Question removed

Asked by Nadia, Maine Wed Nov 14, 2007

This question was removed by its author.

Answers

7
J R, , New York, NY
Wed Nov 14, 2007
You don't sound unusual to me, most sellers want to second guess or worry their realtors. :)
Let them know how often you expect feedback. As for getting on websites, if you listed last friday, I probably would have had you in our local paper as a new listing this week (IF there were SPACE left, mind you), would have you on caravan either this week or next week, depending on what office had the caravan, and I'd be planning a brokers open for today or tomorrow. Not everything happens in ONE DAY, your house was listed Friday, it should be on all websites by Saturday. Your broker has already had one open? That's good. It isn't unusual to not get a call the first week, once you have a brokers open and your agent emails your new listing out the calls should come. If they still don't, that's another issue I won't go into here.
Jennifer Wil…, Agent, Lake Saint Louis, MO
Wed Nov 14, 2007
I think it is reasonable to expect once weekly communication from your Realtor. Try to work out a time every week to talk to him, and save your questions/concerns that pop up for that weekly check-in. I think you have a right to expect that your marketing should be in place. Keep in mind that on Realtor.com, it sometimes takes up to 72 hours to update from the MLS (as Realtors, we have NO control over that- abig problem with that site, IMHO). Realtors often have different strategies, and some are not as web savvy as others... he may need and welcome your marketing suggestions. I will also suggest what I tell all of my sellers- if it's been a week or more with no calls, you need to lower the price (no one wants to hear it, but it's true). Especially close to holidays- price it to sell and you'll get attention. I have represented more buyers in the last four weeks than I have all year, despite the market- they are coming out in force because the rates are lower! Good luck to you!
Web Reference:  http://www.LeoLawrence.com
Keith Sorem, Agent, Glendale, CA
Wed Nov 14, 2007
Nadia
There a surveys taken each year of buyers and sellers by Associations of Realtors and communication is always a hot topic.
I would ask the Realtor how they plan to communicate with you. If this Realtor is as good as you say then they must have systems in place: A marketing system, a listing system, etc.

Here is an example:
We (client and me) agree on a marketing calendar, which is in writing, noting open houses, brokers open houses, when the photographer is coming, etc.
We also schedule a time to either meet or talk on the phone to go over: Showing feedback from buyers and/or their agents, new competition, market changes, etc. This is usually weekly on Thursdays.
I have the sellers sign off on the MLS data, advertising, on and off line, and any other marketing that I do, including mailers, other Internet postings I do, etc.
I use Top Producer, a contact manager that provides each client with a portal so they can see exactly what I am doing by logging onto the own webpage.
Hopefully this gives you a picture of how it might work. FInd out what your Realtor is doing and how they communicate.
Web Reference:  http://www.glencrestteam.com
Diary Of A R…, , New York, NY
Wed Nov 14, 2007
There are phone people, and there are Blackberry people. Find out which your Realtor is -- i.e., what is this easiest way to communicate with him -- and then use that channel.

I find my "high-touch" clients -- I would never use the word "needy" -- actually respond well to texting back and forth on the phone, and I can do that in downtime between showings -- it's just a matter of setting those expectations out.

If you want more, I have a chapter in my book called "How to Talk to Your Realtor" -- the link is below.
Web Reference:  http://tinyurl.com/2ag28z
Linette Carr…, Agent, Wilmington, DE
Wed Nov 14, 2007
It sounds like you have alot of respect for the realtor you have hired. That is great. Be honest with him or her and tell your agent what you just stated about yourself. Once you have stated your personality, let them know that you respect their ability to sell your home but you do need some control by having them contact you once a week and letting you know what they are doing for your property. At the same time pick a date that the two of you will sit down and go over further plans to sell your home (price, advertising, open houses, etc.). It should help you feel in control and the agent should appreciate your honesty.
Nadia, Home Buyer, Maine
Wed Nov 14, 2007
Thanks, Steve. Nice pic.
Steve, , 32818
Wed Nov 14, 2007
What you might want to do is ask to see the marketing plan the realtor has for your property. So that you can see that things are moving. But you have a very valid point that the property should immediately by on trulia, zillow, and the rest. Have a talk with the realtor and say exactly what you said in this message. Let the realtor know what you expect. I think a 5 minute call each week or an email update would work well.

But give it time, the market is slow, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't get communication from the realtor. What you can ask the realtor for is weekly "What has sold" lists so you can have some more information that might reduce the worry.

Hope this helps
Web Reference:  http://frontyardview.com/