can seller's agent tell a buyer that no offers have been made on the house?

Asked by Yinyanginga, Rochester, NY Wed Jul 1, 2009

I overheard my seller's agent tell a buyer and his realator that had just gone through my house that there had not been any offers made on it to date. I am concerned that this could effect an offer that this buyer may make, or any other buyer that his realator might now bring to my home in the future.

Answers

5
G. Harlan Fu…, Agent, Pittsford, NY
Wed Jul 1, 2009
A Seller's Agent should answer any questions honestly when asked by a Buyer, or Buyer's Agent. An exception to answering this specific question would be if you had directed your agent not to reply to the question. Not answering the quesiton at all may raise more eybrows then just replying to it truthfully.

We are in a market cycle right now in Rochester where some Buyers will shy away from a home if there are other offers on teh table, or being presented. I just wrote an offer for a Buyer inthe last hour for a home that just went on the market. They have already missed out on two other homes they really liked. Their first question was "Do you know of any other offers on this house?" because they don't want to miss out on this one too.

Hopefully this is helpful information.

Harlan Furbush
Associate Broker
RE/MAX Realty Group
Pittsford NY 14534
585-739-9409 cell
Bernard Brill, Agent, Clinton, NJ
Wed Jul 1, 2009
Yinyangina

Agency relationship and specifically seller agency obligates the seller agent to sell your property for the best term he can obtain for you ( price,closing date) consistent with your wishes. Likewise a buyer's agent is obligated to obtain the best terms he can for the buyer. In a nutshell, each is doing what is in the best interest of his respective client .

If the buyer's agent specifically asked your agent if there were any offers on the property, the seller's agent needs to be truthful about the situation. I have worked with some buyers who will not make an offer if there is already an offer on a property because they do not want the "hassle' of competing for a property. However, if there is an offer on your house, the seller's agent cannot divulge the particulars ( unless you give hm the authority to release the information to the buyer ) because it will compromise your negotiating power .

I would encourage you to talk with your agent to make sure your both are in synch on how best to market and show your house to prospective buyers.

Good Luck

Bernard (BJ) Brill

Email- Realtorbjb@gmail.com

Cell 908-797-6393

Website http://www.prudentialnewjersey.com/bj.brill
Cathy Barton, Agent, Fairport, NY
Wed Aug 1, 2012
The seller's agent is trying to get you an offer. By being honest with the Buyer's agent on this matter he/she is letting the Buying party open to writing an offer. The more information the Buyer has to work with the more likely he/she will be to write an offer. Your agent is doing the job you hired her/him to do.
Keith Sorem, Agent, Glendale, CA
Wed Jul 1, 2009
Y
How long has your property been on the market?

The rule of thumb is 10-12 showings or one offer in the first two weeks.

If the property has not had showing activity or offers and is accumulating market time, that is a very strong signal to buyers that the true market price is probably lower than the list price.

In the course of buying or selling a home the subject of "if there have been any offers" usually comes up.
Yinyanginga, Home Seller, Rochester, NY
Wed Jul 1, 2009
Thanks Bernard, that was helpful as it made me look at it slightly differently. Unfortunatly, as I overheard the whole conversation that is not what happened, he/she just mentioned that it was a lovely house and the he/she was supprised there had been no offers on it to date. I would not expect anyone to ever lie for me and if the buyers agent had asked that question it probably would not have hit me the same way. Telling a buyer there are no current offers being considered is one thing, but telling them they have not been any offers at all just seems to potentially dirty the waters to me.

Thanks again for your input.