Question Details

Prudence, Home Buyer in Libertyville, IL

how long does it take to get the results from a home inspection?

Asked by Prudence, Libertyville, IL Wed Aug 8, 2007

Answers

8
As the others stated, it depends. However, even low tech inspectors should be able to write up the inspection as they perform it. They do offer commentary as the go through the house.

The inspectors I recommend to my clients provide the written report immediately following the inspection and usually go over it while we are still at the property.

The buyer’s agent should be present for the inspection. He/she can give the buyer feedback immediately if the inspector does not. Additionally, no inspector is perfect. They sometimes overlook things. A second set of eyes can’t hurt.

The Seller’s agent should be onsite during the home inspection as well. He/she can provide the Seller with the Buyer’s reaction to any issues that may arise during the inspection.

Tips to the Seller – if possible, have an inspection done before the Buyer performs theirs and address what you can. This may save you a great deal of money later.

Hope this helps!

George Antonopoulos
Shoreline Property Specialist
Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage
Madison, CT
800.759.6936
Web Reference: http://www.shorelinere.com
My buyers typically receive their reports in writing at the end of the inspection. Very few inspectors need more time beyond the appointment to provide it, and if they do, it’s no longer than 24 hours or so. They are aware that there are deadlines to be met and time is of the essence.

Melissa Mancini, Realtor, CBR, GRI
Web Reference: http://MelissaBMancini.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 8, 2007
Verbal results are at the time or inspection. Depending on the inspection company you could have printed results on the spot if they have a portable printer or when they get back to the office. Most of the companies I use will usually email the buyers copy within 24 hours with a hard copy to follow.
Web Reference: http://pamwinterbauer.com
Pam Winterba…, Real Estate Pro in Danville, VA
This depends on the inspector. If you haven't already ordered an inspeciton, then you should ask that question when checking out the inspection companies. We recommend at least two inspection companies to our clients so that they can feel comfortable with their choice. We always are present at the inspection even if our client can't be. If you are using an agent see if he/she will do that. This way there is immediate feedback regardless of the report method. Some companies use a portable printer so that you will have the report instantly, others can email it or have it password protected on their website so that it is accessbile whenever you need it. I would recommend making sure you have it within 24 hours, as in many places, such as here in Arizona, you have a set time to have the inspection completed and request a response from the seller
Depends on if you are the one who paid for the report or the one waiting on the outcome of the results. As a buyer most reports are same day or next day. If you are the seller waiting on the report from a buyer and you know he had the inspection done on Thursday, the buyers may consult several contractors or other specialist to get an idea of what the defects are and what it will cost to have them repaired. They may take up their whole inspection period checking it out to make sure they know what is at stake and what they want to ask for.
Web Reference: http://carriecrowell.com
I guess every inspector is different, but I like the ones who type and present the report right there during the inspection. That way if there are questions we can discuss and see them in person. I've seen a few take notes and say they will send the report later, but I don't like this method. In our area we normally need the reports very quickly to get repairs if any addressed quickly.
Web Reference: http://www.teamlynn.com
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
The inspector I prefer gives a complete report with a CD of photographs immediately upon completion of the inspection. If you live in Washington State, the company is Cascade Inspections out of Marysville. I have worked with other inspectors and this is by far the best.
Some home inspectors will carry a portable printer so that they can actually print your report on site, but most in my area will take up to 24 hours to complete the report after the inspection is complete. The best way to get the results, though, is to be present for the inspection. That way, the inspector can summarize the findings in person and physically direct you to the problem areas. You might also get the extra benefit of a few opinions that might not necessarily find their way into the report (things that aren't actual deficiencies with the house). Good luck with your purchase!