how do i list my house?

Asked by Nancy, 63124 Tue Apr 29, 2008

Answers

24
Ron and Debb…, Agent, Venice, FL
Tue Apr 29, 2008
LOOK FOR TOP PRODUCERS IN YOU AREA. INTERVIEW THEM AND CHOOSE WHO YOU FEEL FIRST OF ALL COMPATABLE WITH BECAUSE IN THIS MARKET YOU WILL BE HAVING A RELATIONSHIP WITH THEM. LOOK FOR THE AGENTS THAT WILL GIVE YOU THE MOST TOOLS TO MARKET YOUR HOME WITH . THE LOWER COMMISSION IS NOT ALWAYS THE WAY TO GO. IN THE LONG RUN IT MIGHT COST YOU MONEY. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.
Felicia Pete…, Agent, Granbury, TX
Tue Apr 29, 2008
First call 2-3 REALTORS to interview them about their respective marketing plans. Remember, you are hiring a REALTOR to market your home to prospective buyers. The person who lists your may not be the one who shows it the most or even brings you a Buyer. But they should be willing to interface with you and answer all of your questions regarding pricing, staging and marketeing the property.

Ask the prospects how often they will contact you with feedback from showings, where your home will be shown on the web, will they do a visual tour, and what rpint advertising will they place your home for exposure.

Felicia Peters
Broker Associate
Coldwell Banker United Realty Professionals
Dale Weir, Agent, Chesterfield, MO
Tue Apr 29, 2008
Overwhelmed yet? The biggest concern should be to list your home with the Realtor who is realistic, who will listen to your needs and concerns, who will be responsive to you, who will stay in touch with you (by email, phone, whatever works best for YOU, not the Realtor) and who has a good reputation with other sellers of similar properties. Yes, you want someone who is internet savvy, yes, you want someone who is great with marketing, yes you want someone who is proactive about getting your home sold and will think outside the box, but if they aren't on the same wavelength that you are on, you will be unhappy with them. Look for someone with a great reputation, but not necessarily someone who is so "big" that you will never see that person, only their assistant. Look for someone who will take the time to be there for YOU and while they may have a lot of other clients that they are working with so they may not always be there immediately when you call, they will return your calls and they will be there when you need them to be there. Look for someone whose office or system is set up so that other agents can schedule showings of your home 7 days a week from 9 am until at least 6 pm every single day (and not by internet send me an email and wait for me to get back with you, since they may not respond till the next day, while the showing agent is standing outside your door with a prospective buyer who wants to see your home NOW). Hope that helps.
Web Reference:  http://www.yourstlhome.com
Marcia Briner, , Pittsburgh, PA
Tue Apr 29, 2008
It is always best to be working with a REALTOR®. Interview up to three agents from competing firms. The Agent with the strongest internet offerings will provide you with the best exposure. 80% of all home searches begin with the public exploring the internet. Commission is negotiatable. You will get what you pay for when it comes to exposure. Property exposure SELLS HOMES!
Barbara Lee, Agent, Millville, NJ
Tue Apr 29, 2008
The advice to this question applies no matter what part of the country you are in. First ask friends and neighbors. If they refer relatives who are Realtors, be sure to interview them carefully, along with 2 or 3 others. If you are not connected to the community, and feel you have noone to ask, look at the real estate section of the paper or homes guide. You can determine which agents are experienced by finding the ones with designations beside their names, such as GRI, Broker, CSR, etc. When you interview them, ask if they attend showings, how often they will advertise your home & their advertising sources. Then , do not hesitate to ask for references from recent clients. If you do your homework in finding the right Realtor, your home selling experience should be a pleasant one.
Suzie Wells, Agent, Clayton, MO
Wed May 7, 2014
I would recommend contacting a couple seasoned agents that you know, or perhaps agents that have worked with a friend or family member. Most seasoned agents, like myself, will admit that their success in this business has resulted from referrals and repeat customers, which is the greatest compliment an agent can receive. One's client base does not grow in numbers without hard work on the agent's part, as well as attention to detail in all facets of the transition, from contract negotiations to closing. So for this reason, I recommend starting with someone that can attest to the agent's assertiveness and success. Once you have developed a familiarity and comfortableness with an agent, the agent will educate you on the process going forward, with goals of making the transition as smooth as possible for you. Good luck to you in finding the perfect agent!
Meg Coghlan, Agent, Saint Louis, MO
Tue Jan 14, 2014
When considering listing your property for sale, I suggest keeping the following in mind. What sells a house is a combination of price, marketing, condition and location. None of us can control everything, so those things we can control, we need to. You cannot control location, but your setting and the condition of the house are within your control, so take an inventory of what you can do to improve the condition and appearance of your home and grounds. Price is market driven and so an careful analysis of the market will guide you and your Realtor to make that all important decision of where to price the house. Lastly, marketing is the job of the Realtor. I suggest finding an experienced Realtor who is with a firm that has the technological capability to showcase your house. No longer can the small independent Broker handle the marketing of today. A final note! Only choose a Realtor who will hire a professional photographer to use for marketing your property.
Tonja Neal, Agent, Saint Louis, MO
Tue Jan 22, 2013
Hi Nancy:

We would be happy to list your home for you. Give me a call at Wood Brothers Realty.

Tonja
John Mathews, Agent, Saint Louis, MO
Sat Jan 19, 2013
Dear Nancy,

I suggest that you speak with no fewer than three (3) realtors. I suggest that you ask questions about the potential realtors comfort level with selling a home in Ladue. You should take a look at the marketing plans for each realtor VERY carefully.

If you get the chance please take a look at our web-site. It is just one of many tools that I will use position your home to be sold at the best price in the least amount of time...

I wish you much luck in your efforts to sell your home...

My best,

John Mathews
http://johnhmathews.com
Tracy Whitwo…, Agent, Saint Louis, MO
Wed Jan 2, 2013
Nancy,

Looks like you've gotten some great advice. Just remember, the agent who agrees to list your house for the highest price may be "buying" your listing. A good agent will not always tell you what you wish to hear, but provide market realities and attendant strategies.

It's crucial that an agent be accessible and manage your expectations along the way.
Tonja Neal, Agent, Saint Louis, MO
Mon Jul 16, 2012
There are a couple of ways to do this. You can either list it as for sale by owner or contact a qualified professional to help make the process a little smoother by producing truly qualified buyers. Contact me, 314-704-5424
Monica Brewer, Agent, Saint Louis, MO
Mon May 28, 2012
The process of buying or selling a home should not be taken lightly. For many it is one of the largest investments one will make and it should be handled with the utmost competence.

Interview three different agents to decide whom you prefer to sell your house.

You need a knowledgeable and aggressive REALTOR®, working full-time (while experience is no guarantee of skill, real estate, like many other professions, is mostly learned on the job), with a heavy internet presence (92% of buyers start shopping on the internet before they even speak with an agent),

It is also important to evaluate the marketing levels and exposure the agent can provide (Look for someone who has aggressive, innovative approaches, not just someone who is going to put a sign in the yard and hope for the best).

Will they represent you exclusively or both the buyer and the seller in the transaction? (While it is legal to represent both parties in a transaction, it is important to understand where the practitioner's obligations lie. It is possible to insist the practitioner represents you exclusively).

What type of support and supervision does their brokerage provide? (Having resources, such as in-house support staff, access to a real estate attorney or assistance with technology can help a real estate professional sell your home).
Dale Weir, Agent, Chesterfield, MO
Sun May 4, 2008
Have we given you enough information about listing your home yet? Typically, an individual will interview 1-3 Realtors, based on their reputations, recommendations from friends and family, and what they have heard about them in boards like this one. If they don't find one that they like in the first set of interviews, they will hold a second round of interviews. Keep in mind that you are looking for someone who is a good match for you, who will communicate well with you, who will market your home to the right demographic and who will be there for you when you need them to be there. Don't focus on price point, since YOU set the price, not the agent, (we just make informed recommendations) but many agents will tell you a high price just to get you to list with them, hoping that if it doesn't sell, they can get you to lower your price later till it does. Get one who knows the market area and who will research the stats for you that are the most applicable for your home (as Cait was pointing out, if 146 homes sell in your area in a year, thats an absorption rate of 12.2 /month. If there are 89 currently on the market, then you have a 7.3 month supply of homes on the market now and more will be coming on the market as school ends. It's NOT just a matter of price, you have to be better than those homes. You have to get them into your home and WOW them and get them not to want to leave. Price is only one part of that equation. A good realtor will go through your home with you and take the time to point out the little things (and sometimes big things) that need to be done to get your home sold for a) more money and b) faster (which can equate to more money since it will equate to fewer mortgage payments. Sometimes it takes staging. Sometimes it takes paint. sometimes a new carpet, sometimes cleaning a carpet, sometimes ripping it out to expose hardwood floors underneath. If there is anything that needs to be fixed, fix it. Better to fix it now when you are in control then to have a buyer request it in a building inspection negotiation when they want it done by a licensed contractor which will cost you more than the handyman who could have fixed it up front (and it would have gotten the home sold faster because it would have shown better). Consider getting municipal and building inspections done in advance to show the buyers that you have already had those done and taken care of the issues so the home is truly ready for them. In this market, things like that can make a difference. I typically take a couple hours going through a home with my sellers determining what they need to do after they list with me. We also go visit the competition to check them out and see what it is that we need to be better than. It works.
Cait Donohue, Agent, Frontenac, MO
Sun May 4, 2008
Nancy,
As of today, there are 89 homes for sale in your zip code. In the last month 10 homes in your zip code have sold,. the sale prices ranged from $370,000 to $1,670,000. The days on market for these homes was 49 days to over a year. In the last year 146 homes have sold in your area. You need to price your home well, to sell it. Here are some of the factors an agent will help you with when you are pricing your home to sell.
Consider Comparables.
What have other homes in your neighborhood sold for recently?
How do they compare to yours in terms of size, upkeep, and amenities?
Consider Competition.
How many other homes are for sale in your area? In your case it is 89.
Are you competing against new homes? Yes, you would be.
Consider Your Contingencies.
Do you have special concerns that would affect the price you will receive?
For example, do you want to move in three months?
Be Accurate.
Studies show that homes priced more than 3% over the correct price will
take longer to sell.
Know what You’ll Take.
It’s critical to know what price you will accept before beginning a negotiation with a Buyer.
I live in your area so I am familiar with the market you need to sell in.
If you would like me to assist you, please contact me at mdonohue@cbgundaker.com
I would be happy to put together a presentation for you.
Cait Donohue and heres the alphabet ...
GRI,RRES,e-PRO and I am working on my CRS
Web Reference:  http://www.CaitDonohue.com
Trisha Lee, Agent, Columbia, MO
Wed Apr 30, 2008
Nancy -
I agree with Jeannine and would not choose my agent by position as some of the top producers will take your listing and you'll never see them again. Their minions will take over and may or may not do the kind of job you want but you won't get personalized service. I would interview 3 agents, tell them you're interviewing 3 and ask to see a complete formal listing presentation. If they're a professional full time agent they will have one.

Look for agents with alphabet letters behind their names. Those designations show they have put time and money into their education which is strictly pointed towards doing a better job for you. Some of the more common are:
ABR - Accredited Buyers Representative
GRI - Graduate REALTORS Institute (12 segments/12 tests-most comprehensive information)
CRS-Certified Residential Specialist (only 7% of the REALTORS have this designation - you can google Certified Residential Specialist for the national web site and look for those in your area that have this)
CRB-Certified Residential Broker
e-PRO - Internet Specialist
and the list goes on. You can go to REALTOR.org and read all about these if you want to know more about the ones under the umbrella of the National Association of REALTORS.

I have a list of questions you should ask a REALTOR when you interview them (with my personal answers so you get a feel for what they should say back) and I will be more than happy to email them to you to use.

In this day you need someone really internet savvy to get you out where people are looking. The statistics of how much people look on line are staggering and you need to be where they're looking.

If you want the list email me at
TrishaLee@Remax.net.
Hope this helps.
Trisha Lee REMAX Boone Realty, Columbia, MO
Web Reference:  http://www.TalkToTrisha.com
Jeannine Dyer, Agent, Middleburg Heights, OH
Tue Apr 29, 2008
I would never select an agent by position. I would select an agent that: I was comfortable with, and could communication well with. Remember when it comes to selling- you are ultimately in control. Since it is your home, the final say is always yours. Most top producing agents are not there by hard work, they have gotten there by help from what I call hand outs. Some agents who will work hard have never made it to the top and will never make it to the top, yet they will have time for you, they will give you better service, and you will not just become a number. Of course, you want someone with experience,your determining factor should be, who you are most comfortable with and someone full time that sells. Call me I would love to meet with you.
Jim Hurley, Agent, St Louis, MO
Tue Apr 29, 2008
Hi Nancy,

Listing your home is not a difficult process. As recommended you should do a little research. You are looking for an agent not necessarily a company. Company support is vital but your agent will providing the services and expertise to not just list your home but to get it sold in a highly competitive market. An experienced agent will provide you with invaluable information, help you stage, provide details of marketing, help you decide on the proper pricing and more. If you would like to discuss this further please don't hesitate to contact me.
Elayna Sulli…, , Longview, TX
Tue Apr 29, 2008
First, ask your friends and family if they might recommend an agent to you. Then set an appointment with that agent to come to your home. Let them tell you what they can do to best market your home. How will they set the price? Also, does their broker have good standing in the communtiy. Lastly, do you feel a good connection with the agent?
Terry Willis, Agent, O Fallon, MO
Tue Apr 29, 2008
I agree with Jim and especially would like to emphasize that online presence is a must. Please check out my web site and go to the buyer/seller center - here you will find useful information on how to select a Realtor and suggested questions to ask. If I can be of help with any questions or concerns you may have, or the listing process, please don't hesitate to ask.
Web Reference:  http://www.TerryWillis.net
Lane Mccullo…, , San Antonio, TX
Tue Apr 29, 2008
Nancy,

If you want to try ro sell it yourself put a sign in your yard, an ad in the paper and hold your breath waiting for the phone to ring. If you want to use the MLS and hundreds of agents with all the buyers to know about your house you need a Realtor. Find a Realtor in your area and sit back and let them earn their money working for you. It will cost you less in the long run and it will sell in a fraction of the time as compared to you doing it yourself.
Jim Bellville, Agent, Brattleboro, VT
Tue Apr 29, 2008
It really depends on what you are looking to do, where you are, and what you need.
If you have a 2 bedroom bungalow or a multi-million dollar estate, you are probably looking for 2 different real estate agents. Of course, that depends on your area. In my area, it is not unusual for an agent to be working with both foreclosure properties and high end "Executive Retreats". At the very least, you should do a bit of looking online first to see if a particular agent in your area seems to fit your needs to a "T".
Things to remember:
1. Online is key. If your agent doesn't have a strong web presence, you are going to need a lot more luck and have a much smaller pool of potential buyers.
2. Experience counts, but too much is as bad as not enough. If an agent isn't flexible enough to deal with a changing market, you may be missing important marketing opportunities.
3. Find an agent that you like and trust. This is someone that is going to be working with you in something that can be very emotional and can get serious. If you get the feeling that they are just telling you what you want to hear, you may not be getting the truth about what you really need to do to have a successful sale of your house.

I hope that helps. There are a lot of sites out there that have a lot of answers. Most use the same answers. Google "Questions to ask a Realtor" and you will get a lot of ideas for the interview process. Go with your gut instinct about the agent and don't be afraid to give them feedback on how they are doing. If have a need that they are not meeting, bring it to their attention. One thing I learned a long time ago is that no one goes out in the morning thinking that they want to do a bad job that day.
Web Reference:  http://www.JimVTRE.com
Michelle Cow…, Agent, Lincoln, CA
Tue Apr 29, 2008
First ask a friend if they know of a good agent and then I suggest that you interview that person alone with two other agents who work your neighborhood or are top producers in the community. Be prepared to listen to their advice in getting your home ready for market, especially staging it to obtain a faster sale at a higher price.
Lo, Home Buyer, 98003
Tue Apr 29, 2008
You will need to contact a realtor in your area and set up an appointment for them to view your home. The initial visit doesn't take long, at that time they are only trying to see what your house looks like and what type of improvements you may have done. They are also checking out the neighborhood. After that you will need to set up another appointment at which time they can go into to detail as to the price of your house what you may need to do to get it ready for the market and their marketing strategy. Then it is just a matter of signing a listing contract and the agent will put everything into place.
Web Reference:  http://joycelowe-realtor.com
Jennifer Wil…, Agent, Houston, TX
Tue Apr 29, 2008
Nancy if you are thinking of selling you home you can go to http://www.cbunited.com to see if we have an office near you. There are great real-estate companys out there. Just a little fyi the buyer in todays market would like a realtor who does market by the way of the internet. 86% buyers shop the internet before they ever call a realtor. I hope this will help you.
Web Reference:  http://www.cbunited.com