us did not pay exorbitant prices for our homes and yet to try to get out, we’ll probably take huge losses.

Did you notice that we lost another home within the last week? This was the 3rd sale for this house in the 7 years I’ve been here. The truth of the matter is that if the space rent weren’t so high, we would not be seeing the situation that we are. Yes the economy is in the tank right now, but I think more of us would be able to hold on if it weren’t for the rent!

I’m curious to know what part of the park (rather than the exact space number at this point) of the new tenant with the $750 rent (I wouldn’t want that disclosed on this website). This forum is just a little too public.
Bet Mar, Home Seller, 92021
Sun Nov 23, 2008
good morning everyone, i would think that everyone up to the right is enjoying there view, and the view being worth all the trouble. someone had mentioned earlier about not being able to sell there home because of the high space rent for there space, i mentioned my nieghbor who moved at a loss, had a high space rent also. well the new couple that moved in is only paying $750 a month . does that have anything to do with that grounds for discrimination case you mentioned donna? i met a realitor and mentioned our outragious rents and she was just blown away. after her amazement at why we are still living here, i informed her that i would need to find a realator that would have to arange the sale and purchase at the same time for us to make the move, she didn't take the bait and offer her services. i'm waiting to hear back from her, she said she would check into anything the owners/management people might be involved it. talk to you all later.
Donna Wright, , 92021
Wed Nov 19, 2008
Jennifer,

If you go up to the right, the good sized gray one (behind the stop sign at the corner, has been vacated (abandoned?) within the last 6 weeks or so. Also, the little one that is maybe the 4th or 5th one from the top of that little street (look for a small home with a newly planted and bark front yard) just had the for sale sign taken down within the last 2 months or so. I don't think it sold and the way the yard has been done is remarkably similar to the three that are listed by the company that works with the park on in park sales. Some of the people that live on that street haven't been there very long. And some I don't think will be staying much longer. I know of at least two that are VERY unhappy.

But if nothing else, they've got nice views!

I spoke with SDG&E and the county planning department to see if I could find anything out about what is being done in our area. The young woman I spoke with at SDG&E said that utilities are being put underground and that we are one of three areas being updated at this time (San carlos was one of the others). Doesn't sound too ominous. Also, the planning department couldn't find anything when I gave them our address. When I asked her about the type of letter that we were sent before, she said it sounds like the type sent out when someone is trying to change the land use. Not necessarily to SFR's but to multi dwellings.

We'll just have to keep watching and asking questions. It's probably a foregone conclusion that the park is not going to be forthcoming about their plans or what they may know. I was told recently by a realtor that they may start negotiationg new or different leases for people coming in. If this turns out to be true, maybe we could go after them on discrimination grounds (among other things).
Wed Nov 19, 2008
hey Donna,

I'm still here, just been crazy with work lately.
I did have an odd thought the other day when you come in the park if you turn right and go up that way, there are no empty spaces and only one for sale on that side. My thought was why? Is there some reason that side is happier? I mean if you go up every other row you see multiple for sale signs and plenty of holes, yet over there only the one for sale. I found that very odd.
Donna Wright, , 92021
Mon Nov 17, 2008
Hey Jennifer & BetMar,

Are you still out there and doing o.k.?
Pedro Olivar…, Home Buyer, El Cajon, CA
Fri Nov 7, 2008
For Dona Wright,

Please do not use my name on this website unless we talk about the Terrace Veiw Estates in person.
I just learned that and many residents of Manufacture Homes are communicating through this site.

This information was send to GSMOL to see what can be done in the Negatives.

By the way. Diane Jacobs has been contacted by GSMOL-Tim Sheahan President
Thu Nov 6, 2008
how can one get ahold of the lawyers, I never recieved a letter from them
Thu Nov 6, 2008
Bet

Good job with the car dealership! My parents got a few "lemons" when I was growing up so I know what that is like.

To change your "lake view terrace" you need to edit your profile. If you just click on your name it will go to your profile, then in the top right corner above your name and location is a link titled "Edit My Profile" if you click that it will let you change location, etc.

Donna,

I don't really think there is any rhyme or reason to their raises. I heard the 3 highest rule, and my friends thought that was why our rents were so high, but everyone I talk to seems to have an equally high rent. For the record our lease ran out years ago and we went to month to month and the raises werent any different. Ridiculously high before and after. Our annual raise climbed slowly for the first few years but when it hit the hundred mark it stuck there so every year it is around a hundred (99, 101, 107, 102, etc.) I would have to go back and find the old notices to be exact. I know my friends got virtually the same raises as us every year, we used to compare them (when they lived here).

As for our high quality park (ha), if you noticed on those questionarres the lawyers sent out every question on there the management has pretty much gone around and fixed all the ones that were visible. like the water thing that was dug up right at the front for so long, and the hill that was sliding forever. I have some pictures I took before they fixed them, however. Of course there are things they havent' done still like upgrading the power and water lines. If your not aware the power in the court fluctuates, I have a UPS hooked up to my computer that reads the voltage and it jumps around like crazy. It is so bad (fluctuating power) for my computer I only run it at night during the summer. Don't even get me started on all the times we have been without water.
Bet Mar, Home Seller, 92021
Wed Nov 5, 2008
hello, sorry for my slow reply Donna, yes i'm in terrace view, where i got lake view from i have no idea. as soon as i figure out how to change it's going to say "burned in terrace view" : ). as far as the attorneys i would think that claims by tenents not recieving and i believe i read "having it taken out of thier mailbox" would be a major +. if i'm not mistaken removing mail from a mailbox is a felony. Orleta, you say you could not sell your house because of high space rent? my nieghbor sold for a loss,thier rent was $1300. a new couple have now bought and moved in, thier space rent? a wapping $750.00. Donna, recomending you to be a contact person was way out of line, i appologize, my only logic behind it was that your name is stated in your avatar for everyone to see. but i think instead the reason is your not afraid to speak your mind, and are willing to get involved. as far as the work up the hill, my wife works for the people who now own the old hospital on the corner of greenfield and old 8. this is where the people doing the work have a temp yard for eqiupment ect. they are installing a larger water main, funny thing is SDGE is working right along with them. bigger water main, gas and electric, sounds like you ladys are right on the money. maybe on the money might not be the proper words : ) good point on jepordizing people trying to sell thier homes if we start hanging our signs to attract attention to our problem. i still think calling attention to the problem by hanging signs , heck even posting people with signs (like strikes) walking in front of the park ( of course with faces covered : ) ) would attract all the attention we need to expose and force managment to rethink thier agenda. i know after a day or two the news will get involved. this worked very well with a major car dealership when i showed up with a big "this place sells lemons" sign on my (thier) van and a picket sign, i became a VIP status customer with a statement on my service file stating that when show up with a problem give me a free rental and do whatever it takes to keep me happy. well i'd like to keep rambling on but bed time. we need a fight song! just kidding. good night
Wed Nov 5, 2008
I am sorry I was not clear earlier. Although I hate the lot rent prices in Terrace View, it is STILL a much nicer park than were I was. Although the rents are high, it is still cheaper than living in an apartment of the same size.
It is not perfect but it is better than some and worse than others. I had a friend that lived in a mobile home park on Royale, space rent was the same and you had to have nearly perfect credit to move in. The price of living in San Diego County is high prices for a home to live in.

I left the area, not because of the rents but because my marriage failed and then there were to many memories of my son James who was murdered on Sweetwater Rd by a hit and run driver.
Donna Wright, , 92021
Wed Nov 5, 2008
Jennifer,

When I moved in here, I was told that the rent increases, unless I misunderstood horribly, would be 10 3/4 + CPI (consumer price index). The first year that I was here, I was hit with an increase of about $78 (from memory) When I called MCM to pitch a fit, I was told by the person that I talked to, that that was what is was going to be and if I felt the need to move, while they wiould hate to see me go (after buying a brand new home here) they would of course understand.

I got the info on the park you're talking about, directly from it's manager. It is a small park, the lots are smaller, but at the same time, for $500 a month less, I'd live with it. This is part of the research that I have been doing. I even told Dorothy, the District manager, about the rental amounts I was getting just from calling around. At that time, she said she would start researching rents in the area. She then made a few comments about our park versus these "lower rent" parks that I found to be hilaious. This is what I keep coming back to, if you compare our park and any around us, the vacancies, condition and rents don't compare. We are in the dump!!!

Not that it makes it any better, but I know of one couple who walked away from their home after receiving an 18% increase (this from their son). I 've never heard about the smaller increase form if you were not written up for the previous year, but I was offered that when the most recent lawsuit was in the works if I'd opt out. I declined. To me, it was like a slap un the face. They're stealing money from me and they want me to lie down and accept it. I don't think so! My neighbor told me that they are hitting the 10 year mark and is under the impression that he will be hit with the 3 highest average formula you're writing about. He has a lease.

So while I know monetarily our rents have a large variance, and that they are for different lengths, the different terms really don't make sense. Unless we all have varying misconceptions about the meaning of our leases. It really seems strange that your increases have steadily climbed because mine have actually decreased just a little. They are still far too high.
Wed Nov 5, 2008
Not sure what you mean Angel, it kind of sounds like your saying a bad park in a bad area is 800 so its ok for the rent in Terrace view to be what it is. I'm guessing from your previous posts that wasn't your intent.

Orleta and Donna,
My rent is 1200 and I was outright lied to when I moved here 10 years ago. We were told that our yearly increase would only be about 25 dollars. The only time it was that amount was then, the next year it was fifty, then 75-80 and since then 100 every time. They outright lied to me, because they new I never would have signed the lease if they told the truth. They use some nonsense about it being based off some index or something but I don't buy it. There was also supposed to be some rule about if your not on a 10 year lease your rent is based on the three highest in the park, I dont buy that either because everybody I talk to has a rent that is about 1200 (some a little more and some a little less).

There was a thing they used to do too, that if you didn't get any notices for the year you could sign some form and get a smaller increase. Of course they don't tell anyone about it , I found out from a neighbor and got it that year only, every year after I got at least one notice hmmm.....

I know a lady in the park across the street from us, on Aurora and her rent is in the 700's and they didn't give them an increase this year because of the economy.
Wed Nov 5, 2008
before I moved to Terrace View I lived in a different park in Spring Valley. the lots in that park were 1/3 of the lots at terrace view. At the other there was maybe 6 ft between homes. And the space rent there is only 800 for a bad area and park
Donna Wright, , 92021
Wed Nov 5, 2008
Hi Orleta,

I'm going to ask you the same question that I asked Bet Mar (but still haven't heard back from). Are we talking about the same park? Terrace View Mobile Home Estates in El Cajon?

I agree. It would be nice for them to drop the space rent. Will that happen? Maybe............ But according to my lease, which I've started studying very carefully, I don't think so. You think they'd try to retain current residents versus trying to find new ones. I don't think they really care one way or the other.

Don't feel bad, my rent is at $1193 (almost double my move in rate) and I've been here for 7 years. There really is not a rhyme or reason for the rent being what it is. It certainly isn't because the park has anything better to offer than anywhere else. And it is no where in line for most of the parks around us. The highest one I've found within about 5 miles is at $1040 for their highest space (the park next to us). But their park looks a lot better. And one of my longest running complaints, besides the high space rent, is the dollar figure of the increases. NONE of the parks around us have increases over $35 to $40 dollars on average. There is even one relatively close that did not raise its rent at all this year because of the economy.

But again, are we talking about Terrace View Mobile Home Estates in El Cajon?
Wed Nov 5, 2008
I have lived here for 10 years and had my home up for sell and coudn't sell because of the space rent to high at 1.245 a month and when it goes up again i have to leave my home and i'm a single mom with no where to go. I think they want to sell land and make alot of money off it instead of buying us out. I had alot of people wanting to buy my place. They need to drop the space rent and it isen't because of hard times. The rent has be going up for years at a high rate. We need help and nobody will help. What are we going to do?
Donna Wright, , 92021
Tue Nov 4, 2008
That's odd. I thought the equipment I had been seeing in front of Rancho Valley was for road work.there It seems strange that they would go up from that direction because if you go up by the water tower, it looks like it'd be easier from the other side.. There is actually an entrance up to the tower from that side. If you look at a Thomas Brothers map, it looks like maybe Jackson Hill Dr. but I've never been that far up Jackson Hill.

I thought that little paved area beside Rancho Valley was just a driveway to the houses on top of the hill. Might be wrong but have never been up it to look.

I do remember the letter about the development. But the surveyors stakes I saw were in the canyon. It has been probably 3 years since I walked down there so I haven't really looked lately. But if the letter we got before came from the county (maybe the planning department?) that might be a good place to start asking questions about anything upcoming. Unless someone still has the letter?
Tue Nov 4, 2008
Yes they are behind the water tower area, you see the equip in front of that other park (Rancho Valley?). I remember a long time back a notice came to us in the mail that there was going to be a condo (or housing development, I forget which) development going in, then nothing happened so I thought the economy killed it but now I see lots of equipment. I don't know how close there going to come....

I never heard about the land behind us, I heard he owned the land beside us (empty) and was going to sell it for condos but it fell through.
Donna Wright, , 92021
Tue Nov 4, 2008
Jennifer,

How recently did you notice changes? Are they on the hill by the water tower? I know a few years back, I had seen some surveyors stakes in the canyon, but the market has since gone into the tank. Of course, for speculators, this is probably the perfect time to be buying property. I was told many years ago that the family that owns the land the park sits on also owns the canyon behind us. How true that is I don't know. You know how gossip is.

I've been so busy watching the park, I don't know if I've missed changes around us.
Tue Nov 4, 2008
Hi Donna,

I get more and more curious about what their up to. It really doesn't make sense on paper for them to be ok with so many people leaving. Call me suspicious, but I'm sure they have a hidden agenda, I just don't know what it is.

I did notice the work going on, on the hill behind us, I think condos or homes are going in there.
Donna Wright, , 92021
Mon Nov 3, 2008
Hi Bet Mar.

I'm curious. I noticed that under your avatar, it says Lake View Terrace. But we're in Terrace View Mobile Home Estates in El Cajon. Are we talking about the same park?

As far as getting the attorney re-interested in representing us, we were given a time frame. I would have to look and see if that window is still open. When we were sent the letter stating that the law firm was not going to be representing us, it was because not enough people returned the questionnaire. I know there are people who never saw it.

As far as being a contact person, depending upon how many people are interested in making a racket about this situation, I will give it some very serious consideration. I'm not sure what I can do but I'm very angry about the neighbors that we've lost. And I don't think we''re done. I'm also furious on my own behalf. I'm kinda selfish like that!

It seems to be a semi -common thread in responses, that many of you are concerned about the managment company selling the park out from under us for condos or houses. I'm not sure how that could happen because they DON"T own the land. They own the lease of the land. When I signed my lease with them it states that this is until 2023. However, I'm trying to figure out what benefit they, the lease owners,are getting from losing $25,000 to $30,000 in rents every month. It seems like that puts them running at a heck of a loss.

It was the land owner who recommended we contact an attorney when some members of the HOA asked him for help. If he, as the actual land owner wanted to sell the property, It seems like he would have to buy the lease back. I may be wrong, but for it to be more valuable to Terrace View, LP., I would think the park should be occupied to its fullest.

If any of you would care to contact MCM, or the park directly, via fax, mail or whatever, all of the numbers and addresses are in the park magazine that we get every month (I noticed that yesterday for the first time).

Donna

Donna
Donna Wright, , 92021
Mon Nov 3, 2008
Hey Jennifer,

No harm, no foul. Don't worry, I do understand. I think most of us would have much preferred a house vs. a mobile home. I never would have bought one if I could have afforded a house. I wish you the best of luck with your loan qual. It is a very scary time in real estate and the economy ( I work for a home inspection company) I get to see a lot of this first hand. If you have contact with any of the people who lived on your street but have moved, they might be very willing to put something into writing for you. They can no longer be affected by this park so that may be a good place to start.

As far as land donation, I keep playing the lottery in small (really small) increments. Maybe some day..............
Mon Nov 3, 2008
Hi Donna,
Sorry I got a little carried away. Like everyone else I am in a precarious position. I have the opportunity (I think) to buy a real house (no insult intended) if I sell this one. So I can't afford to have management toss a monkey wrench in. With the state of the economy my loan qual is bouncing back and forth like a tennis ball (yes, no, maybe).

I was just thinking it would be nice to create our own anonymous (optional) forum something with a nice moniker like "Trapped in Terrace View". Then we could send it around to the media outlets and see if anyone would respond. It would be nice if we could have each person in the courts story, even some of the ones who have moved on. I was going to do it on my own webspace but I forgot my name is in my domain.

I wish we could find someone to donate some land we could all move our places to, leave this place empty. Well nice thought anyway.....
Donna Wright, , 92021
Mon Nov 3, 2008
Good Morning Yolanda & Bet Mar,

I read your comments this a.m upon returning to work (Monday). I have some answers (as I know them to be) to your questions about the attornies that had looked into our last possible lawsuit. But if you read back to the beginning of when I found out about this blog it will tell you a little about what was in progress and why it stopped/ceased. Diane Jacobs was sued a few years back and from my understanding has had her hands tied when it comes to mobile home parks. Turko has been contacted by myself. His recording states that if after two messages left he doesn't get back to the caller, he probably can't help. I left 2. But maybe the veteran angle might pique his interest.

I too have thought about the sign idea but don't want to hurt the people that I know that have their homes for sale (and are desperate to get out).

As I work M-F, 8 to 5, I will have to write more later. Please bear with me. My employer is kind enough to let me use the internet at my job so I don't want to push beyond my boundaries.

Donna
Bet Mar, Home Seller, 92021
Sat Nov 1, 2008
hey, so far i count 7 people involved in are little group. we need to improve this. can someone give me the details about the lawyer that was going to help us out, and what happened to the process. if we can get more people involved will he get involved again? how about putting up signs in front of park warning buyers to beware, and just simple owner/ management harrassment signs like "welcome to little russia all who enter are subject to park approved harrassment" : ) . if we make them cheap enough we can put them up just as fast as they tear them down. if i get a sign (markers and cardboard) supplier i will volunteer to put them up every time thier removed. i know this won't accomplish much but harrassment, but it might help relieve some of the pent up emotions that we my need to lose so that we can consentrate on more constructive methods for our problems. i am out of ink but if someone would print up notices to get tenents involved, i will distribute them. i read that Diane Jacobs (somekind of public official) got sued but won, making harrassing statements about certain mobile park owners about 2003-4. maybe she might be around still in a elected office and might help. donna wright, since your name is out , maybe we can use you as a contact person? i really hate to ask that, due to the risk, maybe we can all get together for coffee and plan the revelution : ). betmar1@att.net
Yolanda, Home Seller, El Cajon, CA
Sat Nov 1, 2008
I am horrified that our veterans who served our country and live in this dump are being treated like this! I am going to contact the VA and let them know how these veteran's are treated, my husband served and the stress of loosing our home is more than he can take. Bet Mar is a Marine (thank you for serving) should not have to live like he lives in a communist country. I also will leave Turko a message to please look at this Blog
and to respond as to how our park is ruled. I really believe that if Turko has a heart for anyone in this park that is a veteran will act upon our request to stop the HARRASSMENT.
Donna Wright, , 92021
Thu Oct 30, 2008
Jennifer,

Please don't think I'm being critical of you for wanting to remain anonymous. I understand about the stress you are referring to. Especially if you still have kids at home or whatever the case may be. I'm not asking or implying that you should put your name or space number. I too have been harassed numerous times over the 7 years that I have been here. I know all about the rent increases and the threatening letters. I declined their offer of a "possible lower rent increase" if I agreed not to sign onto the possible lawsuit. I have said almost from the beginning that many of the lawyers letters were probably removed from the mail tubes and discussed this with the paralegal who was our contact. I spoke to people on the top row who got the original letter but never got the questionnaires and this is why I'm pretty positive that is what happened. If you'll look back at my postings from the beginning, you and I are touching on a lot of the same things.

Part of the reason that I am being so open here is because I've watched this park slide into the condition that it is in. I truly figure, I'm either going to be forced to sell my home as a short sale or lose it altogether. This is why I am so p.o.'ed. I've already started my fight and am just gathering momentum. I'm not willing to go without a struggle. As far as the park decimating our credit, that is probably already going to happen to a lot of us. This was my chance at my little slice of the American dream. I'm single and this is what I could afford (in the beginning). Now it's being dragged our from under my feet.

Again, please don't think I'm being critical. You are not the first person to say that by attending homeowners meetings you are opening the door to harassmant. I am not a joiner per se and that is why I don't go. I don't think its just fear that stops people, although I do think that's part of it. I think it has to do with the fact that many people don't like to fight or aren't sure how to approach this fight. Up until the last year or so, I've mostly had been pretty mute on this. One of the things that I do now though, is everytime I get any kind of letter, I respond to the trifecta of people who seem to be the signers on the correspondence. If I knew how to get you the numbers (addresses & fax numbers), I'd forward them to you. However, I'm not willing to put that info out online.

You also mentioned that your neighbors had trimmed the same bushes over and over and still got notices? I started demanding that they meet me and tell me exactly what it was they were finding deficient. I still got the nasty grams telling me if they had to have someone come do my yard work (backyard that no one sees) I'd be charged. That's kind of a given. We have a youngster as the asst, and I think she has the 7-11 night manager complex. I have neighbors who tell me when she has been nosing around and I always rebut her comments or write-ups. I will give as good as I get. They have made my home life miserable and I will make sure it comes back around. You know what they say about Karma............

I've already reached a point, where if it weren't for the fact that I have a lender, I would have walked away. That's why I really feel at this point, I don't have much to lose. My kids are raised, I'm single and have to live with the decisions that I make so I'm trying to make the best of a very bad choice that I made 7 years ago! I know we're in deep trouble and that's why I feel, on whatever level someone feels able/comfortable participating, it's o.k.

I noticed that you said your rent has more than doubled? My across the street neighbor told me that there is a formula that the park has, when you hit the ten year point, it will become something like the average of the top three spaces. This is why they are trying so hard to sell their home with a huge reduction over the last time they tried.

Hopefully more and more people will start posting here. I tell everyone I run into when I walk all about it. And if being anonymous it what someone is comfortable, that's fine. We need to get more people involved.

Donna
Thu Oct 30, 2008
I'll tell you right up front why I want anonymity. My friends who used to live in the park went to ONE owners association meeting they didn't even get involved in the complaints they just wanted to listen and see if anything was going to be done. They spent the next year plus getting regular notices from the management to trim their trees and shrubs. They trimmed the same trees and shrubs over and over again and still got notices. Not just the warning ones either, no they also got the ones where the management says if you don't do it within so many days they will, and bill you for it. Like anyone should have to pay more to live here!

I won't put my last name on here. My family can't deal with that kind of stress and harassment, I cant deal with that kind of stress and harassment. I don't have the time or the energy to be outside my house scrubbing, trimming, and making everything perfect. My house looks fine from the street but their are plenty of little things they could ding me on, they could even make up some like they did with my friends.

I do feel we should fight them, I just think the smartest thing is to get the information together anonymously then when we have enough people, go public. Frankly I think the reason no one has been successful at organizing the tenants is because when anyone starts management harasses the tenants trying to get involved and they drop out (and new tenants are afraid to join).

Another example is when some of the tenants tried to bring that lawyer in management stole some of them out of boxes and sent out threatening letters to the people who did get them. It's divide and conquer and they are very good at it. They rely on the fact that most people don't have the time and money (thanks to them) to fight them. The notice where they say they will charge you is a very good deterrent, as many people can barely afford the rent as is. If they add it on and you don't pay it, your going to have to go to court to fight them and in the mean time they can decimate your credit which makes it hard for you to get another place.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone if you can stand up and fight them without concern for what they will do, more power to you. However, I won't stand up publicly until there is enough of a crowd that we have a real chance. I think we are all in deep trouble but unless we all unite, we won't be strong enough to fight them. That is why I suggested we keep it as anonymous as possible to encourage more people to come aboard.
Donna Wright, , 92021
Wed Oct 29, 2008
Jennifer,

Is there a reason that you want this forum to be more anonymous than it is? You've only given a first name, no space number so I'm not quite sure what the issue is. I look at this as being the continuance of a fight similar to David (tenants) and Goliath (MCM & Terrace View Partners, L.P.) It's a way for people to vent at this point. No one in the cyber world should be able to figure out who people are by first name or screen names.

I figure, if there are more of us who will be leaving this park, and at the rate that it is being vacated, I'm sure there will be many more, I am not willing to leave without a lot of kicking and screaming. This home was my little piece of the American dream. My only mistake was buying into this park. I've watched many people that I thought were great neighbors forced to leave and I'm furious.

If we, as the remaining tenants are not willing to stand up for what is right, I feel pity! I am being overcharged to live in a dump and I make sure, everytime I notice things that I consider intolerable, I let the office and the district manager at MCM know. I am willing to take credit or blame for my actions and I really don't feel the need for anonymity.

I spoke with Pedro of GSMOL and will be updating him on the numbers about the park vacancies, etc. I have an excel file that might be helpful for him.

Something that everyone in the park may want to do is petition the SD Couty Tax Assessor to have your house re-assessed to reduce your taxes. Because our homes have lost so much value, it might behoove many here to file the paperwork. You can find it on their website. Our taxes are based on the supposed value of our homes, and what the assessor figures it has risen to. And they haven't risen, so most of us are paying too much. If the rumors I'm hearing are true, that the three homes closest to me, all no older that ten years old, sold for between 20,000 & 35,000 dollars, we're in trouble.

Donna
Mon Oct 27, 2008
I do think we all need to write up our stories and post it online, I'm not sure this is the best place to do it. I will look around and see if there is something I could set up that has a little more anonymity.

Did anyone else get the information on joining GSMOL? Its a mobile home owners group and they have a legal fund as well. Information went into my box but for those of you who didn't get it I will add a web reference.
Web Reference:  http://www.gsmol.org/
Bet Mar, Home Seller, 92021
Mon Oct 27, 2008
hello, i am thinking about sending a small notice out to everyone asking them to submit any problems with the park to this web site. if you all think this is a good idea, let me know and i'll print them up and distribute them. this might be a good way to see how many of us we can get together, maybe geet that lawyer to try again. Bet Mar
Donna Wright, , 92021
Fri Oct 24, 2008
Angel,

It might make a differemce in the legal sense. I'm not sure what all having Power of Attorney entails, but to be removed off of a lease might not be one of the things that it covers. Maybe you could ask whoever wrote it up?

Donna
Thu Oct 23, 2008
Thanks Donna,
I know which one you mean we have been watching it every time we went by (my family and I). Its good to know one can sell for more than 10,000. I have mine at 45,000 and I needed to know how far i may have to go down to sell. Appreciate the info!
Wed Oct 22, 2008
I never thought to ask him to remove me, but it should not matter since i have his full power of attorney.
the home i lived in was 49 a blue and white one....
Donna Wright, , 92021
Wed Oct 22, 2008
Jennifer,

I think the lot number of the first one is 63, it was the cute tannish and green one on the street just before you head up the road in the middle of the park. The lot still has insulation and debris on it (just in case I'm off on the space #) . According to the realtor, it went for $35,000 after having been bought for $65,000 approximately 2 - 3 years ago. The next one that is supposed to go is the beautiful blue/grey one 2 spaces up from that one. I know what this house listed at originally but not sure yet what the actual sales price was. Still waiting to hear on that one.

Angel,

I'm wondering if your husband requested to have your name removed, as well as you asking, if it would make any difference. Also, if both of your names are on the lease, it seems like it would have to be approved by both people who are the original lease holders to have someone additional move in and added. I know that new members or roomates are supposed to pass a credit check to get in and be on lease. Was any of that done? If not, that might be something to bring up, because the Park is breaking their own rules.

Of course we all know that is something that happens with alarming frequency!

Donna
Wed Oct 22, 2008
they would have no reason to contact me, my husband is still living there....and paying the rent.
is there a way to get ahold of the holding company?
1 2