Vita Strakhm…,  in 07446

in NJ how much notice a tenant on a month-to month basis needs to be given if the house is being sold?

Asked by Vita Strakhman, 07446 Mon Oct 29, 2007

Answers

4
Theresa Gibs…, Agent, Roseland, NJ
Tue Nov 6, 2007
I am sorry Diane, I don't think you are correct, maybe some attorney's can chime in. Even though it is a month-to-month, it is still a lease, with a one month term. Even when a 1 year lease terminates, it reverts to a month-to-month. When a lease ends this does not give the landlord the right to evict the tenant without cause.

In the publication Tenant's Rights in New Jersey by Legal Services of New Jersey it states:
"Just because you have a month-to-month lease does not mean that the landlord can get you out at the end of any month. You don’t have to leave just because the term of your lease is up. The law contains special rules for evicting tenants."

Even if the landlord is selling the property and buyers want to more in, two calendar month's notice is required.

I am not an attorney and this is not legal advice, so check with an attorney on this. If I am wrong, I would love to be corrected on this.

This publication can be purchased as a hard copy or read online for free (see link)

Tracy
Seroche886, Home Buyer, New York, NY
Thu Dec 15, 2016
I cannot believe that REALTORS are answering the interpretation of the LAW.
Licenses should be revoked
Justin Kilis…, Agent, Morristown, NJ
Wed Nov 7, 2007
30 Days is REQUIRED even on Month-to-Month leases.
Web Reference:  http://www.isellroxbury.com
Diane Glander, Agent, Spring Lake, NJ
Mon Oct 29, 2007
30 days as per NJ Landlord Tenant Law is all the notice that's required for the landlord to ask the tenant to leave for any reason. That's why it;s called month-to -month
Web Reference:  http://www.dianeglander.com