Home Selling in Ireland>Question Details

Mullaly, Both Buyer and Seller in Limerick, ME

my home was on the market for 4 mths,i had 2 different for sale signs up 1 in the cul de sac in the back

Asked by Mullaly, Limerick, ME Fri Apr 10, 2009

my home was on the market for 4 mths ,i had 2 differnt for sale signs up.i ended up selling to a friend who invests in houses but now 1 of the estate agents is demanding 1.3 percent ,even though i didnt sign anything or have any other dealings with them .if you could please advise me.thanks

Answers

4
Was it the real estate agents company whos sign was in the yard? If so, why did they put their sign in the yard without you signing anything? Have you asked them this?
If you didn’t sign anything, and they can not prove that they were the procuring cause of this sale, then they do not have much to go on. They WILL have to show that they procured the transaction in order to make you pay. Meaning they need to show that they were in contact with this buyer and they took this buyer to your house, etc. This is all under the assumption that you didn’t sign ANYTHING! So double check and make sure you didn’t sign anything at all!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Apr 10, 2009
I can't imagine a good reason for putting one of my signs in a yard without signing a contract first. If you signed documents with a real estate agent that put a sign in the yard then you may owe the money. Also many contract state that for a certain duration of time after the contract is terminated they may be owed a commission. If you can honestly say that you signed nothing with an agent that put a sign in the yard and that the sign was not the reason your friend knew you were trying to sell your home then you might not owe anything. The best of luck to you.
both agents put up a for sale sign,and whichever the buyer got in contact with was to be paid the 1 per cent,but a friend then came to me himself,now 1 is demanding the 1 percent of sale price,i never signed anything though,thanks for replying