protection period

Asked by Denise Fortin, Milford, MI Tue May 22, 2012

If an agent has a listing and it is unconditionally withdrawn, a buyer wants to buy the home who had been shown the home during the listing by another agent (buyer agent) is the first agent ( who lost the listing) entitled to a commission if the listing is put back on the mkt. and same buyer makes offer ?

Answers

2
Edith Karoli…, Agent, Winnetka, IL
Thu May 24, 2012
Your question is a bit confusing to me...

But assuming the first agent / brokerage lost the listing as it was unconditionally withdrawn.

Anything that follows really depends on the terms in the listing agreement there is usually a protection period either put in the listing agreement or automatically included in it, this prevents the Seller to sell
on his own to a buyer to whom the house was shown during that first listing period...

In that case in the case of direct sale through the Seller, the first Agent - listing agent should get
a commission.

If on the other hand after the unconditional withdrawl the Seller immediately lists the property again
with another REaltor and another Brokerage, no matter who the property is going to be sold to
the first listing agent does not get a commission.

That if I understood your question correctly and you were the listing agent only...

If you have any agency relationship with the buyer it is a different situation.

Hope this helps.
EdithSellsHomes@gmail.com YourRealtor4Life Working always in the very BEST interest of her clients Buyers Sellers and Investors alike, covering for @ Properties Brokerage the city of Chicago, all N and NW suburbs and the fine homes on the North Shore, and all of the US and worldwide offerings with my partner agents.... Edith speaks several languages ....
Have a great day :)
Karen Paytas, Agent, Clinton Twp, MI
Tue May 22, 2012
As far as I'm aware as long as the listing agreement was unconditionally withdrawn the previous agent is not entitled to any commission and their contract is considered null and void.

Good Luck,

Karen Paytas, GRI, CMS
Real Living Kee Realty
586-709-8465
kpaytas@mirealsource.com