is replacing laminate countertops that are in great shape and neutral in color with Granite worth the cost? house is in The Woodlands TX

Asked by pusateri_joyce, Spring, TX Thu Jan 10, 2013

Answers

6
Darby Grimme…, Agent, Shenandoah, TX
Sun May 26, 2013
Joyce,

I agree with the other agents that are saying you definitely have to weigh the cost vs. the return you will get on the investment of installing the granite. You would not want to over improve your property so that it is the top of the market in your area. However, with that said, granite is a wise move in upgrading your home in 77381. I, too, live in this are and my husband is a local residential appraiser.

Darby
Robert Rhoad…, Agent, Houston, TX
Thu Jan 10, 2013
Hi Joyce,
Adding granite countertops may help your home sell faster, but it probably won’t change the value in the short term. Determining home value and setting the appropriate price is actually far less subjective than one might think.

One of the best tools to use when trying to weigh the cost/benefit of any home upgrade is a comparative market analysis. A realtor gathers information about recently sold homes that are similar to yours in location, age, square footage and features, then uses this information, along with similar data about current “for sale” listings to determine the best price for your home.

I'd be happy to take a look at your home and offer suggestions or provide you with a comparative market analysis to help you decide whether installing granite would be worth the cost. Feel free to call or text me at (713) 515-3463 or visit my website at http://www.robertmrhoades.com.

Robert M. Rhoades
RE/MAX Vintage
Kathy Mittel…, Agent, Hixson, TN
Thu Jan 10, 2013
Laminate vs. granite definitely depends on your neighborhood and price of your home. I sold a home recently that other Realtors thought should have granite in it but the laminate was in perfect condition and a great color for the cabinets and the home sold quickly and the buyer was quite happy to leave the counter tops alone. Always be careful not to over improve your home for your neighborhood and then not be able to recoup some of the cost of the improvement.
Christa Renna, Agent, The Woodlands, TX
Thu Jan 10, 2013
Hi Joyce,
As a Realtor that is also a 77381 homeowner (i.e. older home that always needs something, ha! ha!), I weigh the cost vs. value of every upgrade before I do it. You obviously don't want to over-improve the home and not get your money back upon resale.
If you want to upgrade the counters and backsplash for your personal enjoyment because you're going to stay in the home a while longer, then do it. There are contractors that do this at a price that's more reasonable than you would expect and you will recoup that money later on. If you are doing it JUST to put the home on the market, then I don't think it's really necessary for your area.
Feel free to call, text or email me if you would like a referral for the contractor I used or if you have any other questions!
Christa Renna
832.326.6293
Christa@ChristaRenna.com
Nazario Truj…, Agent, Houston, TX
Thu Jan 10, 2013
Definetely Yes, I have a client in a particular subdivison between Tomball and The Woodlands, I showed her a market Analysis for her home, with laminate counter tops, and other homes in the area with laminate counter tops versus granite, the homes with granite sold for more than the homes with laminate and in a shorter time...

Nazario Trujillo
CDPE, REO/BPO Certified
TAHS, SFR, R. E. Consultant/Realtor
SIS Group, LLC
Fax: 281-907-0199
E-mail: naztrujillo@sbcglobal.net
Julie Young, Agent, The Woodlands, TX
Thu Jan 10, 2013
In most cases I would say yes. Buyers in certain price points are starting to expect granite. Builders are building homes with granite as a standard. Buyers can even search on HAR for homes with granite as one of the criteria. You should not update if the home is going to be marketed as a fixer upper or you are very close to just breaking even on the sale. In all cases you should have a Realtor look at your home and compare it to the competition before you spend any money. There may be some other areas that need updating as well. I would be happy to look at your home and give you some ideas that will give you the most bang for your buck!

Julie Young
Allison James Estates & Homes
281-734-4846
http://www.conroetxhousehunter.com