potential buyer's leads...where to?

Asked by Gary Ockunzzi, Macedonia, OH Mon Jan 7, 2013

I am an aggressive seller who needs to sell my home and I believe in aggressively prospecting and trying to market it (over-and-above just being on multiple listings online). I am going to launch my own directly mail program (not massive, but professional). 4/color printing, colored envelopes, nice professional labels, etc. My home is on multiple listing, I am with a brokerage firm which has multiple offices; I have a listing agent. Am I allowed to disperse the leads which I obtain to anyone within the agency? Travel distances can sometimes be a problem, I realize that and also that agent's don't make any money until the sale is closed and all of the paperwork is in to the broker. If the shoe was on the other foot, I would understand. so, what can/should I do?

Answers

8
president, , Pompano Beach, FL
Thu Feb 7, 2013
one other thing i find there is no silver bullet, because if there was you would have a lot of very rich agents.
president, , Pompano Beach, FL
Thu Feb 7, 2013
Gary i too am a home owner and I applaud you , I do have an agent as a matter of fact i have had 3 and i have generated more showings then them . all of them . As a matter of fact my home is over 800k and i had 11 showings and one failed contract from January 15 to January 31. Prior to that i had 6 showings from October 15 to January 15. So continue to work with your broker as well as market it your self and i would be more then happy to share my techniques if you email me
president@nsll.us
Gary Ockunzzi, Home Seller, Macedonia, OH
Fri Jan 11, 2013
I'm just trying to help generate leads to sell my home. That's all. I spent 25 years in the publishing business where I was a salesman, sale manager, and a publisher. With this experience I discovered that you can't count on one medium as being the "holy grail,'" that it takes a media mix to work in synergy to get the job done. I didn't view online multiple listings as aggressive marketing but rather as a necessary but relatively passive presence. Any leads that I would obtain from my direct mail campaign I would give to my agent. The last home sale that I was involved in (my mom's condo, which I inherited as a trustee when she passed away, was sold from a lead generated from a post card mailing that I did for my agent. She appreciated it. I do believe in working with/for, my agent. That is exactly what I am doing with my direct mail campaign. (it doesn't cost the realtor a cent, I don't mind taking a chance on generating a possible buyer lead).

Gary
Annette Law…, Agent, Palm Harbor, FL
Tue Jan 8, 2013
Gary,
The nature of this action and the question you present suggests the prime objective is to generate leads and to make these leads available to agents NOT SELL YOUR HOME. Direct mail is a poor choice to SELL your home. Agents do not send Just listed/ Just sold to sell homes either.
-
You would be 100% CORRECT is using the Home For Sale collateral for a lead generation purpose.
This is a perfect opportunity to demonstrate the skills you have highlighted in your Trulia profile. There is simply no better way to build YOUR client base then sharing with them the RESULTS of the programs you will teach them to use. It is always an easier sell when based on results rather than vapor.
-
Regarding the dispersement options, you need to consult with your agent to determine what the laws of the State of Ohio dictate and how this impacts the listing agent. If you are not on the same page, the potential of misunderstanding and disagreement is increased.
-
Proceed with caution. If my assumption is correct....it's an exceptional idea!
Best of success,
Annette Lawrence, Broker/Associate
Remax Realtec Group
Palm Harbor, FL
727.420.4041
http://RealEstateMadeEZ.us
Jeanne Feeni…, Agent, Basking Ridge, NJ
Tue Jan 8, 2013
I agree with Scott - work with your agent to enhance the reach of your listing. Discuss your ideas with her/him and if they are filling a void then discuss adding them to the marketing plan.

The best way to reach agents is the MLS - agents are hungry to do business, and if they have buyers interested in a property like yours they will come, assuming it is priced properly. So that brings me to the next suggestion - if showings are low, your pricing should be reviewed.

The place to reach buyers is online, MLS, Trulia, Zillow, Realor.com and other sites.

Adding direct mail is not a bad idea - it will be more costly and probably won't have a huge impact, but if it will put your mind at ease that you are doing all you can, then discuss with your agent.

However leads are sourced, if you are listed, it is not your job to deal directly with, or assign those leads out to an agent.

It sounds to me as though a meeting with your agent is in order to discuss progress and strategy going forward.

Good luck and best,
Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service, Unsurpassed Results
Edith Karoli…, Agent, Winnetka, IL
Mon Jan 7, 2013
Not sure why you are so decided on wanting to do above and beyond, what the marketing and advertising dept. and the skills of your listing agent should be doing and if you hired a full service
real estate brokerage they will.

If you want to do anything in addition to what your listing agent will be doing, and must have told you
about..... there are very valuable things that YOU as the homeowner can do other then sending out
fliers or doubling up on advertising your listing agent already intends to do in a very professional manner and to produce actual results.

But sit down with your listing agent and ASK what you can do to help....

I have usually a lot of suggestions to my clients so take the advice of your listing agent he or she
are the experienced professionals, listen to their advice!

I always tell my Sellers, prepare your home well (I give them a long list of things they can do)
like staging the home right, moving around furniture or removing some, removing decorative items,
may be paint a wall here and there in up to date darker tones, may be remove out of fashion
curtains, replace with blinds, may be your home needs to refinish the hardwood flooring, or put in new carpeting.... How does the curb appeal of your home encourage buyers to want to see your home? If it does not scream "I have to see this home inside" then you must do something about it, sometimes it is just additional or changed landscaping, sometimes it requires painting the front door in an inviting and complimentary color, if you do not have flood lights against the home, to show it in exciting light at night, may be that is what you need to do. I my list can go on and on.
So before you attempt anything, that will not work, do the things and I mean the recommendations of your personal listing agent, before coming up with your own ideas.

I am glad you want to do whatever it takes to help sell your home faster or at a better price, so
discuss it with your listing agent FIRST!

Good Luck to you

Sincerely yours,
Edith YourRealtor4Life & Chicago, North Shore & Northern Illinois Expert
Working always in the very BEST interest of her clients, Buyers, Sellers and
Investors alike....And always with a SMILE :)

Covering for @Properties Chicago & suburbs, and with her trusted Partner
Agents US & world wide properties. French, German, some Spanish &more EdithSellsHomes@atproperties.com or EdithSellsHomes@gmail.com
Check out my website at http://tinyurl.com/YourRealtor4Life
Get to know me! Learn about my experience, expertise, services! Read letters
of recommendation! Sign up to search for properties in my expanded service area.
HAVE THE MOST WONDERFUL DAY :)
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Mon Jan 7, 2013
Hi Gary,

Most listing agreements contain verbage that outlines the responsibilities of the seller, the agent, and the broker involved identified in the sales agreement. Consider reviewing it closely and having a conversation with your listing agent to find out the specifics of their personal and corporate marketing plan.

Passing out leads to various agents within or outside of your listing agency could be viewed as participating in the transaction at a level that is unacceptable. A conversation with the broker should clarify this as a possiblity.

Scott hit the nail on the head when he said you and your agent should be working on this project together...not individually!

Scott Godzyk, Agent, Manchester, NH
Mon Jan 7, 2013
You need to work with instead of against your listing agent. You are the 1 in 1000 sellers who will complete these tasks over and above your listing agent. First thing giving leads to any other agent but your listing agent could hurt your sale more than help it. Choosing an agent who is overly aggressive is better than having you repeating things they may be doing. Dorect mail sets a wider net and does not specifically grab teh attention of the 1 person who may see your home and buy it. You would need a massive mailing to see see any results. Your money and time is better spent advertising your listing where people already looking for homes are looking, local papers and yes internet. By paying to feature your home and put it forst when searches come up. I think you need to start by sitting with your listing agent and asking what and where they will market and then complement it, dont repeat it and dont work against them.