r.add123, Home Seller in Salt Lake City, UT

?repair it or sell as is?

Asked by r.add123, Salt Lake City, UT Tue Nov 6, 2012

Own a large older house with amazing view in a prestigous area. 2 of 6 showers leak. Would require ripping out tiling, repairing pipe.

Answers

9
kelly hudson, Agent, Exton, PA
Fri Nov 16, 2012
Be sure to disclose the repairs or adjust the sale price for the potential new owners to fix.
It depends, if you know it needs to be done and will enhance the cosmetic feature I say fix.
If it's older things such as a furnace AC Unit, etc...offer a home warranty.
Appliances always look better new! New paint, good curbside appeal and a clean house helps.
It's been said but ask an expert to come in (agent you trust) and get a few opinions. Or get your house appraised before you list it. Or a home inspection both offer comfort to you and the buyer.
Victor Gonza…, Agent, Beverly Hills, CA
Fri Nov 16, 2012
I'll keep it short but to the point...do you wish to sell at full price or at a discount for repairs? You have to decide what is best for your budget but realize if the new buyers are looking to live in the property they will prefer everything to be in tip top shape. Hope this helps. Thanks for posting your question!
Don Houskeep…, Agent, Orem, UT
Fri Nov 16, 2012
There is no simple answer. I would suggest a professional realtor in your are look at the home and give you a value. Some old homes are 'classic' and are worth puttng money into it. Some are just old homes.
and if you love it there and its in a prestigious area, I would go for it.
Also is it to flip or keep as a family home. The would be a major factor in what to do with it in my opinion
good luck
Edith Karoli…, Agent, Winnetka, IL
Wed Nov 7, 2012
Here it goes..... this is probably the hardest question for us to answer "long distance" for a good recommendation ---- But just some quick advice:

1st Get an experienced local Realtor to see your home, so that you get a good idea what the
potential list and sale price would or could be in the current condition....

2nd But prestigious neighborhood, great lot, great views, if showers leak it is a problem, buyers
will want those repaired before buying the home, often enough once for leaks the walls are
opened there is a bigger problem behind....

I think you would be well advised to have the leaks taken care of before putting the home on the
market, but then I do not know the market in your area, and not your home although it must be
a larger home with 6 showers, so ask your REaltor could it be that the next owner will do some
remodel for the home anyway, may be take out the shower and put in something else, hard to
tell not really knowing the style, the size of the home.... You need an area Expert for solid
advice.

if you need a recommendation for Salt lake City Utah, get back to me and I will be delighted to
refer some really good agents to you for consideration.

Sincerely yours,
Edith YourRealtor4Life & Chicago and Northern Illinois Expert

Working always in the very BEST interest of her clients, Buyers, Sellers and Investors alike....
And always with a SMILE
Covering for @Properties the city of Chicago, all N and NW suburbs, the fine homes on the
North Shore, and many of the W and SW suburbs, and with her trusted Partner Agents all of
the US and worldwide properties. Edith speaks French, German, some Spanish and other.....
@Properties, 30 Green Bay Rd, Winnetka, Illinois 60093 ---- EdithDoesItRight@yahoo.com or EdithSellsHomes@gmail.com Check out my website at htttp://www.tinyurl.com/MeetEdithHere
get to know me better and learn about my experience, expertise, services available and letters of recommendation of former clients..... Also you can sign up on my site to search for properties in my expanded service area. HAVE THE MOST WONDERFUL DAY :)
Micah Olson, Agent, Orem, UT
Tue Nov 6, 2012
A home with an amazing view, in a prestigious area is probably worth a fair amount of money these days (or could be if it is in good condition). If those are the only repairs needed you should probably fix them and then sell at top dollar. However, as is often the case, homes that need plumbing issues typically have other things that need to be fixed as well. If flooring is old, or paint is not pristine, if the kitchen is outdated, or the roof is questionable, etc (you get the picture) fixing JUST a few shower heads will not be very impactfull. This is a tough question without knowing the whole picture. Maybe take a look at similar homes for sale that you would be competing against, and then decide what you should do.
Juston Puchar, Agent, SLC, UT
Tue Nov 6, 2012
I have buyers that will purchase as is. That means less headache, hassle and expense for you in contracting and coordinating the repairs. But of course you will yield the highest return if you have this done prior to selling. the problem i see is some homeowners will make remodeling decisions based on what they want done, not what appeals to the masses. This can reduce the bottom line and end up costing more than it should. Let me know if you'd like a second opinion.
Reed Crandall, Agent, Salt Lake City, UT
Tue Nov 6, 2012
The cheshire cat would say: "If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there." How does this translate to your question and house? Before you can make great decisions, you need to know to what type of person you want to sell your house and where you want to end up in your financial notebook.

It sounds like your home needs some TLC (tender loving care). Several buyers would love to work with your home; however, they will not pay top dollar for it. This is one type of buyer and you will be able to sell quickly if priced right.

You can put a couple $k's into the home and have a very marketable home for "move-in-ready" buyers. There are several willing buyers with this mindset, but your home will take a little longer to sell before you can find the right buyer.

Another less likely option is to remodel much of the home then list your home for the higher end of market value. Families that chose this option typically have more of a business mindset and want to create value, which creates money to fill your wallet.

You have an awesome opportunity to make a decision! Best of luck to you!
Reed Crandall - Utah Select Realty - 801.210.0280
Scott Hodges, Agent, West Jordan, UT
Tue Nov 6, 2012
The bigger question is whether or not you have the money to fix the showers. Most homeowners that are selling their home don't want to spend a lot of money on repairs because they will not realize their investment when the home sells. Which is most likely true in your case. However, your house will undoubtedly sell more quickly and for more with the showers repaired. Buyers want clean homes in good working condition.

If you need a excellent tile shower repair person, I can help. He is very affordable and does quality work. His name is Russ

Best Wishes,

P.S. Call if you'd like his number!

Scott D. Hodges
Exit Realty Success
801 330 9368
The Brad Win…, Agent, Murray, UT
Tue Nov 6, 2012
To get top dollar I would suggest fixing it. Most buyers will have an inspection done and will find potential problems and either ask for you to fix it or ask for a credit. So you will end up fixing it anyways.