can a realtor sell his house and be an agent for another house on the same street?

Asked by fisherbob23, South Riding, VA Thu Sep 6, 2012

Answers

7
Alan May, Agent, Evanston, IL
Fri Sep 7, 2012
I don't really see how it's a conflict of interest. The Realtor is interested in selling both homes at the highest price, in the shortest time. He's going to market both homes, and buyer's agents will make appointments to see both.

If his home shows better than yours... or is priced lower than yours... well, that's not really a conflict of interest, is it? If we're talking about your home... tell your Realtor that you'd like to "view" his home, since it's going to be competition with yours, and if you find it more appealing, you may want to consider if you should reduce your price accordingly.
dploves2sell…, Agent, Woodbury, NY
Tue Jul 28, 2015
In my opinion that would be wonderful for the other Seller. If the Realtor has customers that are not interested in his/her home, then the Realtor could take the customer to the other home. I think it would generate more activity. I think it's a win-win situation.
Aaron Sims, , Birmingham, AL
Sat Sep 8, 2012
I agree with Alan, also to think about. If I'm listing your home and my own home on the same street, I'm not just trying to sell your home, but I’m trying to earn your trust and confidence in order to earn your business in the future, and hopefully have you refer me to your friends and family when they are thinking about buying or selling a home. I have the potential to earn a lot more money making you happy and confident in my abilities then I’ll make selling just my, or just your home. A Realtor will make a small commission on selling a home, but will make a living earning your business and your referrals.
Best of Luck
fisherbob23, Home Buyer, South Riding, VA
Thu Sep 6, 2012
seems like a conflict of interest
, ,
Thu Sep 6, 2012
A licensed real estate agent can list any property they want once they have a signed agreement with the seller.
Alan May, Agent, Evanston, IL
Thu Sep 6, 2012
of course... why not ?
Jeffery Culp, Agent, Palm Desert, CA
Thu Sep 6, 2012
Yes of course, But always check with your local board of Realtor's If you have any questions about what a local agent may or may not do.