can I list my home for sale without a realtor agent?

Asked by Elizabeth A. Flaherty, Lititz, PA Fri Jul 9, 2010

Answers

7
dploves2sell…, Agent, Woodbury, NY
Wed May 6, 2015
Of course you can sell your home without a Realtor, but you should take into consideration the safety risks along with knowing or not knowing if your potential buyer is qualified to purchase your home or not. Without a Realtor, you are inviting total strangers into your home that may not even be able to afford it. It shouldn't cost you a thing to interview a couple of agents. Then decide. Commissions are negotiable.
Sajy Mathew, Agent, Lancaster, PA
Wed Feb 8, 2012
You can do that but in this current market it will be a tough to get the amount of exposure you need to most likely sel itl. The Spring market is around the corner, typically one of the busiest times in Lancaster County selling real estate. Don't get left behind with your home if you truly want to sell it because no one knew about it. Selling a home is all about marketing and getting the most people you can to view your home to hopefully attract the perfect Buyer. That is very difficult with a For Sale By Owner sign out front and a phone number on it. It really helps to have a strong real estate company helping you market your property. Lititz is a nice area, I have family that lives there. Let me know if I can help shed some more light on marketing your property to achieve the goals you desire. Call me at 717-587-5353 or email at sajy@sajymathew.com. I look forward to speaking with you soon.
My NC Homes…, Agent, Chapel Hill, NC
Wed Feb 8, 2012
On Trulia or Zillow sure you can. On your local MLS or Realtor.com no way, though I'm sure you can find a discount broker who would charge you a flat fee for an entry only listing.

The real question is why would you want to. Are you prepared to show your home everytime someone wants to see it. How's your marketing expertise? Negotiating skills? Familiariity with the contracts in PA? How do you plan on determing the price it will reasonably sell at?

There's lot's of things we can do on our own, the challenge is to realize when you'd be better off using someone who has the expertise and experience versus DIY and I'm in no position to advise you on this.

For every homeowner you speak with who might tell you how they sold their own home etc etc etc. I can tell you as a full time broker for over twenty years, over 905 who try end up using a Realtor and for good reason. You might be the exception, and depending on how much time you have it may not hurt to try.
Sharon Sapp, Agent, Reading, PA
Wed Feb 8, 2012
Elizabeth,

All of these answers are valid and may work for you. The biggest disadvantage of selling on your own is the limited exposure you have to potential buyers. You can do what Realtors do and put it out on hundreds of websites, including Craigslist. You can list with a discounted broker and pay for services ala cart, you can hire a Realtor to just do the paperwork as a transaction licensee, you can hire an attorney to do the paperwork, or you can handle a full service Realtor. All these options have advantages and disadvantages. Mostly it's a trade off between the amount of work you are willing to do vs what you are willing to pay for someone else to do. Just make sure that you screen buyers wanting to see your home that they are pre-approved and that if you do get a ready, willing and able buyer that you do all the paperwork and processes required by law.
Alison Han, , Los Angeles, CA
Fri Jul 9, 2010
I suggest craigslist. This website seems to be working best for FSBO listings.
Web Reference:  http://www.craigslist.com
Don Tepper, Agent, Burke, VA
Fri Jul 9, 2010
Sure.

Check out rockinblu's blog on selling FSBO--it's very good.

And here's an Amazon search for books on selling FSBO: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dap…

One step up from a pure FSBO is to list the property with a flat rate broker. That'll cost a few hundred dollars, but will get your property onto the MLS. Here's a Google search that'll bring up a lot of them: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls=com.microsoft%3Ae…

Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Fri Jul 9, 2010
If you are looking to post your property on Trulia--Trulia does not allow by owner posts, however you can try blogging about your property--if and when you do list with an agent, he/she can post it for you, just ask--or consider using a flat fee company that feeds into Trulia. If you are looking to sell your property on your own--yes, you can try selling yourself without an agent--if you choose that route do work with an attorney who specializes in real estate to handle all related paperwork. When selling on your own, do procced with caution when allowing strangers into your home; hide/remove any valuables.