how do I cancel my house for sale?

Asked by Mcmd12054, Delmar, NY Tue Sep 13, 2011

I want to cancel my listing

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Dan Tabit, Agent, Issaquah, WA
Tue Sep 13, 2011
It's a practical impossibility to sell a house against the owners will. Now your reasons for canceling will determine how cooperative your agent will be. If you have been approached by another agent who has promised you something, I wouldn't recommend you cancel. First, that is unethical and shouldn't happen. Next, if they will treat our profession that way, how will they treat you.
If your circumstances have changed and you intend to stay, discuss it with your agent and see what they say.
As an agent, we incur our expenses up front when listing a property. Some of these are hard financial costs, others are significant investments of our time. Please consider this in your decision to cancel.
If your agent has acted inappropriately or unethically, you should be clear to cancel, but may want to discuss it with the agents broker.
1 vote
Peter Mckee, Agent, Albany, GA
Wed Mar 28, 2012
If you are in Delmar, your house should be listed in the Capital Region Multiple Listing Service. A homeowner, at least in this MLS, may withdraw a listing from the MLS by completing a conditional or unconditional withdrawal form and submitting it to the MLS. Either you or the agent/broker can submit the form to the MLS. Your agent or broker should provide you with this form if you ask. If for some reason the agent/broker is reluctant to do that, you can contact the listing service and they will provide you with the form. Once completed and signed, you can return it to the MLS and they will remove the listing. I presume this process is the same for other listing services.
0 votes
Jennifer Bla…, Agent, Basking Ridge, NJ
Wed Sep 14, 2011
If you are not planning to sell the house your agent can simply take it off the market and you can let the listing contract expire. This option precludes you from selling the house without a commission to the realtor. If you are unhappy with the service and want to switch companies then you need an unconditional withdrawal which only the broker can authorize - and is not required to do so.
0 votes
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Wed Sep 14, 2011
If you are listed with an agent, contact his/her broker owner, and or office manager; ask to be released from the contract, oftentimes it's the broker owner, and or office manager, not necessarily the agent, that grant such have a discussion with your agent as well...
0 votes
Jeanne Feeni…, Agent, Basking Ridge, NJ
Wed Sep 14, 2011
You need an unconditional release from the broker. Talk with them and explain your rationale. Be sure that you get an unconditional release or you will be bound by the listing terms until the expiry.

Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service
Web Reference:
0 votes
Shanna Rogers, Agent, Murrieta, CA
Wed Sep 14, 2011
Hi Mcmd12054,

Let your Realtor know you no longer want to sell and ask for a cancellation of listing agreement. All parties have to sign (sellers and Real Estate Broker).

Shanna Rogers
SR Realty
0 votes
Maryanne Dor…, , Myrtle Beach, SC
Tue Sep 13, 2011
The most important question is why do you want to cancel? If you have not been receiving the service you were promised or the agent has done something not correct than you should be able to speak with the agent and explain why you would like to be released from the listing agreement. If you are not successful with the agent you can contact their broker-in-charge. I wish you much luck.
0 votes
Corey Landy, Agent, Albany, NY
Tue Sep 13, 2011
Corey Landy here, Realtor specializing in Residential Sales, Purchaser Represention, Foreclosures & HUD Homes. To ans your question: if you have signed a listing agreement w/ a agent, it is a formal contract. That is the incentive for agents. Its a means for them to assure you will give them the time needed to sell the property, not work w/ other agents to sell your home among other things. There will be no incentive for he/she to let you out prematurely. But they just may to safeguard their reputation, salvage their relationship w/ you, etc. You'll need to ask them for a release. They will give you the form to sign. Best wishes.. Corey Landy: (518) 250-9339.
Web Reference:
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more