my brother and I have a house. I want to sell.He doesn't.We're paying morgage.we dont live there. he doesn't work.Can I force him to?

Asked by abmolian, Yardville, NJ Tue Apr 10, 2012

sell in some way?

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Bob and Catherine Weber’s answer
Bob and Cath…, Agent, Hamilton Township, NJ
Wed Apr 11, 2012
I think this can only be answered by consulting with a lawyer. The type of deed and any agreements that you may have made with your brother will have some bearing on what options are available to you.
1 vote
Jeremiah Tan…, Agent, East Brunswick, NJ
Tue Apr 10, 2012
Hello Adela! In addition to the other comments about talking to an attorney, another option (before a lawsuit) is to see if he's willing to buy out your share (if he has cash reserves).
1 vote
OMG Jeremiah probably you don't remember us. we were trying to buy a house with you but we are stock with this situation. that happened around 2 years ago. Thank you to all you guys with your tips about this matter!!!!
Flag Tue May 8, 2012
Alain Picard, Agent, Puyallup, WA
Tue Apr 10, 2012
I would talk to an attorney but from what I've seen in this situation if one owner doesn't want to sell and the other does it will most likely have to be handled in court.
1 vote
Alan May, Agent, Evanston, IL
Tue Apr 10, 2012
This isn't really a question that any Realtor or real estate agent can answer for you. It may be time to talk to an attorney, presuming that your brother won't see the light of reason.
1 vote
Irina Karan, Agent, Aventura, FL
Wed Apr 25, 2012
You got to talk to an attorney re. the way you are holding title to your property.
Depending on that, the attorney can advise you what can/should be done.

As realtors, we are not supposed to give legal advise. We can advise on many things that have to do with real estate and the process of buying/selling though.

If you have a combined hardship and the property is under water (I just had a similar situation - it was an ex boyfriend who was without a job), you can sell this property via a short sale.

Hope this helps,

Irina Karan
Beachfront Realty, Inc.
0 votes
Brandi Hampt…, Agent, Princeton Junction, NJ
Mon Apr 23, 2012
Maybe he needs more information in order to be convinced. Consider meeting with a Realtor to give you an estimate of what you both will net at the closing table.

You can also tell him he can pay the monthly mortgage by him self if he doesn't want to consider selling. It's not fair to you unless he has a strong reason not to sell.
0 votes
Constantin M…, Agent, West Trenton, NJ
Tue Apr 10, 2012
I cannot answer to this question.You may call your lawyer or have a family meetinmg.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more