how do I remove my husband from the deed if I am the sole payer and name on the mortgage. Is he entitled to?

Asked by Mary, 06790 Sat Feb 23, 2008

any part of the home. I purchased the home in prior to our marriage.

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


John the Bru…, Home Buyer, Connecticut
Fri Mar 7, 2008
You DO need to contact an attorney and have him/her file a quit claim deed. I've attached the Wikipedia entry on quit claim deeds below, it's a good read. Your husband will have to be a party to this process.

The thing you should keep in mind is that if you qualified for your present financing using your husband's income (jointly or severely) you'll need to refinance as part of the quit claim. At that time, you'll need to qualify for the refinancing with your income alone.
1 vote
, ,
Sun Apr 25, 2010
Dan, please watch for when these questions are posted. Again I started to type an answer then checked myself, and deleted it. I certainly hope that Mary has gotten the proper advice by now. Which yours, by the way, really was not.
0 votes
Dan Grammati…, Agent, Torrington, CT
Sun Apr 25, 2010
He can quit claim his ownership tp you, that's easy, contact your attorney. But he won't get off the mortgage that is, the lender probably won't let him off for the asking, You'll have to refinance to get him off. Contact your attorney
0 votes
Fred, Home Buyer, New York, NY
Mon Apr 21, 2008
actually the correct answer is if you are asking this question on Trulia, you've got much bigger issues than control of title. you got it backwards - you're supposed to put his name on the mortgage and not on the deed....
0 votes
Brion, Both Buyer And Seller, Darien, CT
Sat Mar 8, 2008
The realtor kindly declines from answering and provides caution, to divert the fact that she, and other in her profession have no intrinsic expertise. Realtors are an anachronism of the past that are waiting to be exhibits in museums.

The first answer is correct.
Web Reference:
0 votes
Aileen-Manha…, , New York, NY
Sat Feb 23, 2008

You're asking legal questions and you should seek the advice of an attorney in your community. RE Pros cannot and should not give you legal advice. Cautious attorneys - that I know - would not give you legal advice without getting all the facts from you.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more