Home Selling in Mayfair>Question Details

Robert Cobb, Other/Just Looking in Mayfair, Philadelphia,...

busy street

Asked by Robert Cobb, Mayfair, Philadelphia, PA Wed Jul 8, 2009

i live on levick above frankford,19149, my house has been on the market 48 days, mls5529491, we have had 6 showings about one per week, two were not credit qualified the other four liked the home but said the street was too busy....how do we overcome that? should we put in the description .....close to SCHOOLS, 1 block, close to shoping across st, close to septa, one block, 5 minutes from bridge st depot, would this be wise?

Answers

10
Since agents are still answering this question from July 2009, I am wondering if your house sold yet?
Maureen Fran…, Real Estate Pro in Birmingham, MI
Price solves all issues. Did you ever sell it or are you still stuck there?
It all depends on many factors of a home on busy street. There are parts of Dallas builders tear down the home butts up to busy street sale them for $1 mil + with no questions.

Matter of finding family you loves your home. You can have the prefect home, prefect location, prefect staging, prefect lay out, ideal community be on the market for years... THEN have ugly home with everything wrong with it have bidding wars.

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant,
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
Web Reference: http://www.lynn911.com
Dear Rob-
Your question requires a couple of different answers. So lets begin. 48 days on the market with 6 showings is not were you want to be first off. Some properties listed, described and priced correctly enjoy six showings the first week. I would start there. Is the MLS description catchy? Are the pictures "picture perfect"? Some agents feel that descriptions and pictures don't sell a house and this advice is flat out wrong. Nobody wants to waste their Saturday afternoon showing homes that are less than desirable. First you must "sell" the agent in order for them to suggest your home. Recheck the description; is it vague and ho-hum or does it invoke good feelings? Next revisit the photos. Are they blurry or show dirty dishes? Next revisit the price, is it correct? Or could a buyer get the same home for the same price on a "quiet" one way? As far as you adding the descriptions about being close to etc.....don't! Remember your idea of a busy street may not be another's idea of a busy street. Let the buyers decide for themselves! The way to sell real estate is to get buyers to your home; more buyers equal more offers, equal your home being sold. Visit my website linked below to check out FREE eBooks; Seller's Secret and 450 ways to Get Your Home Ready For Sale.
Robert A. Martini
REALTOR®, e-PRO®
Keller Williams Real Estate
Philadelphia PA
215.605.5497
Rob@PaDreamHouses.com
I have not checked the mls to see if you have sold the house. I am answering this question so that it will help anyone selling their house if it is on a busy street. You can not change the location but if the house is priced taking into consideration that it is on a busy street it should sell. In the description in mls it is good to add that it is close to shopping and transportation.I sold a house that backed up to a busy street and it was priced well below a house across from it on a cul de sac in the development. The buyers were thrilled that they could buy in the community.
Web Reference: http://www.gitabantwal.com
Robert - I started to asnwer this question, and saw that you posted it back in July .......so..........tell us..........has your home sold?
Obviously, you cannot change the location of your property so address the things you can control. Highlight the positive features of your house. Be sure to address price and presentation of your property. You will find a buyer that is willing to look past the busy street if they love everything else about your house. Some buyers may actually see the location as a positive (convenience). It might just take longer. Good luck!
I grew up visiting my mother's sister on Unruh Ave. in the 60's and 70's. I was back in the old neighborhood in 2007 and not much has changed. Busy streets are a fact of life in any urban area. It comes with the location. As a licensed real estate agent in Virginia now, we deal with this issue a lot. I agree with the other posters that you must price appropriately for the location, neighborhood and factor in the busy street.
Accept the fact that you will probably take a lower price because of that; but, what street in Mayfair isn't busy? So make it a plus. Emphasize the accessibility and convenience to the many amenities offered by this Northeast Philly location. Yes, I would definitely put those things in your listing description. If you don't have a real estate agent who understands how to market these kind of properties, then find someone else. Be patient. Good luck!
in this market it is price, price and price again. Your agent should be addressing this with you. What;s the norm for days on market in your area, on your street? Try to offset the noise by the positives you have to offer. Not all people want to be too close to schools either for exactly the same reason., noise.

Depending on the neccesity of moving and if you can't go much lower, then try a short sale. You will need to qualify with financials that prove you can't bring money to the closing table.

In most areas it will be a long time before real estate prices will tick up again. if we have inflation, well then the tide lifts all boats as we saw in the seventies.

There is always an option, grab the one that suits you best.
If you have an agent, I would speak to him/her about the listing information. If they aren't as marketing savvy as others, maybe you would like to speak to their Broker? Being on a busy street in this market really is a tough luck draw. You might be better off dropping the price, staying in the property, or looking for rentals until the market turns. Let me know if you need any additional information, and Good Luck.

Brian Fletcher
Lincoln Realty
610-312-3158