our basement home has an active fan removing the radon. Will have the system affect price and potential buyers being put off.?

Asked by askpc44, Cary, NC Wed Apr 3, 2013

Answers

8
Spirit Messi…, Agent, Tucson, AZ
Sat Apr 6, 2013
At least you have a system in place. You want to always disclose any and all material facts as a seller and some buyers can be turned off by __________ (fill in the blank). That would not bother a lot of buyers I have worked with over the years. Opinions vary, but I would not worry about it.

Best of luck.

Spirit
Christopher…, Agent, Tarrytown, NY
Sat Apr 6, 2013
I just sold a home with a radon mitigation system in place. Many look at it as a positive if it works properly. I feel with proper education a buyer shouldn't be scared of anything. Typically the fear comes from being in the dark.

Chris
Scott Godzyk, Agent, Manchester, NH
Sat Apr 6, 2013
I agree that is all in the experience, knowledge and how the agent shares that with the buyer, It may scare some buyers while others will be happy the fan is there.
Margaret Moo…, Agent, Chapel Hill, NC
Sat Apr 6, 2013
It will have a lot do do with the experience and knowledge of the agents showing the property. A working mitigation system can provide peace of mind for a buyer. According to the EPA the added protection can sometimes be a selling point. Having the system will ensure it will not have elevated radon levels.
Margaret Moore
Gail Ferri P…, Agent, Cary, NC
Thu Apr 4, 2013
It may have a slight affect on the price. However, if the testing now is within normal limits, selling your house will depend a lot more on the condition of the rest of your home. You need to make sure the home looks great, and is fully updated. You want the buyer who comes into the home to fall in love with the home, and then they will be able to overlook the fact that you have the additional air removal system. I'd love to help you out when you are ready to move.
Lynn Gardiner, Agent, Apex, NC
Wed Apr 3, 2013
Yo may have a problem with this and you may not . It will depend on your radon level and your agent . Call me. I am an excellent personal shopper for buyers for your property.Have a nice evening.
Matt Peedin, Agent, Cary, NC
Wed Apr 3, 2013
I think it depends on the buyer. But, from my experience, most buyers are OK with an issue like this as long as they know it is resolved. Ultimately, it's about a low radon level for most buyers.
Paul Folmsbee, Agent, Cary, NC
Wed Apr 3, 2013
There is the possibility that this may "un-nerve" a small percentage of potential buyers. On the positive side, it demonstrates that when you become aware of a problem, you address it. Another plus: The number of buyers who will "back away" is much smaller than if this were discovered during a home inspection.

Certainly, the existence of the system should be disclosed. Meanwhile, if the amount of electricity being used is insignificant, don't be shy about pointing out this fact. Actually, you could demonstrate it by showing prospects the electric bills for the past year.

My advice: If a potential buyer is "put off" by the Radon situation, smile and let them go. They'd probably find a half-dozen OTHER things to grumble about, also. [Grin.]