how do you sell a house thru a private sale?

Asked by Bugdokktor, 10128 Tue Jul 3, 2012

Answers

6
Nissa Kochmer’s answer
Nissa Kochmer, Agent, New York, NY
Tue Jul 3, 2012
It's best to hire a local real estate attorney. If you would like some recommendations, let me know.

Nissa Kochmer
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Citi Habitats
347.344.8307
nkochmer@citi-habitats.com
Jenet Levy, Agent, New York, NY
Wed Jul 4, 2012
Bugdokktor,
I think the more important question, rather than "how do you sell a house through a private sale?" is "why would you want to be a For Sale by Owner.?" For sale by owner is the least effective, if at all effective means. 84% do not succeed, and eventually list with a qualified professional and have lost valuable time and money. Those that do succeed on the average get 20% less for their property. You need maximum exposure, an experienced, skilled agent who is devoted entirely to selling your property, a company with cutting edge marketing ability, and a professional negotiator. If you want to sell in the least amount of time for the most money, use a great agent with a track record who is affiliated with a major league agency with a great marketing dept. That way every buyer qualified to buy your property will know about it and will be dealing with someone whose sole purpose is to represent your best interests

Jenet Levy
Halstead Property, LLC
jlevy@halstead.com
212 381-4268
http://jenetlevy.halstead.com
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Tue Jul 3, 2012
If you choose not to work with an agent, do hire an attorney who specializes in real estate......
Donna Bradbu…, Agent, New York, NY
Sun Aug 26, 2012
Hello Buddokktor,

I tend to respect a seller's option to try to sell on their own. However, as with any sale of property I find it must be price correctly from the get go and ideally the seller should be an excellent negotiator along with having the ability to not let his/her emotions work against the offer on the table. From my experience For Sale By Owners struggle with getting their feelings and attachments to the property out of the way making it difficult for them to come to terms with a buyer. Donna Bradbury, Citi-Habitats, 400 East 84th Street, New York, NY 10028 212-434-5207 dbradbury@citi-habitats.com
First Last, , 90002
Wed Jul 4, 2012
These are sometimes called "pocket listings" when brokerages accept them. They may be used by celebrities or other persons who for one reason or another, want to keep their address out of the public eye.

As a seller you can always ask your real estate agent not to disclose the listing to other brokers or to the public at large. You can work out advertising guidelines that do not include the exact address because of your security or privacy concerns. For obvious reasons, this can make selling soon for the best possible price much more difficult.

If what you mean is to sell your property yourself, you can always try that and see how it goes. Most owners find out that doing so is not as easy or as cheap as it looks. I've attached a link from Realtor.com that explains a little bit why this is so. Here in NYC, advertising costs loom large too, and if you don't do this every day, you don't know what advertising is the most cost-effective.

Karla Harby
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Rutenberg Realty
New York, NY
kharby@crrnyc.com
212-688-1000x146
Joseph Hasti…, Agent, Bayside, NY
Tue Jul 3, 2012
Hello Bug Dr. It would seem that the gist of your question precludes you using a real estate professional to help with the sale and that you prefer no marketing. While I appreciate your question, you're asking for for information many brokers might refuse to offer up. The though being, if you want to do it on your own, go ahead and best of luck. There has to be more to your question. What is your need to sell? What do you need to accomplish and is there a time frame you have in mind to get the place sold? What did you do to help determine the selling price of the property?

Many brokers have customers that are looking for very specific properties. All we need to do is call them when a property is available. To preclude brokers from your concept may not be a great idea. Whatever you decide, I wish you all the best.