do i need to disclosure that my kitchen sink pipe broke and flooded my kitchen? i had insurance remove water & professional dry flooring.

Asked by Jersey, Bedminster, NJ Tue May 29, 2012

pipe broke from cold weather and was taken care of right away.

Answers

6
Jeanne Feeni…, Agent, Basking Ridge, NJ
Wed May 30, 2012
I would recommend disclosing it along with the fact that you dealt with the issue promptly and with professional help. The inspector will see that something was done and draw the buyers' attention to it. And in this market, something undisclosed may morph into some suspicion of bigger issues...which would be an unfortunate and entirely unnecessary outcome.

Things happen, you dealt with it in the right way. My vote - disclose it along with what you did to cure the problem.

Good luck to you,
Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service, Unsurpassed Results
Philip Braker, Home Seller, Las Cruces, NM
Tue May 29, 2012
If it has been professionally repaired, you don't have to disclose but the chances are that the new homeowners will know something was done. When they go to get insurance on the home, the property will show that there was a claim on the home. I'm sure at that time they will ask.

At that point, they cannot use that to cancel the contract but it may give them a reason to find ways to make your life miserable through and after the closing.
Marsha Bowen…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Tue May 29, 2012
It can't hurt to disclose this information, however you did repair the issue so you should include that information in your disclosure as well. Since it was weather related, you might want to have the pipe wrapped to avoid more issues in the future.

Good luck !
Wayne Odenbr…, Agent, Mountain Lakes, NJ
Tue May 29, 2012
Yes. There is no downside to being open and honest.
If the Buyer discovers it by other means, they will not trust you going forward.

And besides, it was all repaired, so why would they view it as a problem?
Edith Karoli…, Agent, Winnetka, IL
Tue May 29, 2012
If in doubt disclose, that is pretty much the best rule.....

The best way to look at it is, if you were the buyer, would you want to know that this has happened
and why it happened but that it was professional repaired, just in case another winter comes along
so that YOU now the buyer will be prepared and take precautions...

But legally it is not anymore a problem and it is not a recurring problem you do not HAVE to disclose it,
a good inspector may still see signs that something had happened at one point.....

Good luck to you...
EdithSellsHomes@gmail.com
@Properties Northshore, 30 Green Bay Rd, Winnetka/ Illinois 60093
covering the city of Chicago, all N and NW subs and the fine homes of the Northshore
Tim Moore, Agent, Kitty Hawk, NC
Tue May 29, 2012
Issues that are repaired are not something you have to disclose. If someone were to ask I would tell the truth but things that are repaired by the proper people are not material facts. If your basement floods every time it rains, yes, if you had it fixed then no. On the property disclosure if it asks have you ever had a plumbing problem you should not answer NO.