does a quit claim deed need to be recorded?

Asked by Gladys, Ingleside, IL Tue Apr 15, 2008

what if the real estate deed is not recorded after a years, is it still valid

Answers

3
Ranj Mohip, Other Pro, Chicago, IL
Sat May 28, 2011
An unrecorded deed is valid, but it needs to be recorded to be recognized.

Attorney Ranj Mohip is a Chicago real estate attorney. The information in this answer is general information and is not intended as legal advice. Further, answering this question or otherwise contributing as a member of Trulia.com does not create an attorney-client relationship. Remember, consult the best real estate attorney in Chicago or in your respective area.
John Walin, Agent, Libertyville, IL
Tue Jun 28, 2011
Just record the deed at the county, they can tell you if you need a lawyer to do or if it is appropriate for you to submit as is for a small fee.
Keith Sorem, Agent, Glendale, CA
Tue Apr 15, 2008
Gladys,
I suggest you discuss your question with a real estate attorney. You are asking a question regarding "vesting", or how people hold title to property. This question has serious legal consequences, and each locality has differing customs.

I will tell that I have been told by title people that a quitclaim can cause title insurance problems (meaning to say "who has clear title to a property".