Question removed

Asked by Geo, Madison, WI Thu Apr 16, 2009

This question was removed by its author.

Answers

6
The Hagley G…, Agent, Pleasanton, CA
Sat Apr 18, 2009
Commissions are always negotiable.....
Web Reference:  http://www.cindihagley.com
Donna Hermsen…, Agent, Madison, WI
Sat Apr 18, 2009
Geo,
if you are happy with the agent that you worked with inpurchasing your home the you should discuss their marketing plan. If they have a good marketing plan to sell your home then absoluetly list with them. It is so important to find an agent who is willing to spend the time and money to get your home seen by buyers.

Do not be concerned about offending anyone by asking for a break on your commission. Most agent will do this if their company allows it.
As full time full, service real estate professionals with one of Madison's finest Real Estate Companies we offer our clients discounts if we handle more than one transaction. We offer a very aggressive marketing plan for our seller clients as well.

Any questions please feel free to call us.

Donna Hermsen & Dan O'Brien
608-770-1140
Sue Larson S…, , 53719
Thu Apr 16, 2009
If you feel the agent that worked with you in the purchase of your new home did a good job, was professional and you would like to continue to work with him/her then you should. If the experience was not A+ then you should work with someone else. Your Realtor is no different then your doctor or your dentist. If they do a good job and you are happy with the experience you continue to work with them. If not you shop around.

I am a Realtor with First Weber in the Madison marketplace. I would love to speak with you in person about what it takes to sell a home in this market.
Kristin Noll, , Milwaukee, WI
Thu Apr 16, 2009
Mike is right - it's up to company policy and what you negotiate with the listing company. Certainly don't worry about offending anyone by asking!

Keep in mind that they would probably offer you a small discount as incentive to get you to list with them vs. another company, so make sure that you let them know that would sway you.

However, I wouldn't let that discounted amount determine who you hire. If you get a discount off the commission %, but end up with an unmotivated, inexperienced and/or incompetent company/agent, you would be better off hiring someone at a higher percentage, whose skill, marketing and determination will net you more in the long run.

To "save" 1% in commisson, only to have your home sit on the market for months and sell 15% under asking price (or be mis-priced to begin with, just so they can sell it quickly) wouldn't make much sense.

Don't let the commission % determine who you hire - interview at least 3 companies and find an agent who has at least 10 years experience or just started in the last 2 years (so they know how to market in a realistic market), who has good company support, who's personality meshes with your own (you should like them) and who has extensive knowledge of internet marketing. For instance, if your agent has never heard of Trulia or doesn't advertise listings here, they haven't a clue how to market a listing in 2009!

I would definitely recommend calling a Madison First Weber office, too (I'm in Milwaukee) and speak to an agent there. We have a great program called Front Runner that gives every listing syndication to sites like Trulia and Zillow, creates voice-narrated tours and has an awesome multimedia presentation that can be accessed by our Smart Sign text message technology - it's pretty cool!

I'm curious why you would want to do your own photos? Are you a photographer? Be careful there - what you may want to highlight in photos and what actually helps your house sell may be two different things. Just be sure they are clear, well-lit and there are a LOT of pics for the internet - that's where buyers decide if they will want to see your home or not. Photos are even more important now than ever before! Also consider video and flash tours, as well.

Good luck with your offer!
Mike Adler, Agent, Madison, WI
Thu Apr 16, 2009
It really depends on the company policy. If I am handling both sides of the buying and selling, I offer a discount of 1% on the list side to the Seller. Some Real Estate Companies do not allow this though. To me as I have stated, you need to ask your agent about their company and policies. With regards to pictures, I allow Sellers to take pictures, but my company hires a firm that does take the pictures and they are done professionally. Call me if you have any further questions at 235-5115

Mike Adler
Restaino and Associates
http://www.mikeadler.com
235-5115
Web Reference:  http://www.mikeadler.com
Annemarie Ru…, Agent, Alpharetta, GA
Thu Apr 16, 2009
I suggest that you ask for a discount on the selling side of your home. If the sell and the purchase is in the same year then it is reasonable for your real estate company to give you discount.