how do you record a quit claim in California?

Asked by Crsytal, Hesperia, CA Wed Apr 30, 2008

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Joan Patters…, Agent, Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Wed Apr 30, 2008
Hesperia is San Bernardino County and I am assuming that is where you will be doing a quit-claim deed. You can actually buy the form yourself and type it. Take it to the recorder's office and find out how much they charge to have it recorded. They can take a check right there at their office. It is pretty easy. You will have to type the exact legal description for the property, and make sure you put the APN on it (Assessor's Parcel Number). If you need any other help, feel free to email me at
2 votes
Daniel Jeung, , Woodinville, WA
Wed Apr 30, 2008
Your best and easiest way would be to contact a local title insurance company in the area which you live. They should have all of the appropriate paperwork for you to fill out. They should also be able to notarize the document and assist in filing it for you.

2 votes
Mack McCoy, Agent, Seattle, WA
Fri Nov 23, 2012
pvplr, it is essential that you consult with an attorney and an accountant before recording this deed.

For one thing, the transfer of real estate is a taxable event. For another thing, transferring title can trigger "due on sale" clauses of any underlying mortgages. It can also obligate you to satisfy (pay off) some types of liens against the property.

You should do this first thing Monday morning.

All the best,
0 votes
pvplr100, Home Seller, Hesperia, CA
Thu Nov 22, 2012
I have a quit-claim deed that was signed, witnessed and notetorized by the Grantor that was completed on May 16, 2001. The tranfer of property is to me as the Grantee. I need to sell the property to payfor the Grantors care. I have Power of Attorney.

My question is: the quit-claim was never recorded. Can I, at this date, go to the County Recorder in California and have it recorded?
0 votes
Theeasy, , California
Sun May 23, 2010
First you would need to complete a quit claim deed formated to the requirements of the California county where the property is located. Once the deed is completed you would record the deed at the county recorder's office where the property is located. There is generally a fee involved that is charged by the recorder's office for the recording of the quit claim deed. Best thing to do is to contact a legal professional familiar with your specific situation, even a title company can help you with this. Good Luck!
0 votes
Bill Schwent, Agent, Santa Fe, NM
Wed Jul 16, 2008
Be careful in doing a quit claim deed without legal advice. You may end up with a bigger problem than the one you think you are solving.
Web Reference:
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more