my neighbor is trying to hide a major mold problem by selling his home.. I dont believe this is right..who do I report it to?

Asked by Mbr1979, 31024 Mon Nov 28, 2011

Answers

5
Lee Stone, Agent, Greensboro, GA
Mon Nov 28, 2011
Selling one's home to "hide a major mold problem" is an interesting solution in this day and age, with a major sensitivity on the part of the public to any mold issues, and an equally hostile climate toward deliberate misrepresentation. In either case, the unsuspecting public has the law on its side in pursuing a claim well after closing.

Chances are the problem, if it exists, will be obvious to potential buyers. If your neighbor is using a Realtor to market his home, the agent will be even more vigilant in checking out any issues that influence the home's marketability. In other words, the problem may solve itself.

As far as I know, the Putnam County Board of Health has no mechanism in place to monitor environmental issues that do not affect the public in general...in other words, that are contained totally within a private residence. And, lastly, if you are mistaken, you could have some legal consequences in broadcasting misinformation. Your best option is to talk to whatever agent he is using and share your suspicions.

Hope that helps, and I applaud your outrage.
Judy Sanders, Agent, Eatonton, GA
Wed Feb 20, 2013
When I see a neighbor that lives close to a house I have listed or a property I have a buyer for, I always ask if there is anything about the house I should know.

I have found the neighbors are happy to give their opinions and insight. As an agent, I appreciate all the information I can get to provide my clients. Be respectful and kind when sharing. The clients and agents can then check out the information.

It is always nice to find caring neighbors.
Hank Miller, Agent, Alpharetta, GA
Mon Nov 28, 2011
How do you know there's a mold issue? Unless you have iron clad evidence that it exists(ed) and that he's trying to cover it up you are putting yourself out there for possible legal action.

If you know with clear evidence that there's an issue and you feel obligated to mention it, the listing agent would be my first step - and that better be one that you are certain of.

Hank
, ,
Mon Nov 28, 2011
When a seller lists their home for sale, they will fill out a property disclosure statement as part of the listing. In it, they must answer a series of questions related to the condition of the property. Legal issues would/could arise if they knowingly mis-answered a quesiton and misled a buyer. The new buyer might then have a case to persue legal action against the seller. This is why REO properties are sold without a Property Disclosure Statement.

Rodney Mason, NMLS #151088
Sr Loan Officer
Prospect Mortgage
825 Juniper St NE, Atlanta, GA 30308
Office: (404) 591-2453
rodney.mason@prospectmtg.com
Apply Online at http://www.rodneymason.com
Licensed in Alabama & Georgia

Prospect Mortgage offers a full selection of mortage programs including:
Conventional | FHA | FHA 203K Renovation (Streamline & Consultant) | HomePath® |
HomePath® Renovation | VA | USDA | GA Dream | Jumbo Financing
Web Reference:  http://www.rodneymason.com
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Mon Nov 28, 2011
The mold problem should be disclosed by the owner to the potential buyer(s); and a buyer's home inspection would be revealing...