just finalized my divorce. mortgage still in my ex-wife's and I's name b/c our lender wouldn't allow us to refi. House is for sale.

Asked by sellfast7723, Zeeland, MI Wed Jul 27, 2011

Need to sell.Help!

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Ryan K Kruit…, Agent, Holland, MI
Tue Feb 24, 2015
What was the reason the lender said that you couldn't been taken off the mortgage or Refi? I have a great lender who would look into this for you! Ryan k
0 votes
Lisa Reeves, Agent, Tampa, FL
Thu Jul 28, 2011
Why couldn't you refinance? Not enough equity or not enough income. Depending on the divorce decree some lenders will accept the order showing you are no longer responsible and your exwifes income is adequate to cover the debt. However it is harder and if she defaults you are still technically liable. It is a delicate balance because both of you have to agree. If it wasn't amicable even the best realtor will have a tricky time keeping you both happy. Good luck and I hope it works out.
0 votes
Gerard Carney, Agent, Spring Hill, FL
Wed Jul 27, 2011
Get a Good Realtor to sell it for you, be up front on the numbers tyou need to hit to cover the financial side and what you and miss ex need to walk away with!
0 votes
Juanita Busk…, Agent, Wyoming, MI
Wed Jul 27, 2011
Is the house listed with a realtor or for sale by owner? Realtors have a lot more tools in their belt that a fsbo. Price is crucial. Must be very competitive.
Let your agent be a buffer between you and your x.
0 votes
ivonnerealtor, Agent, Bal Harbour, FL
Wed Jul 27, 2011
Have you considered renting the home until it sells? At least you can cover the mortgage or at least some of it..
0 votes
Jason A. Sch…, Agent, Allendale, MI
Wed Jul 27, 2011
A short sale may be your best option, from the info you have given here, contact me by email or phone and we will see what options are available for you,

Jason Schout
SOS properties
0 votes
Cicely Brook…, , Birmingham, MI
Wed Jul 27, 2011
First, trust and follow your Realtor's opinion as to price. Second, if you just want "out", offer your ex the first x$ of equity, then deal with the balance. Then your ex may be more agreeable to any offers you receive.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Home Selling in Zeeland Zip Codes

Email me when…

Learn more