can two homes share a septic system and is the shared septic recorded on the deed when selling?

Asked by Susie, Longview, WA Wed Nov 2, 2011

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Millerplantenet’s answer
Millerplante…, , Orlando, FL
Wed Nov 2, 2011
Use the All-Natural Advanced Formula Septic-Helper 2000 and the All-Natural Enza Washing Machine Ball. The Septic System Treatment has the 8 natural bacteria and enzymes that liquefy the waste in the tank AND out in the drain field. Both for less than $4 per month.

New 2011 EPA Regulations say that even a slow drain in your leach field or elevated Nitrate levels could require replacement of your entire system for $10,000 to $80,000 or connect to the city sewer system.

600+ Septic, Well and Water News Stories - or Post your Septic, Plumbing or Home Improvement company on our facebook at

UN Agenda 21, Ch. 18 -
US Clean Water Act -
EPA TMDL (Nitrate Limits for Water Supplies) -
EPA Mandated Inspections -
0 votes
Tacos, Home Buyer, Onalaska, WI
Thu Apr 20, 2017
I work as your Cowlitz County Health Dept regulator. You should come in and talk to us about this.
0 votes
Denis Greate…, Agent, Monona, WI
Wed Nov 2, 2011

Wayne is correct. There can be a shared septic system. This typically came up on a family farm, where one of the children build a house on family hand and had a joint septic system in place. Often, this was done without any formal agreement, because after all it was between family.

The problems started to arise when one or both parties decided to sell part of the property. Then either a formal agreement needed to be put into place spelling out how the system was to be maintained and who was responsible.

If a property was sold without a joint system in place, it is possible that the property with the septic system physically on their land could deny the other property access to it. Forcing the 2nd property to install an independent septic.

While not exactly common place, it is not unheard of especially in Western Wisconsin.

In regards to the 2nd part of your question is it recorded; that depends on if an agreement is in place. If a legally binding agreement is in place it should be on file with the county. If not, it may not be as simple. Your best bet would be to call the county land/zoning office to see what is currently on file.
0 votes
hello my name is tammara schlessman, me and my husband bought a mobilhome on half a acre, it has another home in the back, it was vacant from 2006 to 2008, the owners of the home in the back share the system which on our part of the land, we are having problems with them, not paying for maintenance that is done for the shared system can I legally cap it off since the tank and pump,and aerator is on our part of the land, my email address is,, please let me know ASAP, they have a attorney who said we can't since they say it is on there deed, we have the same deed and it does not say anything about having a shared system on it,
Flag Mon Dec 2, 2013
Wayne Stockw…, Agent, Black River Falls, WI
Wed Nov 2, 2011
Physically, yes they can. If the home is in zip 54650 (Onalaska, Wi.) I would call a title company such as DependableTitle 608-786-0979 and ask them to research the situation.
0 votes
J, Agent, Greensboro, NC
Wed Nov 2, 2011
Great question! As stated below it will vary from state to state. Historically, you may run into issues when selling the property if anything is being shared between two or more properties and it is not in writing. You are thinking ahead and probably asking yourself what issues would arise should something go wrong with the shared system and who would be responsible for costs associated with repairs, etc. I would guess a potentially new home owner will ask the same question. Good luck to you!
0 votes
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Wed Nov 2, 2011

This is a most interesting question.....

Are you thinking of creating this scenario or purchasing property with this existing condition? With permit requirements, inspections, county regulations, I would think this to be a most improbable situation.

But then....I've been wrong before!

Your best resource for accurate information will likely be your county/city code enforcement office.

Good luck,

0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more